Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whos played it? i think the online is alright, but i think the controls are too touchy for that type of gameplay, unless your just camping somewhere with a rifle. i've only played it a few times though, and i hadnt played any other mgs game for years.

i havent played the single player but my friend likes it alot. though i dislike the shotguns, and melee is... hard online

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm in two minds to get it. Snake Eater remains one of my favorite games of all time, i've got 100% completion on Very Easy, Easy and Normal, as well as 1st's on all the duels and SvM. I don't know if it's worth getting, as i'd have to do everything again (it doesn't recognise saves). The thing is, a lot of the new features to the US Subsistence were already present in the PAL Snake Eater, except for the third-person camera and maybe a couple of other things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, not the online, but my PS2 isn't online, and I don't have the HDD for the downloads.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok sorry i was primarily talking about the online play.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zero, as you've played it, does the new camera system change a lot? I heard it makes things look better as well as making it easier to see in front of you. The camera was one of the few things in MGS3 that needed work on.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont know, i didnt really have any problems, its sort of, i dont know... cheating since you can not even lean against a wall, and rotate the camera to see around the corner, but there werent any problems.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd probably get it if I had an HD and if my cat 5 reached the living room so I wouldn't have to run more cable. It'd be worth it to me, though, for online and the original 2 games (esp since the first was edited in the US version).

Best answers
-- I actually just purchased MGS3: Subsistence about last week or so. I was really looking forward to playing out the new 3rd person camera system and finally experiencing what this game really had to offer. But very shortly into the title, I became not only extremely disappointed, but flat out bored. Bored to the point where I started to doze off with the controller in my hands (and this was during mid-day time, at that).

In changing the camera to 3rd person, the game needed many more additions in order to balance the title out. First off, the ?holding down a shoulder button to enter a static 1st person mode? is extremely flawed right out of the box. This may have worked for MGS2(!), a 1st gen title on the PS2. But as a last gen game, Hideo really should?ve learned his lesson. Especially considering that he claimed his team spent so much time playing PC online FPS?, you?d THINK that they?d pick something up from these experiences.

Then there?s the factor that you cannot aim, shoot and move simultaneously. Hell, you can?t even AIM to begin with unless you use the shoulder button. They didn?t add a lock-on ability, nor did they have dual-analog support to supplement the camera change (let alone, add a reticule for aiming). And it?s not as if MGS is a technical series to play, mind you. The CQC functions are dirt poor compared to what it was hyped to be initially (Comon..he still does a corny 3 hit combo, only now with the ability to slash throats).

In my opinion, i found Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory to be entirely more advanced and polished as far as gameplay is concerned, and im don't even like that game to be honest. I hope the PS3 version of MGS really changes my outlook on the series as a whole.

If he really wants to improve this series, then he needs to stop letting the design fall into what Metal Gear and MGS2 had to offer. Unbelievably, all of the recent MGS? STILL play like their NES/MSX originals in the 80?s. Even the functions are still the same; you cannot crouch walk still to this day, and when crouching and moving in any direction, it still leads to a crawling function. If you play MGS 2, it functions in the EXACT same way as today, and that kinda sucks. And taking your hand away to use the D-Pad in "stalking mode" is probably one of the dumbest functions around, I believe.

This game still doesn't change my overall view on MGS games like i'd hoped it would-- i still say MGS is one of the most overrated series of all time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I thought the controls were the ****tiest I've ever used in a game. Constantly hanging up on walls you don't want to lean against, having to stand still while you aim and being shot into oblivion by four enemies at once...being forced to go into your menu every 5 minutes to burn leeches off your junk and listen to some cheesy pokemonesque voiceover about how much Snake likes whatever food you just ate...a completely unnecessary stamina gauge...a completely unnecessary healing system...a relatively unnecessary camoflage system. The clunky ****-tacular controls force us to abuse what few features allow us to survive an encounter with two enemies.

In MGS, to lean against a wall, peak out, aim and shoot, you have to press almost every button on the top of the controller plus up to two face buttons AND an analog stick. In, say, Winback, you press one button to do all of that easily. So this resorts to you having to do the dumb ninja tackle thing to everyone you see, or using the throat slash tactic. There is no other useful way to fight. It also seemed like sneaking by the enemies was a lot less viable then they made it out to be, too--I don't think there was ever a time where I was able to avoid fighting completely...other than tackling and running for the 'exit door' of the current forest room I was in.

The bosses were some of the stupidest I've ever seen in a game, ever. The plot holes are terrible. The characters are terrible.

To be honest it was one of the worst games I ever played. Even with good control, the game is still junk to me. The characters, the lame uber-japanesified storyline, and the convoluted hype about having to survive in a forest that is really only like ten to twenty 'rooms' wide.

I always knew Hideo was overrated, but **** man. I thought that he could at least avoid ****ing this up too severely. MGS1 was by far the best one...I wish they'd just update the graphics for PS2 and put that out again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
MGS1 was by far the best one...I wish they'd just update the graphics for PS2 and put that out again.
I always wondered why they did that for Gamecube and not for PS2, it never really made any sense to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The GC remake is spectacular, graphics-wise. The voice acting is of lesser quality though, and the game is way too easy.

On Normal Mode, you already start out with more HP than you can gather from defeating all the bosses in the PSX game on Easy. Also, being able to use first-person targeting makes it so much easier to just take out guards and cameras from a distance.

I still really enjoyed Twin Snakes though, if only for the vastly improved graphics (allowing me to revisit all the locations, only now with them looking so much better), and for the new cutscenes. The new cutscene where Snake first meets the Ninja made go o____o.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is definitely good in the man's catalog, up to a point. But he's reached that level where his amazingly convoluted sense of plot and gameplay have finally outweighed the sheer coolness of Solid Snake vs. Metal Gear.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whats this crap about a hard drive? i dont have a hard drive, i have an online adaptor and a first gen ps2, and a memory card i've been using since i got my ps2, when they first came out.

Chikara

C
Ravendust said:
I'm in two minds to get it. Snake Eater remains one of my favorite games of all time, i've got 100% completion on Very Easy, Easy and Normal, as well as 1st's on all the duels and SvM. I don't know if it's worth getting, as i'd have to do everything again (it doesn't recognise saves). The thing is, a lot of the new features to the US Subsistence were already present in the PAL Snake Eater, except for the third-person camera and maybe a couple of other things.
Yeah, gotta be my best one too. I reaallly wanna play it online >_<

Edit: Uhm, i dont think you need a hard drive o_O Just that disc and the adaptor thing you put on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom