Metal Gear Solid (and a quick FPS question)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was never a fan of stealth games. I played the X2 Wolverine game and I was annoyed with the stealth part of it. But I still finished it and it was fairly enjoyable in the long run.

I hear so many great things about the MGS series though. Its like...I always hear the same things. "MGS IS SUCH AN AMAZING SERIES OMGWTF I SPLOOGED!"

So, I was hoping you MGS fans can shed some light on why you like this game so much when the gameplay revolves around sneaking around and barely doing any sort of combat at all.

Also while I'm at it...can anyone here reccomend a really good online FPS game for the PS2 or PC? Preferably PS2? I'm in the mood to go online and shoot people.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dont judge all stealth games by the wolverine game, that game was pure crap in comparison.

alot of MGS appeal comes from its storyline, and its hollywood movie like cutscenes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the sneaking can become sort of an art. You've got to outthink the enemy. Although honestly, MGS1 and 2 are both mad easy in that regard; it's only MGS3 where the sneaking gets pretty hard, at least for me.

Also, there are a number of decent forced combat moments as well as all of the boss battles for the action, if you're craving it.

I think the main reason though, is the plot/story/cinematics. As you probably know this takes up far more than half of the game. But in all the games it's told beautifully, with well-done twists, superb voice-acting, and incredible direction on the part of Hideo Kojima. Like, the guy is good with using his tools; awesome camera shots and effects and the like. At times I thought it was better than an actual movie. It gets you immersed and wanting to continue.

Along with that are all of the little details that go along with the game; small secrets hidden around, inside jokes, or even minor enemy details like being able to shoot their walkie-talkies out or them being able to see your shadow, etc. They put a lot into it, you can tell.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Metal gear isnt just about sneaking around, its about being intellegant, working out some puzzles, understanding sitatutions, tons of easter eggs, awesome storyline (imo). I love the bosses, plus in parts there is alot of action, mostly in parts according to the storyline, because if you play the games well you dont have to get in many fights. You can spend hours at a time (well.. i did) just messing around in different sitations taking out different guards in different ways, and seeing what works best. Its also got quite a realism factor, due to the fact you arent completely a one man army, meaning when a squad comes in to tackle you, you'll be lucky to get out alive unless you hide. I hate stealth games, but Metal Gear is definately one of my favourate games of all time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because anyone who says theres no combat in mgs is a moron.

simple answer. there is as much combat as you want there to be.

while the emphesis is on sneaking, and working your way around un-sighted, there are a lot of action elements, and in some parts they are a nececity. for example, in MGS1 there are more than a few parts, where your either cornered, and you have to survive for a period of time, (fairly early on) with just a pistol. or later on, when you have an almost complete arsenal of weapons at your disposal, and your aim is to reach the top of a com tower, while guards litterally pour both up, and down the stairs toward you.

while there are some parts where its nececary to fight head on, if your playing on hard or greater difficulty, if you run into an area guns blazing, ull die pretty fast. once the guards are alerted to your presence, they keep coming in squads until you find somewhere decent to hide long enough for them to go back to their rounds.

that being said, its always amusing to find as many ways to kill the guards as you can, either via headshot, close combat, throwing over a high ledge, kneecapping etc. sometimes its awsome to plant c4 on their backs, and run like buggery :p

all in all, MGS is a good series, even mgs2, which i disliked playing as raiden, that was pretty much the only bad point. it was awsome however, watching solid snake do his thing from another persons point of view. the story's are pretty good, and very involving.

all i can say is, give them a shot, if you dont like them, at least you tried.

in terms of story, and gameplay, id say:

storyline:
MGS3: Snake Eater
MGS1: Metal Gear Solid
MGS2: Sons of Liberty

gameplay
MGS2: sons of liberty

id play them in order, really. you could play 3 first, and not wonder about the storyline at all (its a prequal). but playing the second before the first, will make no sense at all (even though the second is almost a clone of the first.)

the first game plays almost the same as second and third. the second has a first person aiming feature, which the first game was lacking, and the third has some great features like having to heal, comoflage, and feed yourself (hunting for food :yes:).

edit: i forgot about the bosses... most of the bosses in mgs1 will be challenging, mgs2 arent so tough, except vamp....
mgs3... THE FEEEAAAAARRRRR
i love the series, i even have Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the nintendo =]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
alot of MGS appeal comes from its storyline, and its hollywood movie like cutscenes.
Quoted for truth. Also unique, interesting characters.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
You can spend hours at a time (well.. i did) just messing around in different sitations taking out different guards in different ways, and seeing what works best.
So true. Back when I played it, I had a save spot I would load just so I could mess around with the guards on MGS2. The thing is that if you know what you're doing, yeah, there isn't a LOT of combat. But when there IS combat, it can be pretty damn sick; and if you feel like it, you can have it whenever you want. In MGS2 the AI is pretty good, and they form up into squads and go in certain order and crap; fighting them and seeing how long you can survive is pretty sick. I'd run around planting C4 on walls, then alert them, get into a firefight, run off, and waiting for them to file in, blow the C4 on them, keep running, get onto some catwalk, get into a firefight there, maybe charge some guys and hand-to-hand them; the world is your oyster. The graphics are beautiful and the hit physics and ragdoll are perfect.

Best answers
Yeah anyone who says you have to JUST sneak around in Metal Gear Solid has obviously never played it all the way through. Yeah you have to at the start and it makes it easier to do so, but if anyone catches you, you can just blow them away as you see fit further into the game. Sooner or later you will have to hide but still it gives you the option. I really liked MGS Sons of liberty (though the story was crazy) and i have MGS 3 though since ive bought it i havent played it (my mate lent it off me) but the MSG series is awesome.

EDIT* For a good first person shooter stick to PC, Battlefield 2 online is DAMN GOOD!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and if your up for a challenge, order the european versions, and play through european extreme. thats maaaad (get spotted once and its game over... to get the highest rank, you have to finish the game without being seen, losing less than 1 bar of health, no saves, less than 4 hours (depending on the game) and without killing anyone). theres something in the series to suit eeeeveryone.

dark draken... how can you soil a mgs thread with bf2 bull****? ;_;

im now a very sad panda ;_;

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
and if your up for a challenge, order the european versions, and play through european extreme. thats maaaad (get spotted once and its game over... to get the highest rank, you have to finish the game without being seen, losing less than 1 bar of health, no saves, less than 4 hours (depending on the game) and without killing anyone). theres something in the series to suit eeeeveryone.

dark draken... how can you soil a mgs thread with bf2 bull****? ;_;

im now a very sad panda ;_;
qft

I think MGS is a great series the graphics are almost always revolutionary for the console it's on, the story is really, really complex (I think you would have to be insane like the creator to fully understand it X_x) and you get to choose what approach you take to taking out the enemy like axe man said the gameplay suits everyone.

By the way CQC Instant knock out throw FTW!

Best answers
I've loved the MGS series ever since I first played the first game. MGS2 was one helluva ride. Now I'm still waiting for MGS3 to be released on PC....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've played MGS, MGS2, MGS3 and the MGS: Twin Snakes remake for the Gamecube, and I must say, the first game is still the best. That is, the original PSX version. I've been playing both it and the Gamecube remake a lot for the past few days (I blame this stupid thread :3) and I've come to realize the original game has superior voice acting, better camera angles and there are a lot of other little things that just really annoyed me about the remake. Naomi Hunter, Mei Ling and Gray Fox aren't voiced by the same people anymore, which is a shame, because Naomi's and Mei Ling's accents gave them a lot more personality. The voice acting in the remake sounds forced, especially Naomi's. Hers sounds incredibly dull and is just not fun to have to listen to. Even Snake and Campbell sound like they don't really feel like it either. The dialogue is voiced quite differently, with the emphasis placed on different parts of the sentences, and the voicing is quite slow compared to the original game as well. Most of the characters don't sound very energetic, which is a damn shame.

The graphics however are very nice. The game has had a massive overhaul, and it was a great pleasure to see how everything was recreated in high resolution textures and high-poly models.

Then for gameplay.. The game is EASY. VERY VERY EASY.
In MGS1, you start the game with a very small bar of life, which increases after every boss battle. However, in Twin Snakes, you already start the game with the maximum amount of health.. maybe even more. EVEN ON HARD MODE. It's ridiculous. The AI is a little better though: enemy soldiers will send in reports every now and then, and if you take them out, HQ will become suspicious and send in troops to check things out. Enemies will now also shoot and throw grenades at you when they see you crawl into a hiding place. They'll come in squads too, and at first they'll be normal soldiers, but if you kill a few, they'll send in more heavily armed soldiers with shields and whatnot. There's dogtags in the remake as well, for the people who loved the challenge in MGS2. The cinematics are great and are in essence the same, but there's a lot more action going on. The scene after Snake fights Ocelot and encounters.. you know who, is just awesome and left me staring at the screen with my mouth wide open. There's a lot of Matrix-ey stuff going on which is executed really well.

If I was to recommend either MGS or Twin Snakes, I'd say, first play MGS, then Twin Snakes. You should be able to pick up the PSX version of MGS for only a few bucks now, seeing as it's pretty old.

The fact that I prefer the PSX original over the Gamecube remake should be some indication of how superior it is. :3

Best answers
Mad AxMan said:
storyline:
MGS2: Sons of Liberty

gameplay
MGS2: sons of liberty
in that case i would have to say this:

StoryLine
MGS2: Son's Of Liberty

Gameplay:
MGS3
MGS2
MGS1

this is how we do it B)

and what is interesting about MGS serieses? :p well i have to say that i've always been a huge fan of sneaking games and such :p so mgs is just a dream coming true :) the characters are interesting, the storyline is damn great, bosses are great, puzzless are great :p almoust everthing is great in it ^^

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's funny that you both rated MGS3 as having the best gameplay. I'd have to say it goes like this..

Gameplay:
MGS2
MGS1
MGS3

Story:
MGS1
MGS3
MGS2

MGS3 had a very enjoyable story.. But the game was vastly slowed down with awkward camera angles, bad camera control, having to constantly go into the menu to switch camouflauge outfits, and the fact that you couldn't sneak up on enemies with just the stick--you had to use the special 'tiptoe' button that was very slow. MGS2 didn't require you to do that, and was significantly faster. MGS3 had incredible graphics, music, story, etc.. But the gameplay was a downgrade from 2. MGS3 was also a bit too easy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyo said:
There's a lot of Matrix-ey stuff going on which is executed really well.
I can only assume you're talking about the sequence where Snake, carrying a Stinger missile launcher, flips, lands on an enemy rocket, surfs the rocket Dante-style, before flipping off it again as it explodes. Bearing in mind you can't move with the Stinger let alone jump and flip around, I thought that was pretty retarded, not to mention unecessary.

Oh btw if you want combat, complete MGS3 once and equip the Patriot for the entire game. Infinite ammo and no reload. My kill record is 326 ;D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wuss, 1047, once i get my new video card ill even record it for proof :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom