More evidence for evolution

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.newscientist.com/channel...hift-in-the-lab.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

To sum the article up, twenty years ago a scientist took a single Escherichia coli bacterium and used to it to produce 12 laboratory populations. More than 44,000 generations have passed and one of the populations have developed an interesting trait, the ability to metabolise citrate, a nutrient in their culture medium that E. coli normally cannot use.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's pretty cool. I wonder if more changes will occur given more time.

Edit: Or rather, what kind of changes.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[irrational=Nixanthros]WHY HAVEN'T THE BACTERIA BECOME ZEBRAS OR WHALES YET? HUH SMART GUY?! ITS BECAUSE THAT ISNT POSSIBLE. [/irrational]

[Smartass=Nixanthros]OOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD[/smartass]

For whatever reason, I didn't really find the article all that interesting. I guess, for me, it's like reading an article describing water with the underlying argument that water is both real and wet. I mean, I already know that, there's tons of supporting evidence to back the article's claims, and it'd be ridiculous for me to say, "No, water is both a human construct and it is dry". You don't have to convince me anymore. I believe you.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While it's a fact in my mind, others do not believe that this is the case. This is just another nail in the coffin, which is why I consider it interesting.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While it's a fact in my mind, others do not believe that this is the case. This is just another nail in the coffin, which is why I consider it interesting.
People who don't believe in evolution also don't pay attention to any of the supporting facts and evidence. Trying to convince them otherwise with factual information would be like trying to kill a vampire by laying out vials of blood for no other reason than to make him full in the hopes that his stomach will explode. That didn't make sense, right? Exactly. You're nailing the coffin shut, but there's no one inside. In fact, he's watching you nail the coffin shut and feeling sorry for you.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd be more like stuffing garlic down his throat since the two just don't agree.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That'd only work if evidence somehow defeated anyone who didn't believe in evolution. It only makes them stronger.

Anyway, enough about vampires. The experiment really only supports evidence of micro evolution, which mostly everyone already believes in to some degree. Macro evolution is where people start drawing lines in the sand. That's when you start hearing questions like, "If we came from monkeys, why do monkeys still exist?!"

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"If we came from monkeys, why do monkeys still exist?!"
Because we share a common ancestor that in todays terms would probably still be called a monkey, but our population just happened to separate from them and gain/lose traits due to that environment?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because we share a common ancestor that in todays terms would probably still be called a monkey, but our population just happened to separate from them and gain/lose traits due to that environment?
Oh? Proof? Evidence? Fossils? Missing link? Pictures? I thought so.

Forgive him for he knows know what I know, which is everything.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...Y'know, you get on ME for speaking out against evolution...but it's fine for you to make a thread about it just to bash some more? And go ahead and hide behind claims of "discussion of blah blah blah theory of evolution", but we all know that's why this thread actually exists.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...Y'know, you get on ME for speaking out against evolution...but it's fine for you to make a thread about it just to bash some more? And go ahead and hide behind claims of "discussion of blah blah blah theory of evolution", but we all know that's why this thread actually exists.
There is no conspiracy jdude.

Best answers
You believe in blatant fiction. This thread (and others) give actual proof, though you keep ignoring it all. This isn't bashing this is covering reality while you're just preaching false words and fictional stories.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
What makes you think god didn't create all those world rules like math, biology and stuff like that. Its like designing a building or something. To add for all of this im sure god created living creatures to fit to there changing zones/conditions of life. Yes not all creatures change but that maybe is the concept of the creation of genesis. Evolution is actually 1 of the "features" God gave to some living creatures, like you get smarter and smarter, or you change your body by the way you live. Who knows, maybe a few years from now Humans in the US will change in a way because all of that McDonald's (U ****ING FAT POTATO COUCHES GO DO SOME PUSH UPS)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What makes you think god didn't create all those world rules like math, biology and stuff like that. Its like designing a building or something. To add for all of this im sure god created living creatures to fit to there changing zones/conditions of life. Yes not all creatures change but that maybe is the concept of the creation of genesis. Evolution is actually 1 of the "features" God gave to some living creatures, like you get smarter and smarter, or you change your body by the way you live. Who knows, maybe a few years from now Humans in the US will change in a way because all of that McDonald's (U ****ING FAT POTATO COUCHES GO DO SOME PUSH UPS)
Uh, nobody said anything about God not existing. Just that evolution exists. Evolution and a God can coexist. I know they said I was crazy, but it's true. The idea "God" is so damn ambiguous and mailable that the very idea of trying to prove or disprove it is impossible.

And try visiting the US. We don't all eat McDonalds every day.

Edit: gah, thanks for pointing the typo out deco.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this needs to cool down. The not-so-cleverly masked sarcasm and ridicule is duly noted, if it continues, it gets a warning. I also don't want the religeous camp coming out swinging, you too will get a warning.

Make the debate civilized, or there will be no debate. It's no mystery that the larger portion of the board is atheist.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would have made this thread regardless of whether you visit these forums or not. This is evidenced by the fact that I made an identical thread in another forum I visit. Like I said previously, I find stuff like this interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom