Military?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fatmanterror (a very old, very respected member of the community, and a former moderator) is also in the military. Like Zeo, I believe he's with the US Marines.

Another older member, awol95 (at least, I think it was '95' at the end of his name) is or was a member of the military, as far as I know.

Best answers
Good men.. It's unfortunate though, Seems as if EVERYONE I know is becoming a Marine. I mean, I could understand not wanting to join the Army or something... but seriously? Nearly everyone is becoming a Marine these days. It's nuts.

I'm the only Airman I know of in a 30 mile radius haha

Best answers
my uncle keeps ****in with me, i was supposed to take my asvab and such and go already, but hes keeps changing his mind about making me go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm joining the Israeli Army in a year. Does that count?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
The Airforce is the closest thing to being a civilian that one can get in the armed forces. Bootcamp is short, you aren't treated as harshly and once you're out, you'll probably never hear anyone yell again. If you're stationed with Marines, you get hazard pay. All in all, a good and safe choice that'll transition easily to a civilian life.

Don't get too excited about being signed up for "special forces". I'm not sure where the Airforce stands on PT in relation to the other branches, but the attrition rate is usually pretty damn high when it comes to physical demands. Recon and MARSOC, for example, have close to a 90% attrition rate due to how strenuous the training is. I'd expect the same to be true for whatever the Airforce has. If it doesn't work out, you'll be given the option to do something else, which I highly recommend. Special Forces aren't nearly as glamorous and exciting as it seems. There's a lot of standing by. A lot.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I wanted to join the army too when I'll turn 18 but in my (pathetic) country, joining the army means doing nothing and then having a huge pension. Doing it for the money is like doing it for nothing.

Best answers
The Airforce is the closest thing to being a civilian that one can get in the armed forces. Bootcamp is short, you aren't treated as harshly and once you're out, you'll probably never hear anyone yell again. If you're stationed with Marines, you get hazard pay. All in all, a good and safe choice that'll transition easily to a civilian life.

Don't get too excited about being signed up for "special forces". I'm not sure where the Airforce stands on PT in relation to the other branches, but the attrition rate is usually pretty damn high when it comes to physical demands. Recon and MARSOC, for example, have close to a 90% attrition rate due to how strenuous the training is. I'd expect the same to be true for whatever the Airforce has. If it doesn't work out, you'll be given the option to do something else, which I highly recommend. Special Forces aren't nearly as glamorous and exciting as it seems. There's a lot of standing by. A lot.
Well as of 2008, the Air Force re-vamped their Basic Training procedures. Adding an extra 2 (or 3, i forgot) weeks to the regimen, emphasizing more on the "Combat ready airman". Pretty much they realized that their boot camp could be passed by a total pussy, so they kicked it up a notch. I hear it's pretty decently tough now, making Army boot camp look easy.

As for the Special Forces? I'd be considered a "Grey Beret Weather Apprentice", meaning I'll be a Special Forces Operational Field Meteorologist. Though... I'm not POSITIVE I'm gonna be able to do it yet. I personally don't think I'm cut out for it anymore. Perhaps this time 2 years ago I would've been perfect, but I've lost too much of my physical attributes to make myself a prime candidate.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Well as of 2008, the Air Force re-vamped their Basic Training procedures. Adding an extra 2 (or 3, i forgot) weeks to the regimen, emphasizing more on the "Combat ready airman". Pretty much they realized that their boot camp could be passed by a total pussy, so they kicked it up a notch. I hear it's pretty decently tough now, making Army boot camp look easy.

As for the Special Forces? I'd be considered a "Grey Beret Weather Apprentice", meaning I'll be a Special Forces Operational Field Meteorologist. Though... I'm not POSITIVE I'm gonna be able to do it yet. I personally don't think I'm cut out for it anymore. Perhaps this time 2 years ago I would've been perfect, but I've lost too much of my physical attributes to make myself a prime candidate.
I'm not trying to be an ass or trying to rag on the airforce, so don't take this the wrong way. You could add a year to their boot camp and it would still be the easiest and most comfortable experience the US armed forces has to offer a recruit. Army boot camp, while slightly tougher than all but the Corps' and possibly the Coast Guard's, is still an absolute joke.

That said, I wouldn't mind a lat move to the airforce during my last tour. Its laid back attitude is appealing.

Best answers
I'm not trying to be an ass or trying to rag on the airforce, so don't take this the wrong way. You could add a year to their boot camp and it would still be the easiest and most comfortable experience the US armed forces has to offer a recruit. Army boot camp, while slightly tougher than all but the Corps' and possibly the Coast Guard's, is still an absolute joke.

That said, I wouldn't mind a lat move to the airforce during my last tour. Its laid back attitude is appealing.
I think that's why most people are in the Marines.. they see the Marine corps as the place to go when you're the best of the best physically... or if you wanna really get your ass into shape.

Where as in my opinion... the USAF is where the best of the best mentally go. That's why I'm in it.

That.. and they pay the best, have the best living conditions and being in the Air Force looks the best on a resume out of all branches (unless it's nuclear, then it's the Navy most likely). Again though, that's all in my opinion.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Most people join the Marine Corps because they want to become a warfighter. Fighting wars and doing every branch's job, albeit on a smaller scale, requires a tad more than brawn. Why is physical fitness emphasized so much? There are far less of us and so we're required to do more, and more importantly, know more.

In my experience, people join the airforce for the money and easy transition to the civvie world via work experience. Same is true for the army, and that's why a lot of them can't handle the pressures of war and fail to adapt. They're there for the wrong reasons. I don't blame them. Sounds like a good gig until an ied blows up the humvee ahead of you. Then cod4 goes out the window and reality kicks in.

That said, high five to you for choosing to serve. You'll have a blast with the airforce. The good times will be great and the bad times will still be infinitely better than the average grunt's "good day".

Good luck in your endeavors.

Best answers
Most people join the Marine Corps because they want to become a warfighter. Fighting wars and doing every branch's job, albeit on a smaller scale, requires a tad more than brawn. Why is physical fitness emphasized so much? There are far less of us and so we're required to do more, and more importantly, know more.

In my experience, people join the airforce for the money and easy transition to the civvie world via work experience. Same is true for the army, and that's why a lot of them can't handle the pressures of war and fail to adapt. They're there for the wrong reasons. I don't blame them. Sounds like a good gig until an ied blows up the humvee ahead of you. Then cod4 goes out the window and reality kicks in.

That said, high five to you for choosing to serve. You'll have a blast with the airforce. The good times will be great and the bad times will still be infinitely better than the average grunt's "good day".

Good luck in your endeavors.
Thank you, sir.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Zero (old esf mapper) joined the airforce or marines or something? If not zero, then one of the other old mappers.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm joining the U.S. Navy next summer if my band doesn't work out, or I don't find a decent job.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awol 95 was a gulf war veteran (US Army) and he went back to Iraq as a Marine. He served in two branche through two wars. That man has nothing but respect from me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha it's interesting just to see how different the branches of military are. I remember a marine coming in to my store and talking about how all and his marine buddies were *******s. They'd intimidate bouncers to let them in for free at the clubs and he kind of talked **** on the army.

I never had an interest in joinging military, but the airforce would probably be my highest interest. To be blunt, I get the feeling I am too soft to be in the marines and I would definitely not be looking for direct combat.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good men.. It's unfortunate though, Seems as if EVERYONE I know is becoming a Marine. I mean, I could understand not wanting to join the Army or something... but seriously? Nearly everyone is becoming a Marine these days. It's nuts.

I'm the only Airman I know of in a 30 mile radius haha
US marines aren't that different from the army, in fact, their training is almost identical.

EX-Royal Marine here =]

Best answers
Awol 95 was a gulf war veteran (US Army) and he went back to Iraq as a Marine. He served in two branche through two wars. That man has nothing but respect from me.
Seconded. Although, I wasn't aware that you could join two branches of service. I thought that once you joined the air force (for example), then you're locked into the air force... and can't become a marine or anything else.

Haha it's interesting just to see how different the branches of military are. I remember a marine coming in to my store and talking about how all and his marine buddies were *******s. They'd intimidate bouncers to let them in for free at the clubs and he kind of talked **** on the army.

I never had an interest in joining military, but the airforce would probably be my highest interest. To be blunt, I get the feeling I am too soft to be in the marines and I would definitely not be looking for direct combat.
Yeah, that's all i hear from my marine friends. My best friend Tim is the only exception. But every Marine I talk to (besides Tim) talks **** about everyone. Basically to them, if you're not a Marine, you're not ****. They especially like to rip on the Air Force and Army.. Whenever I talk to them, they're always asking "So Brian, what's new with the CHAIR FORCE? huh?" And **** like that. Kinda gets on my nerves. I don't trash talk anyone else's profession, so I don't understand why they feel the need to.

Not yet. I am Jewish though, and my connection with Israel is quite strong.
So you plan on moving to Israel and joining the Military? What do you wanna do in there? Ground forces? Air Forces? IDF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom