messed up ps2, not sure where exactly the problem lies.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have a fairly old "fatboy" model ps2, it still loads games perfectly, save for the thinner, cheaper dvds. in which case i have to put tape around the inner edge of the disc so it will spin it.

when certain sounds are played, a high frequency sqeak sound is played through my speakers. which is usually much louder than the games regular volume.

IE, the sound of ice/rocks breaking in star ocean, or certain spells/skills in KH1, and so far (only 20 minutes into the game =\) once in KH2 when roxas's keyblade materialized for the first time.

i have a fairly decent sound system, and i have it ran through a cheap 20$ vcr from walmart. I bring this up beacuse it is possible that this is the problem.

however in my huge library of games, star ocean was the only one it had done it to, until i got kingdom hearts 1&2 anyways, it was ALOT louder in star ocean though. to the point it almost popped your ears even at low volume.

this leads me to believe there is some sort of problem somewhere in the way i have it all hooked up, or a partially broken peice of hardware.

problem is, everything appears to be working just fine >_>

ill try and sum it all up, I have my dish network reciever, xbox, and ps2 all ran through the same VCR. which is ran by a standard coax cable to my television. from there the audio is split to my sound system via red/white auidio cables (i forget the proper name)

the squeak noise is loud enough that it is clear that it is not supposed to be there, and its extremely distracting to boot.

anyone got any ideas on what this could be,

Best answers
Hmm..i had a similar prob once.. was when i played games,listened to music etc..well my prob was that the cables sucked wasnt plugged in right etc..:S Did u check that all teh cables are plugged in right, so they are lose.. on the speakers,vcr and your tv.. If it isnt that then its probably your speakers thats starting to go bad..or worst case scenario your ps2 is ****ing up :S

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if the ps2 was messing up, im sure the moving parts would die off long before the audio output.

i know the speakers arent going bad either, cuz well, they still sound perfect on everything INCLUDING the ps2, save for the little problem listed above on those 3 games. (and possible more i have never played)

and im sure everything is plugged in right, cuz well, everything WORKS, its just that on the listed 3 games (and possible more i never noticed or played) it does a high pitch squeak on certain sound effects.

and that is what bugs me, i know everything is set up right (as i ve had it set up this way for years with no problems with anything else), but the problem is still there and i have no idea what is causing it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, why not try disconnecting that **** from your VCR and plugging them into the TV normally, and see what happens?

If it's the VCR that's giving you problems, you shouldn't be having that audio problem if the VCR isn't connected.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, simply put. the televison and ps2 are about 15 feet apart.

thats why i have the vcr there in the first place, if you catch my drift, if I move the ps2 I would then also have to purhcase a wireless controller. and th eonly one worth a flop is logitechs 50$ one >_>

Best answers
How about trying another vcr? borrow a friends vcr or something and see if that helps >_>

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i tested hooking up the ps2 to the television directly, (well through one of those cheap AV switch box things anyways) and though it got rid of the problem it made my stero system sound like complete ASS.

through the VCR at least, things sounded just fine. (save for the chirp sound) but to TV directly, my rear speakers at least are loud as hell. it COULD be that they are directly behind my chair, but they were never this loud before, and though i can turn them down independently from the rest of the speakers, no matter how low i turn them, whenever donald casts a spell from directly behind me it drowns out everything else >_>

meh, fix one problem find another

Best answers
Well that just sounds ****ed up..but did u try hooking it up with a different vcr? -.- go and borrow your friends vcr or something and try that -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom