Multimanager + Env_Shake

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright. What I'm trying to do is get the env_shake to activate at different time intervals with the multimanager. I gave the multimanager a name (mm) gave it a delya of 20.00, and added the name of the env_shake entity (shake) as a name and game it a value of 10.00 and I also added the multimanager so it would continously trigger itself to trigger the env_shake.
With the multimanager I selected multithreaded under the tabs so that it doesn't tangle itself up.

Now the problem is that it doesn't work when I load up a map. I've heard that it doesn't work when you get a multimanager to trigger itself, anyone care to elaborate?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best way is to have 2 multimanagers

the first triggers the second and the second triggers the first.

Than put difrent numbers in for the env_shake.

Basicly it would look like this

Multimanager 1 triggers shake 6 times

So the advanced tab would be

name mm
shake 5
shake#1 19
shake#2 28
shake#3 34
shake#6 58
mm2 65

And multimanager 2 could be similar.

name mm2
shake 10
shake#1 19
shake#2 38
shake#3 44
shake#7 68
mm 75

That way you allways have a loop going.

And you dont need to use multithreaded.

The only thing you need is one trigger that starts the loop. You can place a trigger_once over the whole map so when the first player joins he triggers the first one. Than when other players join the loop is already active on the server.

This method works perfectly. I already tested it with some other entities ^^

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Best way is to have 2 multimanagers

the first triggers the second and the second triggers the first.

Than put difrent numbers in for the env_shake.

Basicly it would look like this

Multimanager 1 triggers shake 6 times

So the advanced tab would be

name mm
shake 5
shake#1 19
shake#2 28
shake#3 34
shake#6 58
mm2 65

And multimanager 2 could be similar.

name mm2
shake 10
shake#1 19
shake#2 38
shake#3 44
shake#7 68
mm 75

That way you allways have a loop going.

And you dont need to use multithreaded.

The only thing you need is one trigger that starts the loop. You can place a trigger_once over the whole map so when the first player joins he triggers the first one. Than when other players join the loop is already active on the server.

This method works perfectly. I already tested it with some other entities ^^
You lost me after "So the advanced tab would be".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think he means you enable :smart: at the Multimanager's properties, I'm not too sure though, I've never used Multi manager myself for big stuff, try that then you add new stuff that it triggers or something and then you can set the value, etc. I'm not sure though, but that's what I think/

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. If you enter the same name a second time a #X is added where X is the number of how many times you enterd the name.

Just make shure the difrence in trigger time is longer than the time that the env_shake entity is active.

and yes i ment deactivate smart edit ^^

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to try it in a few minutes... I need to finish building a treadmill for a map. (I started two new maps today, suprised?)

So I need two multi_managers and one env_shake entity. One multi_manager will just trigger the other multi_manager, while the multi_manager that triggers the env_shake will trigger the other multi_manager?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
I'm going to try it in a few minutes... I need to finish building a treadmill for a map. (I started two new maps today, suprised?)

So I need two multi_managers and one env_shake entity. One multi_manager will just trigger the other multi_manager, while the multi_manager that triggers the env_shake will trigger the other multi_manager?
Why waste one multimanager to trigger only one thing.

You can make both multimanagers trigger the env shake entity AND continue the loop. A multimanager suports up to 15 difrent trigger events if im not mistaken. You can use one multimanager to trigger env_shake 14 times and than continue the loop. Same goes for the other ^^

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I got it to work. Now, how would you have it where whenever the shake is triggered a sound file plays until the shake stops?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats easy
There are 2 ways.

First the easy way (requires one entity more than the long way)

Simply make a multimanager that triggers the sound and the env shake entity. And make it stop the sound when the time comes. If the env_shake is set to 5 seconds do this in it

name mm
shake 0
sound 0
sound#1 5

And make shure the sound is set to toggle. That way you can turn it on or off. Ir just make a 5 second long sound file That way you only need

name trigger
shake 0
sound 0

that since the sound automaticly stops after 5 seconds ^^

Than replace the shake in the looped multimanagers with the name of the multimanager that triggers sound and shake.

So it would look like this:

name mm
trigger 5
trigger#1 19
trigger#2 28
trigger#3 34
trigger#6 58
mm2 65

Long way:

name mm
shake 5
sound 5
sound#1 10
shake#1 19
sound#2 19
sound#3 24
shake#2 28
sound#4 28
sound#5 33
shake#3 34
and to on.
mm2 65

Basicly adding the trigger for the sound to the multimanager. Again if you do that you have a lot more work. And you can also trigger the event less times. Since each sound uses up 2 (or 1 trigger event if you have teh sound length 5 seconds).

In best case using the long way gets you 7 env_shake activations per multimanager while the easy way keeps that number 14 env_shake entities per multimanager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom