Music

zAS

Best answers
As I have already got for myself, i would recommend that the new version (seeing that it will have a certain level of stability) wold include directly the music from the Dragon Ball Z.

If the developers are interested, I can provide them with the music.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unfortunately we cant, due to the fact that it would be illegal to do so. Somebody else will probably elaborate, but we cant distribute copyrighted music over the internet without some sort of permission (and i think we've asked and it was declined)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I know the only permission we've recieved from Bruce Faulconer was to use his SSJ3 theme for the main in-game menu.

Anything else after that, I don't believe we have permission.

zAS

Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
unfortunately we cant, due to the fact that it would be illegal to do so. Somebody else will probably elaborate, but we cant distribute copyrighted music over the internet without some sort of permission (and i think we've asked and it was declined)

You say you cant copy MUSIC cus of copyright reasons, so how about the CHARACTERS? hmmmm

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have to buy the music. You don't have to buy the characters.
I thought that much would've been obvious.

zAS

Best answers
I believe the characters have copyright aswell.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
However the music is bought and sold seperately, the licence is different.

zAS

Best answers
So it's ok to copy "illegally" as someone mentioned the characters with one license, but not the music from a different license?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Making a game using the DBZ characters takes absolutely no money away from FUNimation or whoever holds the licence, since ESF is a free game.

Taking the music that Bruce Faulconer created, and sells on CD, to use in-game, takes profit away from him, and is thus very illiegal.

I hope that clears a few things up for you.

zAS

Best answers
I would like to add that the only way the creators of this game are getting away with it (please correct me if I'm wrong) is because it's a freeware. If you had to buy this game the creators would be in serious trouble for stealing the characters, names, environments, etc. from the originals of Akira Toriyama. I believe the same rule applies to the music.

zAS

Best answers
Hi pain, I just read your last message and I see you agree with me on the freeware subject. But your missing an important fact, the publishing of the music of DBZ on a game is EXACTLY the same as showing the characters of DBZ on the game, regardless of WHO holds the licence.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll put it this way then, one guy wrote the story, designed the characters, we dont have his permission, and we dont have toei animations permission for using their sounds for characters, or funimations for their dub sounds, however, we do not include entire episodes, neither do we tell the story. This becomes a free advertisement for them, as its free, they arent loosing anything by letting us continue with this project, because we not only introduce people to the series but maintain its interest. We arent using enough of their product for somebody to not watch dbz, somebody isnt going to say " yeah! now i have goku saying "kame hame - ha!" on my computer, im not gonna buy that dvd now to watch the show because im happy with these 2 second sound files. However with a song, you are taking the whole of somebody's work, not advertising, or helping them in any way, because you are directly supplying people with that, and therefore there is no need for you to buy the music if we give it out for free, that leads to loss in sales, and that leads to us getting sued or told to "cease and decist(sp?) or legal action would be taken".

So, after you've thought a little and taken that all in, maybe you'll realise that a 5 year long project has 99% most likely had suggestions like this before, and if it was turned down its for a good reason.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
zAS said:
Hi pain, I just read your last message and I see you agree with me on the freeware subject. But your missing an important fact, the publishing of the music of DBZ on a game is EXACTLY the same as showing the characters of DBZ on the game, regardless of WHO holds the licence.
I am going to have to disagree with you on that. As I've said, if we start takihng profit away from someone, it becomes an illiegal venture.

As well, please do not double post. If you've got something to add before someone else has responded, you may edit your previous post.

*edit*
Dave gave a very good summary. :yes:

zAS

Best answers
OK Davidskiwan, well with knowing that, why not include the songs in a not .mp3 format so the users can listen to whenever they want. Also, not play song after song but play partions and remixes? I would believe that that would reach the conditions you have set for the characters and the "kame hame ha" sound clip".

Thanks, and remember I'm jsut trying to help, not to attack you!!!

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm im not sure of the legalities of what you're suggesting, but i believe with any remix you do needs written permission to be distributed (im no musician >_>). With songs not in mp3 format, that would be hard to do, because the game can only play certain types of sound files, and scince its an 8 year old game, most modern software is probably capable of playing anything compatable with halflife. Also it may still be illegal to have it distributed, as most copyrights say "not for distribution, in any format". I dont think samples are really what we'd like to see in the finished project, we'd rather have songs which are complete and sound proffesional for the final version, thats why we're open to offers for original music.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Creating a model from scratch in the likeness of a DBZ character, is a lot different than ripping copyrighted music.

It's not a hard concept.

zAS

Best answers
Well all i say is that on the final version don't put obligatory music, cus i HAVE to play with my DBZ music to play it right :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
zAS said:
Well all i say is that on the final version don't put obligatory music, cus i HAVE to play with my DBZ music to play it right :)
Which is why ESF has a customizable mp3 player, we can't legally put the official music on, but what people do on their own computers is beyond our control. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, the team got permission from Bruce himself to use the SSJ3 music? I know the music is in the game, I just never really thought about it much.

That's awesome. Could someone please provide me with some insights as to how this came about?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Wow, the team got permission from Bruce himself to use the SSJ3 music? I know the music is in the game, I just never really thought about it much.

That's awesome. Could someone please provide me with some insights as to how this came about?
I believe Freedom E-Mailed him, and he accepted.

Anyway, even if we could include all the DBZ music with the game, that would make for one hefty installer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom