My Computer Refuses To Be Formatted

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been trying to format and install Windows XP Pro on my harddrive.

During the process, It wouldn't let me delete the partition XP was on, it refused to because is says that there are already files on the partition that are required to continue the setup.

Ever since I re-installed windows, when I come to the boot screen, before it goes to the "choose your user account screen" it says:

Please choose an operating system to run:

Windows XP Professional
Windows Xp Professional <---- should not be there

When I click the second option , it says

:We cannot run this OS because something is wrong with the hardware or something like that, I don't know how to get rid of this dual boot option.

In the process of re-installing, there are 3 partitions.

1: unused 3400 bytes
2: (NTFS) 76791209984 bytes
3: unused 7445 bytes

I think somehow I created a dual-boot by accident, and I don't know how to delete the dual boot to make it return back to the original way.

My true goal is to completely reformat my harddrive meaning, delete all files, user accounts, everything, and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro, but it won't let me delete my main partition so I don't know how to solve this problem.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Are you attempting to run the setup through windows or through DOS? If you are installing it through the CD Boot up sequel, it shouldn't even complain about files required on the partition.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like Sky said, are you doing this through command.com in windows or through a boot disk? You can also format it by inserting your windows cd into the drive and setting your cd-rom as a first bootable thing in bios. Then just press enter, f8 and press D on all the partitions. When there's only one big chunk, just click on it and format :|

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I understand WinXp computers are unable to run MSDOS, unless you have a boot floppy disc.

I don't really know what that means but I can tell you what it looks like.

When I insert the WinXPro CD, it pops up and says install, it then prepares and asks me for my key, I type it in, then the computer reboots, when it reboots it comes to a blue screen which I consider to be normal.

It tells me that there are 2 partitions, one is unused, and one is used.

It then asks me what partition I want to install it on, when I try to delete the partition with 75 GB, it doesn't let me and then tells me that I am unable to do so because their are system files folders on that partition that I required to continue the setup.

I have a Dell, and when it asks me on the boot screen "Press F2 to go to setup", I don't see the option of where I set the computer to fun from the boot CD.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Put in the Windows XP Installation CD in the CD-Rom drive and reboot your computer. It should say something like "Press any key to run Windows XP Setup" or something similar. This should happen before you see the WinXP Logo (boot logo). Press any key in order to launch setup once you see the "press any key" text. If it doesn't say anything like this (before the windows XP Boot Screen). Reboot the PC again, and you should see something like, press END to go to setup (Bios), and F8 to run Boot Screen, etc. Press the button to run the Boot sequel and select the cd-rom you have your CD in.

If you don't have such option, go to BIOS and set your CD-Rom on the top that it should run first (CD-Rom -> Hard Disk -> Floppy Drive)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow....Thank you so much FF

The entire problem the whole time, is that I didn't boot the disc from startup.

I booted the disk from startup, it fully formatted my computer, amd I have a fresh copy and now I am satisfied.

I appreciate all of the help.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Find an old CD copy of 98 and use FDisk if this happens again. It will delete ANYTHING off your HDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom