Melee Suggestions' Thread

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sources say that dev team members (PcJoe, cough, PcJoe) are having a tough time coming up with a decent concept for the melee system. Now, all of us want a sweet, true-to-the-show dbz style melee system; so I created this thread. This thread's purpose is to inspire ideas in the masterminds behind the melee system so we can kind of speed things up and also, have a compilation of many dbz fan's ideas.
-Rules-
Post only about the melee system, nothing else (i.e. Don't go using this thread as an opportunity to ***** about beam sprites)

I'll post my own idea soon enough... as for now, let the Melee Suggestions' Thread roll!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
introduce ground melee battles, theres another thread that goes more into the concept here, http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=61422

Idea 1 : My own idea would be to allowed to fire ki blasts, generic beams, and generic balls while swooping, or sprint running ( see ground melee link) to add some skill to esf. And to keep it balanced, your still not allowed to charge a large beam (kamehameha) while swooping.

Idea 2 : One idea that i thought of is to add a slight random factor when you hit someone with a basic melee hit. Maybe characters that are more ( or less) oriented towards melee will have a slightly higher chance for this. When you hit someone with the basic hit, every once in a while there is a chance that your blow will be stronger then the usual hit (similar to what a red arrow is now, in advanced melee, but this hit could be unrecoverable). I like the idea that after all the hits im landing on someone, that one of them might be that x factor and deal more damage then others, and gives you something to look forward too. You can even add a special effect to signal to the player that he got it the hit. You can even add something to this. If a player is getting very weak in hp, his chances are a little higher, to encourage him to fight as much as possible.

Idea 3: I remember different times throughout the show that some basic melee type hits were unrecoverable , and the fighter would go flying very fast until he landed into the ground. Maybe this concept could be introduced. It could be very hard to pull off, or could be that random factor I mentioned earlier. You could also add a new charged melee attack. When you hold down the button, it takes a little time to charge up (can be used while swooping), and after a time limit the attack is released. If it connects , the enemy will be sent flying away very fast and cannot recover. ( this move cannot be combo'd, and will require some stamina to use) And if you miss, you have a slight delay before you can move and attack, leaving you open.

Best answers
basically your talking about a critical hit type idea, which might work in adv melee but not in basic, unfair if your beating someone and they get one hit, manages to be critical and lets you win, by luck more then skill

First, I'd say it would be best to redo the entire melee system, start from how 1.1 was and work around the system with that. As look it like this, how many pros stop playing esf because of how the melee system changed? ALOT. Now the esf team have two choices ahead of them, both mean getting rid of the current melee because even they know it is utter crap to play.

1 do what I suggested, use the old 1.1 melee code and fix all the bugs and problems with it, I never played 1.1 that much to find out any but I'm sure they knew of a few. This will not only cut down on the amount of work, but let the coders REALLY get into the melee system without them getting into a stress because they know, the melee system is already good, so how can they make it great is the question they only need to ask (also I must add I'm betting someone has suggested this before but this would be the better option)

Two make a completely new esf melee system, (I'm talking about the one in the dev files), which will take allot more time, it could not work at all, or it could be better then 1.1 could EVER have been

Both choices have good and bad points, for example if they do the first suggestion then they could be accused of being lazy and retreating back to an earlier code. But the second could be worse then the system we got now, at the end of the day I'd say the best thing to do is for the coders to leave the melee till last, as it's the hardest and largest thing to do it will need all of them working on it,

Force Pit Member
Best answers
sounds interesting, but its like a whole new concept, doubt the team would go for it, so i tried to think of ideas that would improve the basic melee we have now.

Desmond tiny, read these articles, http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=57392 .
They are already making good changes to fix the movement in esf. I like how they are taking it so far. The last thing they plan on doing is scraping the whole melee system they had worked on, so adding suggestions to what we have now would be better.

Im trying to add some variety to basic melee. My idea about the critical hit will be pretty rare, but could work out. If this idea were applied to players that were weaker in hp, it still gives them an edge to deal some damage, and still be feared by opponents , instead of "he's almost dead, he has no chance". It will keep the game interesting. And why should all hits be the same damage, every once in a while, one hit can do more damage then usual.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I don't want this thread to die, as it is for the good of the developers. People like ssjgoku, who post an idea every day, should post their ideas here so we don't spam up the place.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was atleast two offical melee suggestion threads while 1.2 was in development. Most of the ideas were terrible to say the least.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My idea for 1.3 Melee
---------------------------
firstly...Do away with advanced melee... If people want kicking and punching... read on

Ok. When you swoop at someone you have a few options. It's kind of similar to Tony Hawk's Underground... you press X to ollie and the ARROW according to which trick you want to do. X + < is a kickflip, X + > is a heelflip, and so on. Ok, this melee idea works similarly.
---------------------------
Left Mouse = Punches, elbows, ramming (Upper body)
Swoop + Left mouse hold + Left hold = Punch... you can change the strength of these hits by holding down whichever arrow you want to use and a little charge bar fills up
Swoop + Left mouse hold + Right hold = Elbows
Swoop + Left mouse hold + Down hold = ramming (with shoulder)
--------------------------------------
Right Mouse = Straight Kicks, knees, Sommersault kick (like a flip kick, smashing them down towards the ground)
Swoop + Right mouse hold + Left hold = Straight kick (extended leg out and body almost horizontal)
Swoop + Right mouse hold + Right hold = knees (Kneeing someone.. like in the show)
Swoop + Right mouse hold + Down hold = Sommersault kick
--------------------------------------
Swooping at someone with nothing held down lets you choose to throw someone

I also think there should be a turbo swoop, like the one in EVM. It uses up more ki, but it's a temporary boost of speed. Thanks

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Sub said:
There was atleast two offical melee suggestion threads while 1.2 was in development. Most of the ideas were terrible to say the least.
If the idea is that bad, then it can be ignored. Eventually you might come across an idea that will be useful =).

This idea is for visuals. I think they can add a bigger force bubble that radiates out after each basic melee hit, so you can see it better from a distance.

Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
This idea is for visuals. I think they can add a bigger force bubble that radiates out after each basic melee hit, so you can see it better from a distance.
I like that. It can make the hits feel more real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom