Motherboard dead?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think my motherboard might be DOA. I had everything plugged in, turned on PSU. No phase LED lights on Mobo turning on, no PSU fan turning. I unplugged every cable except for the ATX12v/ATX power cables to the Mobo and same thing.

Any ideas?

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm assuming it's still installed in the case ya?

If so, pull it out, stick it on something non-conductive. I usually use the anti-static bag sitting on top of the motherboard box as a "table".

With the motherboard (cpu and ram installed) sitting on top of that, hook up the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors, flip on the psu switch and see if it lights up. If it does it may have been shorting on something. Make sure you have the right motherboard stand-offs screwed in.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tested your PSU on another motherboard? If you have other processors that fit that slot, and know how to swap components out, you may want to try swapping CPUs, RAM modules and other thing. Typically, dead on power switch means that the Mobo or PSU have died.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried using the plastic bags they came in to insulate the mobo and still nothing. I also tried an old power supply I have (no idea if it still works), and that didn't work.

I'm just going to RMA it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So I got the new parts and everything POSTed properly. Then, Vista 64 Ultimate would not detect the hard drive during installation. ~5 hours of tech support from Gigabyte yielded not solution. I then slept for 2 hours and started googling it like crazy. I finally figured out a dirty way of partitioning the HDD without using Vista then expanding the partition using Vista then installing Vista. From the time the computer was all put together and turned on for the first time to the point that Vista is actually installing, it has been ~12 hours. My experience with this board makes me not recommend Gigabyte motherboards. Seriously.

Kill me now.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm going to be overclocking my CPU soon. I'll let you know how that goes. I heard so many good things about Gigabyte in the past year or so, so I kinda trusted them. Not so much any more.

The system is up and running. I played/beat Bioshock for the first time. Max settings at 1920x1200 and it is perfectly smooth - no slow downs at all. GPU was only about 40 degrees under load, CPU was about 35 under load. I have the GPU fan set at 50% (sounds like a hair dryer, but with speakers, you can't hear it) and the CPU fan is set to 100% since I can't hear it at all.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, nice temps :) Wish I could pull that BS on my laptop :p So much hotter than desktops even with a cooling pad ( <3 Zalman NC-2000 - best $65 I ever spent, dropped temps by 15-20 C )

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I'm back in favor of Gigabyte.

My E8500 3.16 ghz is overclocked to 3.8 ghz (1600 effective FSB). Took two tries - Vcore is minimized to CPUZ reading 1.152. Prime95 stable after a few hours, going to try a 24 torture test soon. CPU temps under load fluctuate around 41 degrees. All other voltages are at stock.

Now time to overclock my GPU...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom