Minor annoyance with new PC/WinXP disc

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I burned an image of my old XP disc to a DVD Rom and for some reason my new PC (which comes with no OS) will not boot from it. It tries, but fails. Is this because I made a DVD Rom out of what was previously a CD? I've burnt it to CD before and had no problems with it. Any thoughts?

(Just a theory...but the cd volume name is "WXPVOL_EN" yet it is displayed on the new comp in dos as "WXPVOL_E"...could that have something to do with it?)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Burn it on to a cd.
It's not hard at all to find a blank cd.

As far as volume names go, you shouldn't have any issue. Your theory is of no concern and is pointless.

Sound Artist
Best answers
A little tip to the wise, assuming of course that you purchased that copy of Windows. According to Microsoft only one copy of XP is allowed on one machine, ever. Also according to them, a tower/case constitutes as your "machine". It doesn't matter what you upgrade as long as it's not the case, but if windows tells you to re-enter your serial because of a major hardware change and you've done it too many times, use phone support and never tell them you've changed your machine or tower. Tell them it's your hard drive or else you won't get the confirmation number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom