Movie Poster homework assignment

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, as some of you know, I have recently begun on a graphics design school. Well, sort of, hard to explain what kind of school it is. Anyway, one of my assignments is to make a movie poster. Only requirements were that it was this size, the movie had to be called "It came from beneath" (how cheesy is that). So cheesy as the title was, I came up with some crappy horror movie.

Not having used Photoshop in...quite some time now, years maybe even, my skills are a bit rusty. But this is what I came up with:

Everything is made by myself (Yes, that is my hand you see there!), cracks in the font, modifying the arm and gravestone, except for the gravestone picture itself, had to find that one.

Still a bit iffy on the "It came from Beneath" and "Georgia Clownley"(Haha, get the joke...GEORG(E)ia CLO(O)wNeY, ha...haha....yeah...) font. Anyone know a better font for that? I can add the cracks in myself, but just need a better font for it. Still have the .PSD, so I can still change a couple of things, but for not having used Photoshop in such a long time, I like how it came out.

Crits, comments? Mind though, it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. This would probably get a quite good grade from the teacher, but I could always use comments for a next assignment.

Last edited:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The hand screams left for dead and if you wouldn't have written about the gravestone, I wouldn't have noticed it. Other than that, it actually fits the title.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i like,but something that i think that you can change:
i think that the name of the film must be more big or the gerogy cloney more tinny because is too big(and the name of the actor must be more tinny,and the name is the most important part)
is a horror film,the font can be in red (dark red or something like that could be better)
about the font,the effect is nice but you can find more in datafont.
tha hand i think that one more light will be more nice.
because the poster is too dark,add some blood effect and this will look great.
i also going to begin grafic desing (8 oct)
i hope help you

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^ what he said..

I can see you concentrated more on the details of the background and not the text itself. Also its all centered composition, work things out a little

p.s. take red colors that you used on the hand and implement them in text and other parts of the bg

make that credits and **** dark red and the date heavy red

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks like a real Movie Poster to me.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks nice.

BTW i loled at the premiere date.

21/12/2012

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am honest Deatshot, I have never seen that movie poster before. That's just pure coincidence, hahaha. :p

@ Elcor: Name of the star actor can be bigger than the title, really depends on how 'famous' the actor is really. And I could change the font color of the movie name to a dark red color, but it probably wouldn't mix too well with the dark background and a brighter red color would make it looks somewhat cheesy again, something which I tried to evade (just look at the Day of the Dead poster, pure cheesy-ness :p). Ah well, it never hurts to try, so I'll try some red in the texts later on.
Still, it really depends on what type of screen your using, my screen is somewhat lighter than most screens, so it might look different for me.

But I really appreciate the crits, thanks for them elcor!

@Denz: What do you mean, should I spread out the text more? Usually posters have this type of layout (at least, I assume) so you can read everything in one blink of an eye and they'll know everything they want to know. Not having to 'search' the entire poster for any information they want on the movie.

@Grega: Hehe, at least someone got that joke. :p

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahahaha Its cool.
The Movie poster you made is way better anyway. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i found some font for you:
1-http://www.dafont.com/shaun-of-the-dead.font

2-http://www.dafont.com/csnpwdt.font

3-http://www.dafont.com/vtc-night-of-the-d.font

se more in :
DAFONT

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL @ 2012

The hand is a little too faded.

It needs some life... maybe add some clown colors like green, yellow, white, or red.

Or, have a clown nose on the ground.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Worked on it some more, more or less a proof of concept:

- Gave the text a red color, I like how it turned out so it makes the text stand out more. Then again, it is hardly readable now(had to put a 1px border around it to make it readable at all), so it will need some more work. Different font and fontsize will probably fix it. Gonna check if I can do something with a similair font that elcor posted, the Shaun of the Dead one.

- Gave the hand a slightly red hue to give the whole poster some more color.

- Dodged a bit around with the gravestone, made the grass below stand out a bit more, also brings back some of the green color and makes it look a bit crispier.

- Tried to add a clown nose. Synth, you sir, are a genious. But I haven't had enough time to make it blend in with the background, so I'll get back on that one later. ;)

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no no no. its too dark to use red there. use it on the ones i told you. also it reads, G eorgia. too much space there, lighten up the arm, also looks like some of the fingers are clipping into the bg. bigger name for the moveh and smaller for the actorzorg. maybe scale horizontally the date text and add some blured white flash behind it.. i said play a little

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, the text issue will probably resolved if I take a different font, and maybe make the color slightly lighter. I definitly wouldn't change the color of the credits, because that would be even harder to read on a black background, plain white is perfect for it.

Funnily enough, the spacing between all the letters is exactly the same, I had Photoshop do it for me. But, it's just the font being crappy, changing fonts that actually has correct spacing will fix this problem as well, and will modify the size of it as well.

The essence of the poster is to show the name of the movie and to make the hand stand out, so changes to the credits and date are not needed in my personal opinion. They would just make this over-complicated, and adds no extra value.

Also, is the hand really that dark? It shows up quite nice on my screen, in my opinion not too dark, or too light. Making it much lighter would just screw the quality of the hand and make it grainy. It's supposed to look dark: it's a graveyard at night, and adds to the "horror" atmosphere. And yeah, I noticed the clipping, :p I think I accidently slipped with a brush when making the hand and deleted part of my finger. Not much I can do about that though, had to flatten the layers to properly add a tonemapping filter on top of it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well isnt too dark,but a bit of light would be better,the problem is that the background is dark,the stone is dark,and the hand is a bit dark. add some sky in the top of the poster like clouds. could be nice ( dark clouds)
like this:

or
this more dark:

i only trying to said that it look like the zombie is going to go out of the ground.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Clouds definitly wouldn't work in this poster. The entire perspective is at knee height, so you wouldn't even be able to see any clouds. The entire picture is dark because (i) it is night time, and (ii) it is supposed to add to the horror-ish theme of the poster. It is not supposed to be a picture perfect recreation of the reality. That way you can make certain things stand out more. The gravestone is quite dark, but compared to the rest of the picture it is actually relativly light in brightness. This way, the hand can be a bit darker (again, adding to the horror theme: "What is it I see there in the distance? I can't make it out because the night is so dark") Making it any lighter would make the hand and the details (including the details of the brushes I used to make the cuts in the arm) look washed out.

I would've really wanted to use your idea with the clouds, I actually thought of it myself. But the main problem with it is, to add those clouds, I'd have the change the entire perspective of the image, making the perspective wider(you'd stand further away from the gravestone). So I would have to place the gravestone further to the back, normally I would be fine with doing that; but I am stuck with a rather low resolution (595px × 842px) so the further I would place the gravestone (and hand) back, the lower their resolution would get: further declining the quality of the hand. And the hand already lost an immense amount of detail. Imagine it, the original picture I took of my hand was made at 8 megapixels (3600x2400ish), and resizing that to a far smaller...what is it, 600x150? It lost quite a bit of detail.

There are many more things you have to keep in mind, especially working with such low resolutions. Details get lost, and exposing them to brighter lights (by making the hand brighter) would show them. Making it look crappy, and taking away the dark horror theme.

Oh and the zombie is supposed to look like it's coming out of the ground :p that's the entire point of the gravestone. ;)

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
don't explain why it is, just fix things, so that it "isn't" anymore..

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
don't explain why it is, just fix things, so that it "isn't" anymore..
He explains things because he doesn't want to and will not fix them and he thus thinks that he needs to explain to the "proposer" why he will not fix the issues the "proposer" suggested.

IMO, the poster is already great. Put this on an expensive paper and flop it to a wall and I'd think it was a real movie, which is the persepctive I like to look from, more than from just a technical point of view.

Am impressed, excellent job I would say, no crits here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom