my computer doesn't pick up my cd and dvd drives

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hi there all, well for some time now, my computer doesn't seem to pick up that I have a dvd and cd drive connected to it, it hasn't always been this way, but I think after I formatted a while ago this happened.

When I go to my computer and look at where the drives are supposed to be I can't find them, only my hardrives and floppydisk drive are detected, I don't know what to do, i'm sure it's connected right, i've, because it does open when I press the button to open it and a tech guy has reconnected it before although I forgot to tell him about that problem and i'm not willing to pay $10 just to fix it(labor fee lol).

So please can anyone help me with this, I have stacks of cds and dvds I want to use but they're just sitting on my desk collecting dust, help!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The only thing I can think of is if you open up the computer, and look at the wires that are supposed to connect to the dvd/cd drive and go to the mobo and psu. If it opens up and closes, I know that you have at least the power running from it. So that's good.

So do this. Open her up, make sure you have the master and slave ribbons connected to it's appropriate drive, also called IDE ribbons. Also generally one of the pin holes is color coated so you know how it's supposed to be plugged in, the color coated one goes into the first pin (top left). And make sure it's also properly connected to your motherboard. Then go into your bios and make sure you have them set as master and slave. Also, in your bios it should say if it recognizes it or not, if it does you should be all set. If it doesn't uhhh, damn I dunno. I'm not that computer savvy. Maybe a bad cd drive, or ide ribbons or something. But I doubt it.

It's really that simple. It's just a matter of having everything plugged into where it needs to be. 1 plug for the motherboard, one for the psu. Done.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remove the device from the system (software wise) and reinstall the drivers and firmware. Failing that, yeah, open the system up and check the connections.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the computer doesn't detect that there's software at all i've checked at windows explorer and stuff it's not there, I've tried reconnecting everything into the PSU and motherboard still same prob, I guess I should download the drivers now, I hope it works.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Try connecting them one by one, if one of the drives is bad you'll find out that way. Make sure to set the jumper to master on each when trying them one by one.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should try all that from above. If you want to chec things out you should start the "Device manger" and see from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom