(MMO) Star wars: The Old Republic

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUIqw5Fznn0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PUIqw5Fznn0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>​

They talk a little more about it here.
http://g4tv.com/videos/38637/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic_Trailer_Presentation_at_E3_09/

Personally I'm looking forward to this.

Discuss.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some bad vibes on the internet at the moment, things like there being no pvp or guild war-style instancing of all the zones, kind of like a single player or grouped story. I'll judge it when we get some proper gameplay vids but i wont be holding much hope for it. the E3 statement dosnt really help, i mean, voiced npcs is its highlight? totally original and revolutionary!

Last edited:
ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since i'm a SW fan i can say that i'm impressed.It looks awesome :)

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an MMO - cut-scenes, no matter how well put together, don't mean anything. I'm not going to form an opinion until they show something significant in the gameplay department.

It'll have to do things very differently from existing MMO's if it's going to catch my interest at all. No grinding (and I mean none), fewer quests wherein you are absolutely forced to find a group (and if you are, make it more practical - you shouldn't need to be in a guild in order to easily find a party for the odd dungeon quest; my primary WoW character still has the same backlog of quests in Scarlet Monastery that'll, likely, never get finished because everyone else has "been there and done that" :p), and/or something that offers the more casual MMO player something to bite into.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless it's like [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFojmhp4mA&feature=related[/ame] i'm not playing it.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, it is assumed to be more like Guild Wars than WoW.

I still have confidence that Bioware is out to challenge Blizzard.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe if they use a KotOR like control system. Though i'd like to be the one with full control over my saber.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
looking at the little character previews they've put up for certain classes unique attacks, i'd not expect anything more than the shake 'n' bake 12-button hotbar of skills. it'd be a shame if they do that, as the KOTOR system was epic

Edit: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2taOfIUW2w&feature=fvst[/ame] hard to tell from the previews in there, but theres somthing they've added for blocking in the lightsaber duels although most of the preview seems to be flailing around aimlessly, seems like the standard whack-a-mole for anything not tooled with one though

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gameplay videos or not that looks jizz in my pants good. God they need to make an Old Republic movie. Giant Sith and Jedi fights would be epic!

I hope you can be a wookie too. I'd love to be a wookie jedi.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
lol, they remade the duel of the fates battle in moviebattles mod for Jedi Academy xD.

Anyhow, I got a hold of this MMORPG ****. So they do this: lets do a super action and super groovy trailer and people will THINK its an action oriented game but then they will find out its just another boring CLICK TO DEATH UNTIL HIS DEAD game *developer evil style laughs*.

This trailer is super groovy to bring up hype, but it is not gonna be nowhere near close to an action oriented game.

And how come the KOTOR system was awesome? As long as I remember it it was an RPG, it was click on the skills, exactly like an mmorpg, so how was it awesome?

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not awesome, but I'd prefer that to break off the WoW style.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When i think of jedi fights MMO's i'd instantly expect something more akin to Age of Conan when it comes to online combat with its active blocking, dodging, combos and your weapon hitting anything it connects with etc etc. think i'll play it safe and just pretend me chunky axe in AoC is a lightsaber for now!

Best answers
The problem with most MMOs is that they're afraid to try ground-breaking things, because there's money vested in the project. The more they stick to things that are tried and true, the more likely it is to appeal to a majority of people. I think right now they're just trying to appeal to people's like of Star Wars by coming up with all these stories and depth, kind of like City of Heroes did a little. I really hope they go that route with the game, where you can customize how certain skills work and how effective they are. EX: Force Push covers a wider area, form of crowd control.

For me to be impressed, they'd need to do the following:
1> Large scale NPC battles which have a defined scale of difficulty. Action-oriented, constantly evolving and accomplishing multiple quests in one go.
2> Open-Market and Crafting System like the other Star Wars MMO, where materials are random and difficult to gather
3> FPS-style fighting somewhat like other SW games out (like Viper showed)
4> A decent, story-based quest line sort of like Diablo 2, which I expect they'll have
5> Unique character creation model

Considering BioWare is making this, and most of their games have been like table-top D&D games, I'm GUESSING it might have a Level-Up & get skill points based style.

One thing you can expect: Socketed Lightsabres :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59009

A bit of a glimpse into the gameplay.

It sounds neat, but I'm still not holding my breath; while there was no demonstration of horrendous amounts of grinding or boring 3-hour dungeon-crawls, I still wouldn't be surprised to see them in the finished product :p

Best answers
its ok but i just thought be better......anyways off topic
I guess I can't really compare old republic with TFU because it's a different game type....

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game looks interesting and makes people want to play. But that's because everyone wants to be an independent jedi. For the first time people will get extra bored of seeing so many jedis and lightsabers (if they already have not). Problably it will be the last starwars sucess game. Just My opinion of course.

Best answers
I think Jedi would be cool, but I'd definitely go for a Bounty Hunter. The flamethrower in that video looked sick. If I could fly... yeah, definitely BH. But then again, I might want to be a Jar Jar Binx and do deliver runs. I can't decide yet!

Best answers
they are using a KOTOR control system, didnt u see darth sion? i believe the narrator was sion. this whole game is based 20 yrs after the events of KOTOR 2 i believe. i, for one, am excited as sh*t for this game. just hope it isnt going to cost money monthly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom