More RIAA p2p news.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I was reading into this, and it appears as if it may not be as bad as it seems (at least from my point of view).

Apparently the RIAA will only file lawsuits for people sharing "substantial" amounts of copyrighted material, however no number was given for what would qualify for a lawsuit.

Also, the RIAA says they only plan to file Lawsuits in the United States, which means a lot of us don't have to worry for now.

They also don't appear to be class-action lawsuits. They want to pursue individuals, which is why courts made a ruling requiring ISP's to identify subscribers suspected of illegally sharing music and movie files.

"The RIAA said its lawyers would file lawsuits initially against people with the largest collections of music files they can find. U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer, but Sherman said the RIAA would be open to settlement proposals from defendants."

Also, there are rumours that if you use Kazaa Lite, they cannot detect you on the Kazaa network. I don't know if there is any truth to this, I use Kazaa Lite anyways, but being Canadian, seems like I don't have to worry anyways. If anyone has any confirmation to this "Kazaa Lite" myth, feel free to share the wealth.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also as we are Canadian we are allowed to have a digital copy of software/movies/songs as long as we dont "give it out". As they have no way of knowing if we actually own this stuff they can not do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom