Modeling Competition 3 – Small Fantasy Environment Piece 16-08-05 - 1-10-05

Best answers
Modeling Competition 3 – Small Fantasy Environment Piece
------------------------------------------------

Description:

Building on skills is important, so I believe this competition should further expand abilities touched on in previous challenges. Saying that I will balance this don’t worry

There is 2 possiblities for theme, as people these days tend to prefer choices, 1) Science Fiction (Mars Control Base / Lander), 2) Fantasy (Elvish Structures / Secret Glen).

The object is to construct either an original or pre existing piece with exceptional understanding of limitations(listed below) and also to show imagination + creativity.

So for example upon entering this competition you may decide to build a replica of Rivendell from LOTR, or modify an existing piece / create an original piece.

What I’d like to add to this competition is that with each submission the designer must add a short paragraph/s regarding the difficulties and ideas that went into their piece. The idea about this paragraph/s is that artists who are just starting to learn 3D design can compete with the already semi -experienced artists on this board.

Time Limit 16-08-05 1-9-05

(note you can include a character/s in your environment but keep to the limits, for example a DBZ moon base with pods like freizas command base etc.)

---------------------------------------------------

Rules:

- Your Environment may be Original or Pre-existing.

- You must supply a short paragraph explaining ideas and difficulties you have overcome.

- You are limited to 10 *512 texture maps, which can include alpha, bump, spec if you wish.

- The small scene must not exceed 10,000k

- The scene may include Next Generation Features (bump maps, spec etc.)

- The scene may feature scripts, movers

- Texture maps maybe linked to shaders / complex materials

------------------------------------------------

Final Entry:

Your final entry must contain the following:

- A unique set of renders of your environment

- A link to your 10 textures, if you don’t have webspace contact me I can host some.

bonus:

- Fly by camera

- An effective Lighting setup

- A wire frame render

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queries

The scene can be made in any program you have access to as long as you can prove the polycount and stick to the rules. Maya, Max, GTK Radiant, Worldcraft, Unreal could all be used as well as many others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspiration

Make sure you have a vast array of resources before you begin. Google is your friend but even so, look for Games, Movies, Papers. Books, Casette Tapes anything.

Examples:-

Add a library of follow up posts if you wish to help everyone, but just to get the ball rolling..

Films could include
Alien (gigger style etc.)
Predator
Species
LOTR

Games
Warcraft Series
Guild Wars
Never winter Nights
Unreal
Doom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging

Please remember to vote equally on the paragraph submission and also the end product.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This entry won't get a great deal of entry's from modelers from this forum. Not a lot of Enviroment modeling round hear. But, I might give it a shot :O I've only done 10 or 11 enviroments and that's in my modelling classes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds kinda like a mapping competition.. I dunno, ill see what i can do, maybe ill wait for some1 else to post his

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CrackerJack said:
Sounds kinda like a mapping competition.. I dunno, ill see what i can do, maybe ill wait for some1 else to post his
It's bout as close to mapping as you can get. I suppose you could use v. hammer editor, but you won't get the advantages you'd get by modeling the enviroment and rendering it in a program like 3dsm.

Showster said:
you mean normal mapping?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I know what he means, but I think ull probably get less entries the last competition..

I dont see a lot of that around here

Best answers
To clear things up This is a modelling competition not a mapping competition :)

Don't be so negative :), The idea of the compeitions is yea to get involvement but to make you are better artist. By posting stuff like.. OMG your not gonna get any entries your kinda killing it before it even starts.. :p

Originally Posted by Showster

Teknik :- you mean normal mapping?

Yes...............

Teknik ;;;//
It's bout as close to mapping as you can get. I suppose you could use v. hammer editor, but you won't get the advantages you'd get by modeling the enviroment and rendering it in a program like 3dsmax

Yes and No, the idea here is not to make a playable environment, its more to create a scene which could be a background for an advert, or a high res movie still. Otherwise I'd would have added information about story boards, playability etc.....

Also the idea of the paragraph will stop the hidderence of scenes looking better in different programs. I'm well aware the majority of you guys don't have access to high end production program. Something made in valve, quark or gtk could easily win this competition with the right back up. I'm sure Gmax would also be a perfect tool to....

Last edited:
Best answers
Model a scene eh...
count me in.

Edit: whats the screen res for the rendered scene?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bah bah bah.. im crappy in this

Best answers
ShadyD :- bah bah bah.. im crappy in this <-- so I suck at character modelling give it a shot ;-)

Ray :- Edit: whats the screen res for the rendered scene?

Theres no limit on the end resolution for the render. Although I advise to pick your resolution depending on what type of still/ fly by your aiming to produce.

Best answers
Oooo... This sounds interesting.. very interesting..
Count me in.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll go ahead and sticky this until Gir gets here.

Good luck to all participating :]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
will we be allowed to touch up the final render in photoshop?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
that would kinda defeat the purpose, don't you think gir?

Best answers
----- gir... will we be allowed to touch up the final render in photoshop?

If you want to go ahead but its not really in the specification, but I'd save that kinda thing for another competition :) (Combustion and after effects are best for touch ups btw they have nice colour correction facilities and effects if you have access to them)

You could always just do it for fun n practise!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well okay i have my inspiration (ME MUSE) now to get some sleep and ill start it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm i may give it a try . wanted to do some envrioment anyway so ill check it out.

hmt is it also allowed to do something like an RTS scene or abit that way?

Best answers
Any type of scene you like Killmore so long as its SCI FI or Fantasy :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Name: Death Falls
features: Waterfall :p
weather: Aint no sunshine here, RAIN and DARK clouds
Inspiration: Naruto: Naruto VS Sasuke
W.I.P

ZuL

Best answers
Dang, this competition doesn't really seem much like my style. I was thinking "Next modeling competition I'll try entering!". But I'm not good with environments, so I guess I'll just watch this one...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZuL said:
Dang, this competition doesn't really seem much like my style. I was thinking "Next modeling competition I'll try entering!". But I'm not good with environments, so I guess I'll just watch this one...
check out my post.. i suck at this, however this will give me some good modeling practice and an oppertunity to use some of max's functions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom