Micro$oft does it again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Microsoft has once again sparked controversy over its new operating system, Vista, with a change in its licensing terms which will allow owners of retail copies of Vista to only transfer their software to a new machine once. If they will need to move the OS a second time they will need to buy an additional copy.

Microsoft users have been quick to criticize the company for its move while many claim that it is precisely this attitude towards the consumer by Microsoft that will work as an incentive for hackers to work extra long hours to crack the new OS.

The company is also coming under fire from security companies due to competitive concerns. Many had planned to voice their opinions in a planned meeting with Microsoft. Unfortunately the MS Live Meeting technology used for the conference crashed 15 minutes after the meeting started. Some of the big players like Symantec and McAfee were unable to log back on.

The troubled OS has been met with skepticism from consumers while incentives such as games that will only play on the new OS (Halo 2) or the promise of DX10 gaming may not convince people to make the move, especially as long as issues such as DRM and the transfer of the OS remain unclear."
lol, is that fair for example to the asians whom doesn't have any money at all, and buys this retail with last money, and then he has to reformat computer after 2 months.. i find this hilarious ;D
and that "microsoft live meeting", i totally laughed for it, i mean, why do they always have to copy all these things anyways?
comments?

EDIT: oh yeah, the link: http://megagames.com/news/html/software/vistacontroversysparkedagain.shtml

Best answers
Best answers
If you're going to quote anything, provide a link to the original article to show that it's not just original research (original research being, you made it up).

Best answers
Ooooo,Bah just watch some cool German dude is going to come out of no where and crack the thing XD-Then we can live in peace.

-GuZzie

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reactivation is not moving the OS from one system to the other. Microsoft terms moving the OS in XP as a change of Motherboard. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my legit OEM XP reactivated after I upgraded the Mobo.

In fact, I see dire need to buy a USB HDD and make a 1:1 ghost of my original Vista partition when and if I decide to buy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is probably a wise course of action no matter what operating system people use.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
That is probably a wise course of action no matter what operating system people use.
I'm a firm believer of unlimited reuses of your OS, transferring from one comp to the other I can almost understand, but limiting reloads is, well, just plain draconian. Especially with Microbloat which is known for becoming so badly over-spammed that it needs to get reloaded yearly minimum.

I also don't like the idea that MS can pull the plug on activation and force you to upgrade. I don't like that at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, they'll figure it out when they start losing customers in droves.

EDIT: Also: Chances are I won't make the upgrade from XP, primarily due to financial constraints.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
I'm a firm believer of unlimited reuses of your OS, transferring from one comp to the other I can almost understand, but limiting reloads is, well, just plain draconian. Especially with Microbloat which is known for becoming so badly over-spammed that it needs to get reloaded yearly minimum.

I also don't like the idea that MS can pull the plug on activation and force you to upgrade. I don't like that at all.
My thoughts exactly cuc.... this is a dumb idea. Tho, i doubt that i'll be using Vista anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yep, i'll use xp as long as i can, i use linux more than windows anyways

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LegendarY said:
yep, i'll use xp as long as i can
Same for me. Vista is looking completely uninteresting for me.

I might just end up using Linux too if MS keeps up this bull****.

Best answers
Nobody liked the whole Vista when it appeared, now even less people like it. Only thing Microsoft has made properly is Xbox.
If they are going to force XP users to upgrade to Vista, Linux seems like good option to consider...

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LegendarY said:
yep, i'll use xp as long as i can, i use linux more than windows anyways
This goes for me to i am going to use xp more then anyone

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah well, the vista itself takes 40-50gb space from hdd o_O
and that aero outlook really slows computer down..

Best answers
LegendarY said:
yeah well, the vista itself takes 40-50gb space from hdd o_O
Requirements say 15 gigs free, which is a far cry from 40-50 gigs.

Best answers
I tell people about these kinda things all the time, and nobody listens til it appears on some website. What does Vista not cause problems with?

Bad licensing schemes, reduction in system performance, DRM, etc.

And all in exchange for "high definition" output-- something that an HDMI monitor can already achieve. Then again, it's all a matter of code as well, if you program it, it will be there.

And with Microsoft's declining support for OpenGL, what kinda support will it have in Vista? Or will they just decide "we don't need this API, DirectGraphics is integrated with the operating system already..." and just yank it out?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.... and i can't understand why cant they just freaking concentrate to current windows xp! i mean, xp has lots of bugs to be fixed out, security holes to be fixed, but microsoft fixes this problem by making new windows OS, which brings even more bugs to the developer team, and they put the price up every time new windows comes. XP PRO= 200euros, cheapest vista= 300euros from what i have heard.

Best answers
Here's the kicker... Windows 2000 is still more expensive than Windows XP... :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, not in here... it costs about 50euros here :D, dont know what's it in Yenis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom