Best answers
This is a battle to see what is better and which sucks
i am not gonna use this as my own way of thinking cause i have MS3D
------------------------------------------------------
MS3D ALL THE WAY!!!!!! :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't compare MS3D with Wings 3d. They're both different modeling programs, and have different features.

Best answers
well.. Milkshape is easyer to use, but I have never used wings3d...

My personal favorite.. MAYA 6.0!!!!

MAYA ROCKSSSSS balls

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would use maya, but I just don't get the darn controls. =(

Best answers
IMO, Maya is the best modelling program and the hardest to learn. Unless you have previous experience with other modelling software (I used 3DSMax before I got hold of Maya) DON'T go for Maya. Instead, try something easy to use, something like MilkShape 3D. Allthough far inferior to Maya, MS3D is a good choice for a beginner. If you are serious about modelling, then try something more advanced, something with rich features, like Lightwave, Softimage XSI, or 3DSMax (wich is the closest thing to Maya I've ever seen). If you can't afford buying 3DSMax and you don't want to get stuck with only a trial version, then you could get Gmax, 3DSMax's little brother :) It doesn't have it's own renderer and it lacks some of its older brother's features too but it is your best shot.
Off topic: Did I make any grammar/spelling mistakes in this post? English is my second language so expect some stupid spelling mistakes :)

Best answers
Like everyone said its a bad comparison. Wings is box modeling, Milkshape is pbp. If you wanna know which you should use, maya and 3dmax are industry standards. Wings is closer to these. Id use wings just to get a good grasp of structure. Modeling is broken down into hot keys with wings so its alot easier to pick up. As soon as Im more confident with my overall form im moving up to maya.

I wouldnt use milkshape. It gave me basic pbp experience, but otherwise, its crappy. And wings compared to maya is crappy. Wings is just simplified.

Best answers
milkshape did nothing but slow me down from getting better at modelling

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
indeed...everyone raves about it... but milkshake has no good features except that it can export to most games and can write qc files. thats it. it has no really useful modeling tools... it basically blows.

as far as i have seen, wings is a close representation to things like max, it has edge vertex face and element editing tools, and a uwv mapper... cant be too shabby i guess..

im starting to learn softimage for modeling tho... its so complex. max for teh win on that!!!

XSI for animations...it pwns all over max >;0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.Lightwave 8
2. Maya
3. 3dsm
4.softimage XSI
5. Ms3d

;)

Best answers
Id put maya and 3dmax above lightwave o.o Looking at jobs at places like monster.com, i never once saw them requiring light wave experience, it was either maya or 3dmax.

And gir's got it prett on, its a great modeling tool and wings can produce some amazing work. Im not sure my route would be best though, it probably would of been easier on me just to start with maya or 3dmax.

And soft image XSI is very good as well, but it confuzzled me. ;p

Best answers
just cause I company doesn't use it it doesn't mean it's better, atm I think you can put lw8 next to or even above maya with all the new tools and dynamics

Best answers
Well, in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Each 3D modelling software has its own strengths and weaknesses so there is no such thing as "the best". Each of them shines in certain areas, such as the ease of use, the tools, its interface etc. so think what you want to do before you buy the software: animation, game models etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom