Movie of The week :: Android 18 Motion Capture

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Enjoy this Android 18 Idle Motion Capture. The real person standing there is MastaSurf, which has been done when we (Ready, Harsens, Me, Masta) have met some time ago. This is a Streamed video, you can either view it online or download it if you wish to do so.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this going to be 18's idle animation or something? :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hopefully DT can rig it up to that yes ^^

Well similar to that XD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy crap, nice. Sure the system can support this, but will you do it?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys have motion capture suits now??? Jesus, doesn't that equipment cost an assload of money? I like the idea, but won't these ultra-detail animations mesh improperly with the hand-made ones?

Or...does this mean the ESF team is remaking all the animations using this...? Obviously you can't do that for every animation; some just require too much wild movement, but wow how sweet it would look. Hey...is this why you guys have taken out all the character sounds? To remake them and then use motion cap to have someone sync the actual audio to their motions in the suit? Transformations would be soooo badass that way!

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
J-Dude, we don't have such equipment. We went to Harsen's university where he is an employee there. And we made quite a few animations in a couple of hours.

Best answers
But are they going to let you use it for all the anims?

Best answers
Too bad. It would've been fun to see the others...

But are the one's (which you've used the suit to make) going to be used in a future release? preferably the next one?

Best answers
im lost howcome it will cost so much? what will cost so much and what is it

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im lost howcome it will cost so much? what will cost so much and what is it
Animations like the one shown are made with motion capture suits. These suits have sensors at all the proper points which record either the exact motion of certain control points on your body, or just record what angle all your limbs are in relation to each other. These sensors translate the data from the suit into an animation that can be used on a 3D character. Movies like "Monster House" use this a lot to achieve life-like motions and lessen workload. However, due to how complex the technology is, it's extremely expensive to own. Last time I checked, somewhere in the $2,000 range.

Best answers
Animations like the one shown are made with motion capture suits. These suits have sensors at all the proper points which record either the exact motion of certain control points on your body, or just record what angle all your limbs are in relation to each other. These sensors translate the data from the suit into an animation that can be used on a 3D character. Movies like "Monster House" use this a lot to achieve life-like motions and lessen workload. However, due to how complex the technology is, it's extremely expensive to own. Last time I checked, somewhere in the $2,000 range.
We use optical motion capture, so retroreflective balls, stuck to the body, that are captured by multiple (6 in our case) high speed (120fps) infrared cameras. The whole system costed something like $100,000-$200,000. I recently informed about a software upgrade. That alone would be $15,000.

Exoskeletal suits like these: http://www.animazoo.com/products/gypsy5.htm would be a tad cheaper, but certainly not in the $2000 range.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yet another reason I was sad to miss Beer at harsens' ;P 'course I woulda done nothing but innappropriate things :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom