Mouse wheel stopped working (hardware, not software)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, been using the same reliable old mouse since I got my computer in 2005. And just today, I'm scrolling with it, and away goes the resistant clicking sound, and instantly it stops reacting to it. Figured out how to take the mouse apart and cleaned it out inside, all manner of hair in it, along with some earwax-like gunk along the wheel itself and it's parts. I got rid of hair that wound itself around the spinning parts, and I'm sure the mouse on the whole moves much better than before, but for the life of me I can't get whatever gear causes the clicking to start back up.

Anyone know how mouses work well enough to fix this? I don't want to get a new one unless there's nothing else I can do.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, been using the same reliable old mouse since I got my computer in 2005. And just today, I'm scrolling with it, and away goes the resistant clicking sound, and instantly it stops reacting to it. Figured out how to take the mouse apart and cleaned it out inside, all manner of hair in it, along with some earwax-like gunk along the wheel itself and it's parts. I got rid of hair that wound itself around the spinning parts, and I'm sure the mouse on the whole moves much better than before, but for the life of me I can't get whatever gear causes the clicking to start back up.

Anyone know how mouses work well enough to fix this? I don't want to get a new one unless there's nothing else I can do.
same thing happend to me i had to buy a new one once the gear goes it carnt be repared and that ear wax gunk is greece so the wheels keep on moving

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
so the mouse wheel doesn't work at all or is just the "clicking" that's not working?

If the wheel doesnt scroll it's probably a worn/broken gear, cant really do much.

The clicking is usually caused by a wire spring type thing that stops the wheel from spinning freely, reasons for that should be fairly obvious.

It sounds as though that spring has popped out, if thats case putting it back in the right spot is pretty dang tedious and without knowing how it was originally placed.........it not worth the frustration to get it back in unless your good at figuring things out without a reference.

what mouse is it btw?

I actually pulled the thing out of one of my mice for the smoother scrolling:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom