More PS3 info.

Best answers
"The first people to have had a look at the new Playstation 3 in action and that can comment on their experience, have spoken and they claim that quality is not that of the Killzone video but is certainly of the same level as the MGS 4 movie recently shown. We are warned however that very few developers will be able to reach MGS4 levels and even they will have to wait some time before they are familiar enough with the machine to reach that kind of visual excellence.

Now that most developers have received their final PS3 development kits, website Kikizo has managed to sneak into some of them and offer us a peek at the machine that will challenge XBox 360 for next-generation supremacy. The account provided by the people that tried the new Playstation games is, unfortunately, a very vague one and provides basic information which most of us suspected but it does offer some insight and a straightforward, if diplomatic, comparison of the two new systems by a developer.

So we are told not to expect visuals of the same quality as the Killzone video showcased at last year's E3 but that the titles witnessed by the Kikizo journalist, are truly worthy of the next-gen tag.
In a diplomatic comparison of the two next-generation consoles, the Kikizo source states: ...the Xbox 360 and PS3 are same-generation machines. One doesn't have additional effects over the other - 360 can do the same effects, just not as many of them simultaneously and with less geometry [because of the speed difference], but memory bottlenecks can kill part of the PS3 speed advantage anyway... the overall visual difference it makes will depend a lot on the developer's skill, and how much time and money the publisher spends on a game. So Sony's console won't have extra tricks up its sleeve it will just be able to do more of them at the same time.

Since the versions of the games witnessed by the journalists are not final we are told that some improvements are expected especially since no Blu-Ray drives or controllers were included in the SDKs used. This latter fact also suggests that there may be some basis to the rumors of a possible failure by Sony to launch its new console this spring.

Whatever changes are made to the hardware however, we are told that Sony will not be able to meet its initial target of 1080p Full HD that it had originally set and will instead deliver 720p and will upscale it or allow the new TVs to do so. This, apparently, will save CPU cycles and will save gamers from the dreaded loss of frame rate.

So when will we get to play it? Kikizo's source claims: We think that in Japan it will most likely release during Summer, Q4 in the US, and Europe in Winter or Spring 2007 - these are our internal projections.

So there you have it PS3 will probably be delayed in the U.S. while the experience has left Kikizo staff with a feeling of disappointment since the PS3 is unlikely to reach the level of visual quality suggested by E3 2005. Still expect PS3 titles to continually improve as developers become more familiar with the hardware and hopefully, as Sony begins to provide them with actual consoles."
Source
Click

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they only just got the final development kits, I wouldn't take much of the limitations to heart. Years ago they said the PS2 couldn't do antialiasing, high polycount split-screening, shaders and environment mapping, but history has show otherwise.

I actually am happy to hear that the developer's talent will be a factor in the final product moreso on the PS3. I'm sick of companies that can put out a rushed product; now the games will have to have a more deliberate pace to their development, otherwise every game would end up a buggy POS.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We are warned however that very few developers will be able to reach MGS4 levels and even they will have to wait some time before they are familiar enough with the machine to reach that kind of visual excellence.
How does that work exactly? The longer a console is out, the more experience the various companies have with it and the better quality of games they produce. For example, MGS2 had a stunning level of detail for a console game, and then MGS3 topped it by moving all that amazing detail and setting it in a living forest teeming with wildlife and weather.

I know Konami are good...nay...great at what they do, but so are many other games companies out there that'll be developing games for the PS3. To say that a game which practically borders on being a launch title (or has been long in development before the PS3 was finished, without an SDK) will be setting such a high standard isn't exactly believable.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The more I hear about the PS3, the more I begin to believe that the awesome incredible power weve all been told about, with the Cell processor and such, may not be all that its cracked up to be.

If theyre saying memory could be a bottleneck, why not simply include better memory?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Though I am interested of what the PS3 can do once the developers get an advanced feel on the complete, I am dissapointed that I have to wait another year to even consider buying it....Yes, yes more time waiting means more work into the console, doesn't take away the facy of impaitence.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't really matter what kind of memory you have. It's sort of like giving an idiot the best gun on earth; if he doesn't know how to shoot it, he could still plenty likely miss. Console programming is the same way; if you don't know what you're doing on the PSx API, the chances of you being able to make it do all of this good stuff are notably less than if you are educated on the rigors of the process already.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only problem I have with the PS3's design (keep in mind, I attended college for Comp Sci with a focus in Hardware Engineering) is the low memory. While I have no doubt it could and will be sufficient, it essentially dampers the machines raw strength, which is quite fantastic. Had they gone with double the RAM they plan on including, (which is the amount the 360 has) they would have completely crushed the 360, instead of having a slight advantage. The problem is that they obviously want to tap the advantatges of Blu Ray, but they can't fully take advantage because of the memory limitations they set on themselves.

Then again, Sony has always had this issue, from the PSX to the PS2, and probably even the PSP (I didn't check). The PS2 has a paltry 32MB of RAM, and look what they manage with that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom