Melee good or bad you decide. (Official Melee Post)

Do you like the ESF melee system

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• It should be changed.

• Lets talk about something else.

• Total voters
Best answers
i have been playing this game for 3 days straight, and i have mastered melee, i kill anyone who dares melee fight me....but now its just boring, i mean, i try and step away from melee and shoot a beam *SMACK* i get meleed :S ugh, i mean, look around a map the next server u go in *Watches every single person swooping and meleeing*. man, this is getting pretty lame now and dont say its cus i cant handle melee, i kick everyones ass at melee, but it isnt even dbz anymore, its "Swoop Melee DBZ" basically....So i ask you, is it fun doing pure melee anymore? :S

Best answers
Man, I wish block was a bit more responsive. I just went one on one with a guy who blocked my every attack, but it takes two to five taps to get block working for me...bah.

Best answers
Originally posted by Scruffie

Um well, Goku (for example) never just crosses his arms and hopes they attack him from the front, he blocks all sides. Block should stop attacks from all sides, so there's none of getting past the block.
If you mean that they should change block so it blocks from all directions, i think this is not necessary. Like I said before, look at your scouter. you can clearly see the red dots swooping in at you from behind. Spin around, block and hit.

it was fun for like....15 mins....but after that....it just seemed like a hassle. u have to be a certain distance away...or it wont hit....u have to right click EXACTLY at the right time..or u sit there and stop. when ur charging at someone thats far away....it like...stops....when u get somewhat close to them. blocking is just plain ANNOYING now....
sounds like you have no idea of how to control melee.
To swoop: Click the primary fire button ONCE. Don't hold it down.
To stop swooping: Click the primary fire button ONCE again while in the swoop. Your player will stop swooping.
To hit the opponent: If you are swooping in, you can HOLD secondary fire down and once you're in range the kick will be performed.

Some things to keep in mind:

Is your opponent blocking your attacks? If this is true, you will still see the big white flash like they were hit, but they wont go flying. You will often get counter attakced if this happens. Remedy: Teleport or block as soon as your kick has been blocked.

Are you hitting the target and not realizing it? Once you hit your target, they will go flying! Are you hitting them, and not realizing that they are now 2 km away on the other side of the map? Are you assuming that you have swooped and missed them?

The melee system is no hard to control, it's just hard to get really good with it. I was playing wogasm (he's around on these forums somewhere) last night and he was whooping my arse BIG TIME with melee. If you can use teleports, swoops, swoop cancelling and blocking effectively you will get VERY good at melee just like he was. I couldn't get a hand on him.

i have been playing this game for 3 days straight, and i have mastered melee, i kill anyone who dares melee fight me....but now its just boring, i mean, i try and step away from melee and shoot a beam *SMACK* i get meleed
so you have mastered melee? If you have, you still haven't mastered ESF because you cant beat meleers. Keep playing, get better until you can beam them.

Best answers
um, with how long it takes to charge beams like kameha,etc... u cant do crap if a melee'r charges if ur charging it up...unless u smack em away, but that only buys u about 3 or 4 secs, not enough to fully charge

Best answers
use generics beams in short to mid range, use strong beams only in long range. thats the way it is sorry. its like, are you gonna stand in the middle of the map on display and do your transformation? if you do that you WILL get your arse kicked by the closest 3 people. Just like with kames, you cant do them when the target is relatively close to you.

Best answers
I've only played a few times, so I may not have had the variety of experience that the rest of you have, but I like the melee. One of those things that was a reocurring irritation for me in DBZ was how every stupid hero or villian would sit stupified as someone charged up a beam attack and took it full in the face. If I had an opening there's no way I would let you do that. Kudos to ESF for fixing that. I also read a lot of people saying that you can block one attack, but you can't block the back attacks. If you're in to the show, inevitably where does the solid hit on a tough opponent come from? Above and behind, almost without variation. Aside from that, no offence guys, but it's a team game, get a helmet. You are supposed to work with your teammates against other people, it's your own fault if you charge alone in against five people and can't take the heat. And in Deathmatches, you can't expect people to follow some lofty code of ethics. If all you want is duels, play on 2 people servers or servers that only have duels. Certainly Melee needs some tweaking, but as far as I'm concerned it's on the right track. And it IS a beta, it's not supposed to be finished.

Best answers
Hey hydrosity. From what you wrote i must assume you're always hovering in the middle of the map with turbo activated and trying to shoot Final Flash's. Of course you'll get knocked down. Try charging beams without turbo and a bit away from the enemy. Most people won't even notice you until its too late. Also evading someone swooping when you are charging a beam is easier than you think(And with Goku its so friggin easy that noone can touch you if you have ki left). I for myself fire a fully charged beam AT LEAST every 2 or 3 minutes and i don't think that's particularly low. Beams shouldn't be nonstop machineguns after all.

Best answers
I think melee nad beams are really good balanced.
Lateron beams are even more effective than melee, because you can move while charging them...most of the people forget about that...
But still melee is the funniest of all and if you look at the DBZ series youll see that they use melee in most of the cases...so excuse my englih plz and have a nice life :)

Best answers
I personally think that all the melee system needs is a toggle from the current system to a system where you primary fire to initiate a punch-kick-block system where the strongest man wins the struggle. Like when two guys on the show come at each other and their hands and feet are moving superfast at each other.

Best answers
yay a block that works .1% of the time, melee was fun to me before people started using it, it is far to unstopable and that makes it as naff as the disc's, big bangs and final flashes in the alpha :S, also the fact that you dont need to be anywhere near acurate to hit someone with the melee its got some kind of huge hit area and lastly you can end up right clicking up to 8 times before it works

Best answers
omg! :eek: revolutionary idea! and they had been trying to make a stick man fight combat system all along the sillys! ok you start coding and we'll see you in 5 mins ;)

Best answers
And there is only one thing that shold be changed. That one thing is:

Make it so players cannot block indefinitely. Make it like a 5 second limit to block, with a 3 second period before being able to block again. The numbers may need some tweaking, but that would do away with block whores and make melee a bit better.

That's all I know.

Best answers
i think thats a bit unfair and forces people to fight back with melee which they might ot want to

better off getting rid of all the melee whores :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by [RAW]Fusion
i think thats a bit unfair and forces people to fight back with melee which they might ot want to
yea, unless your alot more powerfull then the meele fighter u cannot beam them to death, even gen beam takes too long to chrage for it really.

Best answers
""yay a block that works .1% of the time, melee was fun to me before people started using it, it is far to unstopable and that makes it as naff as the disc's, big bangs and final flashes in the alpha , also the fact that you dont need to be anywhere near acurate to hit someone with the melee its got some kind of huge hit area and lastly you can end up right clicking up to 8 times before it works""

Hey RawFusion you DID read the manual didn't you? it's HOLDING the button NOT CLICKING it like crazy...And it works all of the time for me no problems. I have no problems with using beams even when someone is desperately trying to melee me i still get a blast in his face. So if you can't get off your blasts you should just train more I guess. Also i would like a server list from you beacause i never EVER found a server where the people don't use beams(or almost no for that matter).

Best answers
Hi everyone, its been a while since i posted but i still read the forums alot. Seeing as i couldn't be bothered reading through all 11 pages of posts I thought id just give my 2 cents on what I think the melee system is like and what type of changes i think should be incorporated.

First id like to say i voted yes to the new melee system, i do like it and give it an 8/10 especially for a 1st beta! We may criticise about the beta in some ways but pple, if you've seen the cs beta, or other 1st betas you would die! (As i think some1 else metioned it b4)

Anyway, the melee system is great if you know how to use it, but i would like to see some things change. I think a good idea when you charge at some1 and kick/punch them and they block you shouldnt just stop or bounce away but instead have the option to keep pounding there defense - like in the series. If people block, let them, keep pounding till they have no more energy to defend, this is also great for defenders, because as your opponent is trying to slap you in the face you can block them, then when they leave themselves open you can counter there attack and turn the tables on them!

Second of all I think that when you pres the first mouse button you should charge and hit opponents once but if you click the second mouse button when your close to some1 or after you've charged them you should punch & kick fast, sort of like a leap towards them then continues blows, & if your opponent doesnt block you could keep pounding them for lets say 5 sec then smash them downwards when you pressed mouse1.

Also i think that when some1 charges you there should be some kind of warning when they get close - so if you have a fast reaction time you can quikly teleport out of the way or turn to face them.

Thats my two cents, congratulations to the team for such a great beta 1 :] - truely fantastic. I'm sorry if this has been said before but 11 pages of posts is to much time to spend on 1 thread.

.Panda.

Best answers
My one and only issue with melee so far is that you can swoop through an oncoming beam attack. I think there should be some kind of deflection dealie in there. Cause it's not easy nailing someone as they fly at you, and I think there should be some kind of reward if you do. Maybe the oncoming swooper would get toppled as though meleed, or even just stunned.

Best answers
I would vote... but everytime I try and Melee the game crashes...

Best answers
many posts...

melee is so damn fun and good.... but its to good..... beams should be more useful.. its easlily come to that a melee fight is everywere i want more balance betweem beams and melee without any diffrence made with melee :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom