Motherboard fan noises :'x

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My motherboard's fan has started making noises like it's working really hard, happens only when my CPU usage is really high, while playing games or encoding a video for example.

I'm 90% sure it's the motherboard fan making the noises because everytime that this noise appears there's warm air coming out from the top of it, stronger and warmer than usual.

It comes and goes only on certain situations, I tried cleaning dust but it didnt seem to solve the problem...
My fear is that my Mo-bo will overheat cause of it or something and I will lose my whole system, again. =P

Any suggestions besides replacing the fan? it's simple to do, I just want to be 100% sure before I do it.

Best answers
It's going faster because it's trying to cool down the heat from more CPU usage. Seems perfectly normal to me, unless it's making a really terrible sound (like scratching or something).

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's going faster because it's trying to cool down the heat from more CPU usage. Seems perfectly normal to me, unless it's making a really terrible sound (like scratching or something).
It's definatly not normal, I have my computer for a year and a half now and it only started making these noises a while ago...
My computer is usually quiet, really quiet.
The noises are not scratching, more like the fan spinning really fast, it comes and goes.

Jakut said:
Have you checked your temps?
Umm nope, how do I do that? =p

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
well you could just go out and buy a new cooler for the chipset to be on the safe side if you suspect your old one to behave odd

Best answers
It's definatly not normal, I have my computer for a year and a half now and it only started making these noises a while ago...
My computer is usually quiet, really quiet.
The noises are not scratching, more like the fan spinning really fast, it comes and goes.

Umm nope, how do I do that? =p

Don't forget ambient temperature can affect how well your PC stays cool. If its gotten warmer (your heating unit for your house running more often, etc) you will notice a difference since your fans are working harder to keep your machine cool.

A good app to check internal temperature is SpeedFan

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Btw, my cooler always speeds up when im playing a good game :p So if speed-fan shows good temps then just let it slide.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
some computer fans use ball bearings, And they do wear and tear over time, There are guides on getting the fans back into perfect shape such as:
http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=7
But its usually just better to get another fan and drop on there, At least you wont have to worry about over heating issues and the fan failing at a wrong moment.

Best answers
2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Btw, my cooler always speeds up when im playing a good game :p So if speed-fan shows good temps then just let it slide.
The thing is my fan speeds up when doing stuff like encoding a video or even having 2 model viewers open at once for example.

I can easily buy a new fan, I just need a way to know if it really is the fan that is making the noises, just so I wont buy a spare fan for nothing =P

I still think that these noises are not normal, for a whole year my PC has been quiet that I didnt even knew it was there and suddenly the fan is going all noisy :X it really drives me crazy while playing a game or working, thats how loud it can be.

Thanks for the link Tsunami, I'll definatly check it out.

Best answers
Encoding a video is definitely CPU intensive, and as such, would generate more heat, which would make the fans kick it up a little. If you're that worried, you can go buy a quieter fan.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chances are the fans are just really old (am I right?), and if that's the case, then you shouldn't worry too much about it. I've had my fans for 10 years. They make a hell of a lot of noise, but they work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom