Microsoft unveils XNA...

Synergy

S
I've been reading on this, and it's basically what you said, making game development easier for companies, and they plan to release a beta for the set of tools needed.

So.. what it means is that Microsoft is releasing a program so Anyone or any company can be able to make games :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i understood that, but what kind of tools is it going to have?

Synergy

S
Hmm... doesn't say, maybe you can see for yourself if you want to download the beta which comes out on the 30th.

Best answers
It's for people with good idea's and not the skills or money to start a company to produce them, its like giving someone a half-life engine with some model programs, map programs, editors, basically, for people to design a game and release it on X-Box live.

I'll definitely be looking into this.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Microsoft does have a point though about the problems facing the industry. I just don't want this to become the gold standard since that'd hamper the creation of new engines and possibilities.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa.

Isn't Nintendo doing something similar with their Virtual Console feature on Wii?

Nintendo's development kits are relatively much cheaper than the other consoles', so even smaller studios can make games for it.

Interesting~

Retired
Best answers
It's just a way to boost the efficiency of creating a game. it's less time-consuming to make a game.

From what i've heard, if you have a racing game, and a car bumps into a wall. the animation and realism of metal being smashed is something that the tool emulates. Thus removing the timeframe in which you have to program that yourself.

someone correct me if i'm running a redlight here and telling a fairytale.

Best answers
Wow this looks amazing. I wonder if you will be able to make different variations of games like FPS,
Racing, RTS, even maybe MMORPG. If these game you create cant be online then I will be very upset.
But still this sounds really cool, I'm getting this as soon as possible.

Does this XNA thing have its own Homepage?

Best answers
Hell, maybe a Naruto HL mod or something close to it with this will actually
come out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom