Moving out.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just wondering if any of you have gone through this? If you have any advice or tips or whatever they'd be appreciated. It's a pretty big thing I guess, but it's gotta happen sooner or later. In April roughly I'll be heading off. I'm in
Perth now (Australia) and will be moving to Brisbane. That's pretty much the other side of the continent. I'll be going with my girlfriend of about a year, and we've been planning this for atleast 6 months. Pretty much everything is sorted out. I just have to get my drivers license done which is a WIP atm.

C&C (rofl)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I just got my drivers license a few days ago. :D

I dont really have any good tips on moving out but I wish you all the luck in the world.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm trying to find after something new... like you cant forget the old thing so you have to step to something new.. whats fun for you again...

(hope this helped)

nway gl with the driver license

k, i gues i crited everything for now ( :D )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry man I didn't understand that in the least.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Make sure you bring EVERYTHING with you, you don't want to have to double-back/have crap shipped to you later.

Make a list and double-check it :p

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You want my advice? Make sure you guys love each other, a lot. You're what, 17 and you guys have been going out a year? Moving out and into a new place can be scary enough, let alone with a girlfriend. I mean, what happens if you guys break up? Then what?

I know I might sound a lot like a mom here, but I've seen it happen too many times. I've seen couples who have been going out for 3 years move in together, only to break up later and move back home.

My girlfriends brother was engaged and living with his fiance, and even in this case, she called it off, and he had to move back home.

It might sound like a great idea on paper, but you're still young, and there's a lot of things you may have not taken into consideration when planning this out with your girlfriend.

I know this is my own circumstance, but I would never move into a new place with my girlfriend until we're both done university, and have jobs and the financial backing we'd need.

KyoKusanagi

K
- Always, always have a backup plan incase things go wrong.

- Things are more expensive than you first seem - particularly rent. You can be certain that rent is paid in calendar months rather than the stated weekly rate. Don't forget to factor in the cost for stuff like utilities, food, internet etc.

- Find a place as close to public transport as you can or as close to the place where you need to be going. Just makes things that much easier.

- Have you thought about stuff such as appliances? It may not seem like much, but a washing machine and a decent sized fridge are just two of the whitegoods you tke for granted.

- Don't forget you need to pay a bond on the place you rent. And it can be very difficult to find a place unless you have rental history.

Good luck to you! I've recently moved out of home and I can tell you its not easy, but it is infinitely rewarding.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We are lucky enough that money isn't an issue, I'm quite thankful for that. We've considered everything you've mentioned kyokusanagi, thanks or your input :).

You want my advice? Make sure you guys love each other, a lot. You're what, 17 and you guys have been going out a year? Moving out and into a new place can be scary enough, let alone with a girlfriend. I mean, what happens if you guys break up? Then what?

I know I might sound a lot like a mom here, but I've seen it happen too many times. I've seen couples who have been going out for 3 years move in together, only to break up later and move back home.

My girlfriends brother was engaged and living with his fiance, and even in this case, she called it off, and he had to move back home.

It might sound like a great idea on paper, but you're still young, and there's a lot of things you may have not taken into consideration when planning this out with your girlfriend.

I know this is my own circumstance, but I would never move into a new place with my girlfriend until we're both done university, and have jobs and the financial backing we'd need.
I completely get your angle, and I'm far from stupid enough to go through with this if I even had the slightest doubt about our relationship, I know considering my age, and more importantly my lack of life experience that this may not be the smartest long term desicion. As for your anecdotes, after releavling our plans to people close to me I've also been told several stories along the same lines, I guess theres no guarantee that this is going to be sugar and candy, for the start I understand it's going to be very far from it- though the things we've been through and delt with on our own, I'm positive we can get through it.

Anyway your input is really appreciated- your speaking from experince and the experince of those close to you. It gives your advice credibilty and I'm taking it in seriously, though if I hadn't have considered everything you'd mentioned already, I'd be going about this in a very naive way.

Make sure you guys love each other, a lot.
I'm not quite sure this is somthing you can 'make sure of' It's just happens, it's there or it's not. I'm lucky enough to have that with her, and as circumstances were the only way we could keep that is by moving. There wasn't a doubt in my mind or hers that this is what we wanted. If it happens to end after I move the so be it. I'd much rather have given this a shot and have it **** up, than never known what could've happened.

Thanks anyway.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wheres_warren said:
We are lucky enough that money isn't an issue, I'm quite thankful for that. We've considered everything you've mentioned kyokusanagi, thanks or your input :).

I completely get your angle, and I'm far from stupid enough to go through with this if I even had the slightest doubt about our relationship, I know considering my age, and more importantly my lack of life experience that this may not be the smartest long term desicion. As for your anecdotes, after releavling our plans to people close to me I've also been told several stories along the same lines, I guess theres no guarantee that this is going to be sugar and candy, for the start I understand it's going to be very far from it- though the things we've been through and delt with on our own, I'm positive we can get through it.

Anyway your input is really appreciated- your speaking from experince and the experince of those close to you. It gives your advice credibilty and I'm taking it in seriously, though if I hadn't have considered everything you'd mentioned already, I'd be going about this in a very naive way.

I'm not quite sure this is somthing you can 'make sure of' It's just happens, it's there or it's not. I'm lucky enough to have that with her, and as circumstances were the only way we could keep that is by moving. There wasn't a doubt in my mind or hers that this is what we wanted. If it happens to end after I move the so be it. I'd much rather have given this a shot and have it **** up, than never known what could've happened.

Thanks anyway.
At least you're not jumping into this with your eyes closed. And I respect that. Good luck in the future warren.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, it looks like you've got everything in line. I can offer you no advice that hasn't already been said, and to be honest, I'm not even sure if you really need any advice.

Good luck!

Best answers
Moving out was the best thing ever in my life.

But it can also be the worst thing to happen in your life if you dont know what you were doing.

Pretty much just watch you back, people will **** you over every chance they get, no matter where you live.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll be leaving smeg all alone in perth :p. I wish you luck, as for anyone going to a new palce & not knowing anyone can be scary (unless you have family up there, then i'd say it might be easier to get settled in). Make sure the place you get is somethnig you guys can afford & still have a bit of money for luxry items and the basic living requirements. If you have any bad habits that consume money (such as smoking), try quitting a habit of what ever it may be. Make sure you guys spend time together, & tell her how much you mean to her and treat like you normally would, with the up most respect and understanding.

Against all odds, relationships that move along like this always prove to have a spark, but if you have problems sit down and talk about it and get to a point on something where oyu and her feel happy & agree about whatever it may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom