mp3 compressors

Best answers
Any of you guys know of any good Mp3 compressors meaning A program that can make an Mp3 file Smaller.... thnx

Best answers
Well do you mean to keep on your comp? If you dont mind it being in a file thingy then i suggest WINRAR Just clikc where it says "WinRAR 3.50" It compresses like all files if you want it to. Just right click the thing you want compressed and click "add to archive" then choose its compression method if yo select "best" it will save more space. THen you just delete the original that you compressed cause it'll be in an icon that looks like a couple of books.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's the thing about compressing an mp3 file. You see, an mp3 is already a compressed file. So compressing it again isn't going to give you much of a size decrease.

For example, I compressed a 5,206kb mp3 file using the standard Windows zip compressor. The zip file is 5,152kb.

So in terms of compressing an mp3 file. It's not really worth it if you're goal is reducing the file size.

Best answers
bobmundo123 said:
I already have winrar , but how do i use it to compress an mp3 file?
right clikc the MP3 file and select "add to archive" the MP3 itself will not be compressed for you to use but you can "store" it (in a sense) in a RAR you can access and listen to it all you want just the same when it is in a RAR however if you wanted to compress it for your ESF Play List editor I'm afraid I know not of any such ways.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're talking about compressing an mp3 file, while keeping it as a mp3 file. You're best bet would be to reduce the bit-rate. While I don't know any other methods of going about this personally. You could convert the mp3 to a wav file using an mp3 to wav converter. And re-compressing the wav as an mp3 using sound recorder at a lower bit-rate than the original mp3.

For example, converting a 192kb mp3 file to a 128kb bitrate would decrease the file size.

There might be other, simpler ways out there, it's just that I don't know them personally.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can use dbpoweramp to decrease the bitrate from .mp3 format to .mp3 format without messing with a .wav, which will cause more loss. Still, you shouldn't do this. Leave it as is, since lowering the bit rate from where it is will lower the sound quality.

Best answers
I like to point one more thing out. When dealing with WinRar then you click "Add to archive"
Ore whatever then click on the "Advanced" button (found in the upper edge)
Then find sutch thing as "Dictionary size" set thrat to 64 ore what ever is the lowest.
That reduces some space aswell but with mp3 it makes little difference. (but little is still better than nothing?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom