More gaming reasons to stay with XP rather than Vista

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154735/index.html

It seems that some of the games such as Prey and Battlefield 2 don't work properly with Vista. Sure by the time that Vista gets released these new games might get updates to make sure they work with Vista, but I'm concerned that you will not be able to play those really old-skool games. I've had a hard time trying to get my Final Fantasy VII working on XP, imagine how hard it would be with Vista.

Seriously, do you think it would be so hard for Microsoft to make some kind of...emulator or something, that emulates Windows 2000 or something? I mean, in XP you can change the compatibilty mode, but even that won't work all the time. However, if you install Windows 98, the games do work. Wouldn't it be possible for Microsoft to create some kind of emulator that emulates (not truelly emulate, but only for games and programs) older Windows versions? Or are they just too lazy to do it?

Best answers
weird, with games like that, i just right click it, go to properties and check the box that says "Run the game in compatibility with" and select windows 95 or 98.:]

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's one of the main reasons I don't want to buy Vista. I had a hard time getting old games like Half-Life to work with my computer since I have a duel Core Processor, I don't want to go through something like that again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Battlefield 2 doesn't work properly with anything.

Also, Run with Windows Combatibility Mode FTW.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:

It seems that some of the games such as Prey and Battlefield 2 don't work properly with Vista. Sure by the time that Vista gets released these new games might get updates to make sure they work with Vista, but I'm concerned that you will not be able to play those really old-skool games. I've had a hard time trying to get my Final Fantasy VII working on XP, imagine how hard it would be with Vista.

Seriously, do you think it would be so hard for Microsoft to make some kind of...emulator or something, that emulates Windows 2000 or something? I mean, in XP you can change the compatibilty mode, but even that won't work all the time. However, if you install Windows 98, the games do work. Wouldn't it be possible for Microsoft to create some kind of emulator that emulates (not truelly emulate, but only for games and programs) older Windows versions? Or are they just too lazy to do it?
They have something like that though I don't really remember what it was. It was a program that emulated an operating system and it worked pretty well though it tends to be slow and the files required to emulate a specific operating system were large in size.

The last time I installed Final Fantasy VII on my computer, it ran fine and nothing was really required (other than installing it) to make it work on XP (as far as I can remember).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista's still in beta. They're putting energy into making it work. I'm sure game compatibility's on the list. At the bottom.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:

Emulating different code leads to slower processing, look an apple's move to intel chips and it's emulation app for older legacy mac appliactions.
Sub said:
That's one of the main reasons I don't want to buy Vista. I had a hard time getting old games like Half-Life to work with my computer since I have a duel Core Processor, I don't want to go through something like that again.
With dual core chips you should be using the dual core hotfix from microsoft and the AMD dual core driver.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
With dual core chips you should be using the dual core hotfix from microsoft and the AMD dual core driver.
I know, but for both of them, you need to have Service Pack 2 and for that you need to have a legal version of XP. At the time (I have one now), I didn't have a legal copy.

I'm just saying it was hell figuring out why these games weren't working and then getting them fixed. I don't want to do that for Vista. You know there's going to be someone out there who builds a new rig with Vista in it and a few of his favorite games don't work and he's not going to know why.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Run with Windows Combatibility Mode FTW.
Because that works so well in XP...

Microsoft's selective forward compatibility is hillarious. It's an excuse for system exploits, and that's about it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spaking of games. How the heck do you get Resident Evil 3 to work with XP >.<

Aswell as some other old games i loved but cant play anyomre.

Best answers
Some games don't work properly with the Vista beta? Oh noes.

Seriously everyone 'said' they were going to stick with 98/2000 when XP was called Whistler. There's always skepticism with new Windows OSes. I'm not worried about it.

I know if I was developing Vista game compatibility would be the last thing I'm worried about. Everyone will switch to Vista... just like everyone switched to XP even though everyone said it was a "resource hog." And everyone complained that not having DOS was blasphemy.

I remember what they said... "WTF I have to have at least 256 megs of ram for XP?! ****in bull****, I'm not switching." And now it's "WTF I have to have at least a gig of ram for Vista?! ****in bull****, I'm not switching."

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
And everyone complained that not having DOS was blasphemy.
I still miss DOS. A lot :( But you make very good points, I remember each and everyone one of those being said. A lot.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i for my part would still be hoging on my nice Win 98 if i could only install it.

Basicly thats what forced me to install XP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
God forbid that a beta OS can't run Battlefield.

I'm just curious, but have any of you ever play-tested a game in a closed beta? One of the first things you will notice upon starting the game is that it is not finished. All the features aren't implimented, the game usually isn't stable, and it very much fun to play in it's current state. How an OS is somehow expected to be different, I'm not sure, but those games not working is partly the reason the damn thing hasn't been released already.

But, if you're determined to stick with XP, don't let rationality stop you. I'll let you know how DX10 is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, games such as Battlefield 2 will probably get a Vista patch, or Vista itself will probably change a bit to make newer games work. But the problem is that I [sometimes] have a hard time getting 8 year old games to work on my XP version. Imagine how hard it will be (if at all) to make those same 8 year old games work on Vista. There is a large possibility that Vista just won't support the old games anymore.

Sure, DX10 is cool, Vista looks nice. And any upcoming game for Vista will probably be awesome, but I still love the old games, and like to replay them every once in a while.

Best answers
Tassadar said:
Some games don't work properly with the Vista beta? Oh noes.

Seriously everyone 'said' they were going to stick with 98/2000 when XP was called Whistler. There's always skepticism with new Windows OSes. I'm not worried about it.

I know if I was developing Vista game compatibility would be the last thing I'm worried about. Everyone will switch to Vista... just like everyone switched to XP even though everyone said it was a "resource hog." And everyone complained that not having DOS was blasphemy.

I remember what they said... "WTF I have to have at least 256 megs of ram for XP?! ****in bull****, I'm not switching." And now it's "WTF I have to have at least a gig of ram for Vista?! ****in bull****, I'm not switching."
You need 256Mb of RAM for XP? I have less than that on my PC, and it runs XP fine. Not that I actually use it. :/.

Best answers
Well, we have to see what Vista offers before the great migration, not just for eyecandy i mean.

offtopic about XP and 256 Megs of RAM

LOL... So thats why.... I was wondering why ESF said it can run only in software mode, anyone know how much min RAM i need to run ESF in XP? I mean i have 128... and i am getting 128 more... is it enough to turn that into RAM or can i use my BIos's option to turn all that into video RAM? o_0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista will rule. I'm sure. The only thing they've ever done that wasn't a marked improvement in personal computing from the status quo was Windows ME...and they quickly redeemed themselves with XP, so I don't count that one against them too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom