Melee on main page.

Best answers
The thing about the swoop is that if you slow it down, u unbalance the gameplay. If charging a swoop (which is their current idea), takes as long as powering up a full bar of ki, then teleporting would be the ideal way to get around the map. Just need to look at balance issues when coming up with a new idea about this

Best answers
tbh i dont like the sound of this new system.. autopunching.. wtf, its far too noob friendly, and from what i can tell will require very little skill to perform. Tbh the whole idea of the non lock to swoop is a bad one too.. now you can overshoot your target whenever you swoop now. But this can be learned with skill.. however, the so called 'advanced' melee i feel will shy a lot of players away from esf... those who are new to melee that is, since at the moment, it does require a lot of skill and practice in order to win at melee.

Summing it up, the automatic hitting is a bad idea.

Best answers
Super_Vegeta.LE said:
tbh i dont like the sound of this new system.. autopunching.. wtf, its far too noob friendly, and from what i can tell will require very little skill to perform.
people have been complaining about this, but noone has explained how this requires SO MUCH LESS skill than HOLDING THE BUTTON DOWN. that's the ONLY DIFFERENCE.
Super_Vegeta.LE said:
Tbh the whole idea of the non lock to swoop is a bad one too.. now you can overshoot your target whenever you swoop now.. .
Overshoot? With the previous melee, when you got in range and you were holding the button, you would hit the guy. same here but no button holding.... how can you overshoot?
Super_Vegeta.LE said:
however, the so called 'advanced' melee i feel will shy a lot of players away from esf... those who are new to melee that is, since at the moment, it does require a lot of skill and practice in order to win at melee..
Have you looked at the # of tutorials, complaints, confusion and frustration from new player about the current melee system? Anything would be easier for them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super_Vegeta.LE said:
tbh i dont like the sound of this new system.. autopunching.. wtf, its far too noob friendly, and from what i can tell will require very little skill to perform. Tbh the whole idea of the non lock to swoop is a bad one too.. now you can overshoot your target whenever you swoop now. But this can be learned with skill.. however, the so called 'advanced' melee i feel will shy a lot of players away from esf... those who are new to melee that is, since at the moment, it does require a lot of skill and practice in order to win at melee.

Summing it up, the automatic hitting is a bad idea.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
im guessing you havent read the past 4 pages...

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darksun said:
people have been complaining about this, but noone has explained how this requires SO MUCH LESS skill than HOLDING THE BUTTON DOWN. that's the ONLY DIFFERENCE.

Darksun is right. There is no real skill in holding down a button either. Besides, there is a hell of a lot more to 1.2 melee than autopunching, but you'll figure that out whenever the team gets around to explaining it.

Overshoot? With the previous melee, when you got in range and you were holding the button, you would hit the guy. same here but no button holding.... how can you overshoot?
You can easily overshoot without the lock on system. With the lock on system, swoop is terminated when you get within melee range of your opponent. This is to make sure that melee actually connects with your opponent. If you don't stop swooping when you get next to somebody in 1.2 you wont be able to hit them.

Have you looked at the # of tutorials, complaints, confusion and frustration from new player about the current melee system? Anything would be easier for them.
I have a feeling that 1.2 melee wont be "easier" for new people, and in fact, it should be more difficult to master. Remember, autopunching isn't all there is to the melee, that's just how you start things off.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hah, thanks :) Guys make it a lot easier on me, I don't need to constantly repeat myself anymore ^_^

I have a feeling that 1.2 melee wont be "easier" for new people, and in fact, it should be more difficult to master. Remember, autopunching isn't all there is to the melee, that's just how you start things off.
Yeah, it's going to be harder then beta 1.0/1.1 melee. In 1.1 we had people who played for 48 hours on the same skill level of a player who played for weeks.

Best answers
Yeah u guys are right ~ i cant hear this : "im so~o skilled at 1.1 melee and the new system i never played has so~o less skill requirements " ppl anymore ...just wait and then play it and u will see ~ as in every game in this world ... someone with more experience is better than someone with less ~ Thats all about this "skill" thing ~ did u ever play for fun ?

Best answers
:yes: Well on a, hole i like the update. Change is good and i dont think any1 should criticise the way things being set out.... the esf team (at stated b4) work long and hard to come up with concepts and ideas to change the game 4 the better. They ask 4 feed back and all they get "i dont like it"..... but enuf about that im sure all that noise died a few poast ago soooo :rolleyes:

i like the idea of charged swoop.... u can use small bursts to move quickly ina small area or full bar for a total retreat.......
and (and im not sure if this has been said b4 but..) i think the term "autopunching has been taing out of context somewhat......im sure i read that i read there can be up to 12hits so y the "upto" unless theres some sort of way to block or counter based on Pl or button bashing or something. (thats not a compleat thought im just going with one of those 2am gut feellings :p ) and i think stuntime is like if u dont block enuf it leave and openings for chains or linkers (remembers killer instinct :devgrin: ) as in ANY fight real or virtual... :fight:

i also recall reading that u may not be just sitting there being pummeled to death or somethign like that witch streingthens my thought

but hay its early days and all so who can b sure of anythign. so sit back and wait. u want something changed or dont like theres a lil thing called constuctive criticim.....use it..its a hell of a lot nicer way of getting ur point across.....

ESF team keep up the good work and the updates trickling (ur driving ppl nuts :laff: )

now i know non of that prolly makes any scence at all but like i said its 2am the dogs making more scence ATM so id like to apologize if anyhtring i said has been repeated anywhere (kinda got to page 3 and it was like conplain flame rince and repat)

Best answers
the only problem I can think of for not holding down the button is if you teleport at the guy and hes facing you, how are you gonna determine who gets the attack? I don't know what everybody is doing all the time, but I'd assume that if you teleport at a guy he wouldn't be holding down the button and thats why you got the initiative after the teleport. That might be a problem.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nobody will simply "get the attack" in a head on anymore. At least, it isn't currently planned that way. Odds are because of auto punching and head-ons being so contreversial they will most likely implament some kind of struggle system. That is not to say that the struggle system will require you to have a higher PL than your opponent, it's just to say that you will need to win some kind of struggle to pull off your auto punches in a head to head.

That isn't official yet though. They are still debating what to do.

Best answers
Heh, a DDR kind of struggle with the direction pad. Nah I'm just kidding(it wouldn't feel like an action game like that). Why are you guys worrying? They know how to make a game, so let them think of the ideas, and if you guys have great ideas, you could post them in the suggestions(because they probably won't be looking on any other board for suggestions, but that is just my guess). I have my faith in the team to pull off a better melee system, and make the game more fair.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Explain what you mean by "more fair."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
omg thats amazing someone who isnt jumping to conclusions about the melee!

i mean come on peopel do any of u honistly think the esf team would make a sucky melee system? no way thats just lame to think that

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
You can easily overshoot without the lock on system. With the lock on system, swoop is terminated when you get within melee range of your opponent. This is to make sure that melee actually connects with your opponent. If you don't stop swooping when you get next to somebody in 1.2 you wont be able to hit them.
yeah, but they didn't say anthing about the swoop not stopping in the new version if you are in range, but not facing the opponent. May be the same.

Sonic Boyster said:
I'm sorry, let me clarify what I ment: easier to get a grasp of. Like joe said, they wanted to make it so people who didn't necessarily want to get into complex battles that they could hit and run. I may be wrong since I really only know about the auto punch..

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darksun said:
yeah, but they didn't say anthing about the swoop not stopping in the new version if you are in range, but not facing the opponent. May be the same.
But see, this would be bad. If you stopped any time you got close enough to autopunch anybody you can only hope you didn't accidentally swoop by an opponent you didn't want to fight or you would not only both stop swooping but possibly start autopuncing each other. I doubt it will work this way. At least with lock on it only stopped you when you ran into whomever you were locked onto.

And I know just enough more about advanced melee than you to say that whether or not it is easier to grasp, it will still be much harder to actually perform effectively against somebody who knows what they are doing than, say, last second meleeing or getting in a lucky swoop.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
advanced melee is hardly that difficult to learn

its not like its so complex u need a 50 buttion combo to do a punch

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Of course not, Hibiki. I'm thinking the same, that it wont be too hard to understand the new advanced melee. I have a good idea on how the melee is going to be. Advanced melee is going to be awsome, most people wont expect it to be like it "might" be, but i'm guessing it's going to be something very different from anyother HL mod. I have good expectations for advanced melee, and I know the team will do a good job in planning everything out and making 1.2 outstanding. Soooo, until I can actually test out 1.2, I will make no further suggestions, because like mastasurf said, this just kicks things off for the real advanced melee. So, no one can really make any suggestions yet, because they might end up loving the way the team makes it. :rolleyes:

Best answers
I am starting to think of how much harder it is to learn advanced melee if you're not a beta-tester....makes me wonder when 1.2 is going to be released

Maybe we could have a release party for 1.2 in IRC :D Works for me but I might not be able to attend....whoops going Off-topic here....

Anyway....I like the sound of the new melee system,lets just hope they tell us what happens in phase 2 of advanced melee,and the melee PS ,if there is any :D

Hibiki said:
its not like its so complex u need a 50 buttion combo to do a punch
LOL

ESF team,you officially rock together with the NS team....in my book at least :D

Best answers
What I mean't about more fair was this. No more head on attacks, no more interrupting in 1 on 1 battles unless the players decide to(somehow they should make it if the player wants to decide to 1 on 1 battle willingly rather then having someone come in and interrupt, or they could make it a server issue). I mean I don't have much problem in one on ones, but I always see some n00b or some guy that was angry that I killed him earlier jump in on me and start trying to hit me.

I won't start complaining though about 1.2 melee until it is released because that is unfair to judge something that hasn't even been released yet. I hope the ESF team has their mind set on what they are going to do and doesn't listen to all you people complaining, because then we are never going to get version 1.2 if they always change their mind because you guys think it is a bad idea(not that they would)

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RaVe said:
Anyway....I like the sound of the new melee system,lets just hope they tell us what happens in phase 2 of advanced melee,and the melee PS ,if there is any :D
Oh, there will be melee Powerstruggles :) It would be sad to put DT's animations to waste, they look pretty sweet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom