Melee good or bad you decide. (Official Melee Post)

Do you like the ESF melee system

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• It should be changed.

• Lets talk about something else.

• Total voters
Best answers
Originally posted by KamakaziChicken
melle rocks!!!

adds a true dbz feel to the game!!

nuff said, meele rocks

you tell me the fight where all they did was charge, do one punch, then fire small ki balls till the other guy died and ill agree with you.

this melee is nothing like the fights do to the amazing lack of complexity, to emulate the dbz fist fights would require a number of moves, both grappling and striking moves, and would be impossible with this current number format.

Best answers
Melee system is great much better than any of the other mods ive tried, but the time u are knocked out is sometimes a tad too long... but since this longer knockout only occurs sometimes it does work out alright

Best answers
Originally posted by gradeejohn
you tell me the fight where all they did was charge, do one punch, then fire small ki balls till the other guy died and ill agree with you.
It's a good way to kill a noob, but just try it on an experienced player! Didn't take me long to figure out how to avoid dying like that.

Sure, once in a while I still get killed from an attck like that, but mostly I swoop up out of the KiBlob and kick the attacker across the map. What I do to him next depends on my mood, but it's never pretty.

For every attack there is a counter-attack.

Best answers
Uh.. Actually. After everyone is transformed, trying to keep someone rolling on the ground is really impossible as they get up in a second or two. So the chances of killing them with anything while theyre on the floor is slim... but you can still inflict chipping damage on them.

Best answers
i think it should be changed cause the person that obviously swoops earlier gets the punch which is annoying and plus what the hell do u do when the whole friggin server is meleeing? when your meleeing BOOM comes another guy and kicks your ass its dumb and annoying and the system should be changed

Best answers
I can't see why people are still whinging about inbalance in melee and beams.

Any server I have been on has had a vast usage of BOTH types of fighting, ther eis no denying that. And I (personal opinion) think that alot of people that are getting hit around by melee just focus on "*getting hit around by melee*" and probably don't notice any ki ball or beam attacks going on.

It's like last night I was playing teamplay and I would always end up with 2 Goku's meleeing me. It started to annoy me after a while. I could come on here and have a big whinging rant about people ganging up on you and meleeing you - but wait - I was on a teamplay server. This is what you do in team games. You team up.

I never have a ping less than 200 (NEVER) I normally average about a ping of 400 and I can still play this game fine. I'm normally on the ESFORCES West #2 or #3 servers about 9PM-12AM AU EST (GMT +1000). I admit that sometimes the block doesnt seem to work, and sometimes the melee hit doesn't seem to work but I figure if its a bug, its not just happening to me its happening to everyone.

I just thought I would share this one with you all though... I went onto a server (I think it was an ESFORCES one) and some guy with a high PL was SSJ Vegeta and spamming final flashes into the middle of the map big time. I decided to teach him a bit of a lesson. Meleed him dead a couple of times (he never blocked once) and he says i'm a "melee noob". All I had to say was, "you can't seem to block. that's pretty noob if you ask me" of course his only comeback was "melee noob". Probably had it bound to a key. He continued to FF spam the rest of the round.

FOR PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING MELEED IN THE BACK:

Go play a multiplayer FFA game with guns. Tell me when there is not someone shooting you in the back while you target another enemy. The only difference here is that you are able to NOTICE when the bullets hit you in the back because you go flying. In fact, if you look at your scouter you can see the bullets coming for your back and you have enough time to teleport or swoop away from it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by FallenAngel
@Tepus and all having problems with melee: I'm very sorry for you(honestly, no joke) because you must have very bad luck with the servers you played on. I nerver ever saw a single server where there weren't beams flying around everywhere and people power-struggling.
I host my own dedicated server, so my ping is 0, its not as good as yours, i host 6 ppl with all them on 100- ping, 56ks on about 200-, yes i have seen servers will beams too, of coruse i have, lets brack it down, and tell u what i think...

On the start of a game, with about 1mil PL, beams are pointless, this IS not a bad thing at all, but they are pointless, so everyone meeles, thats fine, i guess..

Later on in the game when everyone is about the 10mil mark, no one meeles, since its NUTS and fun when the whole map is a danger zone from the big blasts, so anyone wanting too "swoop" is just gonna be a mark on the wall after he gets in a beam blast.

That does sounds ok, since meele is pointless later on, im sure when in beta 2 we have ssj3 goku running around that meele will be a total joke heh

------------------------------------

About what the guy said afew pages back about calling this "swooping" not meele is right, i agree with him, whats the point of calling it meele really, when right now its just swooping, and even with meele struggles later on it will just be swooping still, but with an added bonus of a lil struggle now and then, swooping is not fun, simpley, its boring, the hit boxes are so big its easy to swoop, and you seem to "run out" of swoop, u can only swoop so far, now is good i guess, since u dont want to be able to swoop nonstop that would be silly, but it also leads to boring close up meele when its just a case of hold down block and then meele fast and if it has not worked puting block back on, too put that anouther way, its Retarded....

-------------------------------------

One more thing, i dont mean to ***** about people, i will not name names, but COME ON, alot of you "meele lovers" are just replying with "OMG U ARE A WHINEING IDIOT" or something like that, grow up abit and post something that helps, i HATE meele, but i have posted in a way that helps esf, saying "I HATE MEELE AND ALL U PPL WHO LIKE IT ARE STUPID" helps no one...

Best answers
im srry, but wtf is up with this **** about im getting hit by melee all the time, and theres never any beam battles anymore.....!!You just block then smack them back, then fire a beam at them. Every game i join or create theres a good mixture of beams and melee. I think its just some peoples lack of skill that they are getting hit by melee so much, im never over flooded with melee, NEVER!.....but hell, thats my opinion:]

Best answers
About what the guy said afew pages back about calling this "swooping" not meele is right, i agree with him, whats the point of calling it meele really, when right now its just swooping, and even with meele struggles later on it will just be swooping still, but with an added bonus of a lil struggle now and then, swooping is not fun, simpley, its boring, the hit boxes are so big its easy to swoop, and you seem to "run out" of swoop, u can only swoop so far, now is good i guess, since u dont want to be able to swoop nonstop that would be silly, but it also leads to boring close up meele when its just a case of hold down block and then meele fast and if it has not worked puting block back on, too put that anouther way, its Retarded....
swooping is just as much a part of melee as punching, that is if you use it in combos (ie swoop + punch...) but if you use it just to get somewhere, then no its not part of melee. Also, beams are used earlier on in games, at least the games ive been in. I know you host ur own server etc... and yes you probably have more experience than me, but i still think that melee when mixed with beams makes a game a lot more fun, rather than using ONLY melee or beams. The system is balanced, leave it alone

There. ive had my rant, now ill get out of the way for other peoples opinions :D

Best answers
it sucks that u cant tell whether a n00b or a good player is posting.....but then again u can

*TRANSFORMING SHOULD MAKE U IMMUNE TO DAMAGE!!!. JUST LIKE IN DBZ (Ya right). about that listen.. DBZ is a challenge of power. People challenge their ki beams like in Goku Vs Vegeta first battle. Galit gun vs Kame. SOmetimes they challenge power. Rekoom (whatever his name is) let Vegeta power up full. BUt if they dont allow it. like Shenron vs Goku Vegeta (trying to fuse) u gotta deal wit it. If ur opponent doesnt feel like "Challenging ur power" and decides to beat the S**T outta u deal with it =P. Ur not turning SSJ3 where he's a mere ssj1. its an equal playing field.
ABout Melee..Well If i smack u away. and I shoot a beam at u if u try to swoop back at me instead of challenging my beam u might just get hit wit it and die. its a game of decisions. Melee and Beams ARE BALANCEd no matter what a N000bie says. watch the series. Know the series. THis game is meant to mimic it. DEal with it!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I read a huge thread of irrelevent *****ing on the melee system.

The melee system in this game is fine. All the things that were complained about were easily countered, and I myself do it on a daily basis (the five button laser mouse certainly helps).

The secret of my success comes from being able to quickly select melee from my weapons list. You can do that via the wheel, but that requires a loss of motor skills for the most part in your mouselooking hand. And your other hand is usually holding your block key if your under heavy melee attack. The problem here is...well...the default key to select melee is the number 1 key, and I DON'T mean the number pad key.

If you use WASD configuration for movement, the 1 key isn't a huge way away. But for arrow people like me (I grew up on DooM, can't help it lol) the 1 key is way too far away. I bound my last free mouse button to automatically switch to melee. I know that probably sounds lame, but I also have another relatively close-by key bound to it as well.

So here's my situation:

Some guy zooms in and tries to melee me. I block, but because I have a beam weapon selected, I can't retaliate...and the enemy is free to continue rightclicking away until I release my block key.

What I do, is, as I block, I use my extra key to switch on melee. You can't lock on while your blocking, but once melee is selected I CAN retaliate during the pause from the enemy's attack being blocked. All I have to do once I hit the melee button is right click, and if he hasn't moved his ass out of the way, he is grand slammed into the far wall.

So the TIP is this: USE THE KEY BINDINGS TO INSTANTLY TURN ON MELEE SO THAT YOU CAN COUNTERATTACK, INSTEAD OF HOLDING BLOCK FOR 20 MINUTES.

Now that that mess is out of the way, I'd like to ask the QUESTION part of my post. More and more people are complaining about the melee and well...I noticed on a few servers that had players who I could NOT lock on to...and I have a laser mouse with good sensitivity...and I never have a problem getting a lock.

On many occasions, I've seen this "melee-proof" people standing still, with no real fear of being locked on to. I repeatedly tried clicking on a fellow who was standing still charging a spirit bomb, and it just would not lock.

And just tonight, in another server...I played in a game where melee worked fine, but the speed of the swoop was reduced to normal turbo booster speed...

Let me just tell you, that made the game totally suck ass. It was boring to watch, boring to play in. It was like,

"Hmm. Sit still and take 20 minutes to acquire my target my manual flight, or use a beam, and try to guide it to hit that really small red dot 20 miles away."

Success, it was just like the Alpha...failure, I didn't find it fun at all.

I'm sure it satisfied the wimpy clan that owned the server, since they apparently had such a hard time handling melee that they found a way to disable it.

The results in that server stunk. People would beam, teleport 6 times, charge, and repeat. It turned this normally action packed and hectic mod into the...tamest piece of junk I ever played, almost.

Finally, a suggestion: the only valid complaint about melee I saw anywhere was that when someone is locked and swooping you and you hit them with a beam, assuming they live, they are still swooping. The problem is easily rectified, but I think that it could be made into a cool part of the game if you just think of it for a minute.

What if, when a beam hits someone who is swooping, it reacts as a melee beam of sorts, where the blast pushes the swooping enemy away (for less damage, of course, until he hits a wall, just like the existing melee system). And the melee struggle meter could come up and the player who was swooping could try to struggle it away before he crashes.

Or an easier system would be to just make the beam explode like normal, but have melee hit effects on a player in swooping mode.

I think it might make the beamers satisfied without crippling the awesome melee system...and I imagine that wouldn't be too tough to implement, considering that it's just making a beam react like a melee hit.

If the beams were just gonna explode and have melee effects on a swooper (and swoopers ONLY I'm talking, not all players or targets, and only in a head-on hit, say...100 degree cone in front of the player), then the beams should do normal damage. If there was going to be an "impact struggle" system implemented, it would probably have to be a little smaller to balance out the amount of damage you'd receive from getting slammed against walls.

And the best part? An SSJ with 7 million for a power level hits a kamehameha wave that was generated by a target with a much lower power level, the beam explodes and does minimal damage without interrupting the swoop.

Sounds cool, doesn't it?

Well...that's all for now I guess. If anyone knows anything about the "unlockable" player problem, please reply with your thoughts and experiences. And tell me what you think of my tip and idea, too.

Best answers
it should have a different system like , if ur going to melee someone , should have something where it has an option to melee against someone u click yes in a little thing that pops up along the screen this is when someone locks target on you , and if u click no the melee will be cancelled and u wont be able to melee.

Best answers
read omega's post - if someone gonna melee you - dEaL WiTh iT!

Best answers
Only thing i hate about it is that you must have a target in order to melee / swoop
At first it didn't annoy me but when they gang up on you and you kill one so you lose the target .. youre a gonner
*addition to my first post*

Best answers
Interesting post and it would be better if the knockback effect was bassed upon damage. That way the less you take the less knockback you suffer.

and , i hope i dont get banned for this, here is the key binding for an auto switch to melee.

alias +autoswitch "slot1; +attack"
alias -autoswitch "-attack"

bind (whatever key you want) +autoswitch

you can enter that in your console or in an autoexec file (if you have one). I love how learning how to script in CS still applies to other games.

Best answers
I like melee, and I like beams, both go hand and hand. I haven't read every post, there is just WAY to many, but from what I've seen its either ki blasts or its beams. Well, not sure about you, but if you get close enough to the person, it doesn't matter WHAT power level they are or how far into the game it is, melee is far more rewarding the beams. Use beams to get in close, then use melee once you are in close, thats what I do.

The only thing I dislike about melee is that during the shows is that they just about always blocked or parryed the blows, in this it's either you stay in a block form or you go flying back 500 meters. There should be a chance that if 2 people swing or attack at same time or close to the same time, they block each other, because atm its either you block or you get nailed.

Also, not sure what everyone is thinking but I saw this at one time. I use beams when I'm at 1 million a LOT more then when I'm at 10, hell I use beams more often then anything, I snipe more then melee. But transforming is useless in my opinion, unless you are gohan because your base power level increases faster when you are in normal form and not powered up then it does at the next level and powered up. Almost twice as fast. I've gotten 200,000 ki from a kill at normal, but that same kill at the next level got me lik 50,000. Normal form is better in my opinion.

Well, my rants done :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like the melee but because melee is so fast the rate at which beams charge needs to be faster

this could have been said a thousand times before but i couldnt be bothered reading ten pages of posts to find out :)

Best answers
I just started on this game on the 4th when I found it and I think one of the most fun things to do is smash people around the map with melee. I think the downfall to melee though is that's all you can do. In my opinion I think that it'd be nice to ALSO be able to do close combat without them flying across the map. And kinda on subject I think it'd be more show-like to have an enemy stop when getting shot with a kamehameha while charging an enemy in melee. I don't mean to be too suggestive but those are my thoughts on the matter.

Best answers
Originally posted by Warpath
Also, not sure what everyone is thinking but I saw this at one time. I use beams when I'm at 1 million a LOT more then when I'm at 10, hell I use beams more often then anything, I snipe more then melee. But transforming is useless in my opinion, unless you are gohan because your base power level increases faster when you are in normal form and not powered up then it does at the next level and powered up. Almost twice as fast. I've gotten 200,000 ki from a kill at normal, but that same kill at the next level got me lik 50,000. Normal form is better in my opinion.

I've never read about your PL increasing slower because you transform before, but I know that if you are ()wning the server your PL goes up slower. If you are ()wning, your PL will be the biggest, therefore your PL increases less per n00b that you kill.
If you are a n00b, and you only get 1 kill to every 10 that some good player is getting, you should get more PL for this I *think* (not 100% sure if this is how it works, because you also get PL increases when you are at a low PL and you get killed. So you can not get a single kill and still have a relatively good PL for it).

So if you are not transforming, you are in effect keeping your PL lower, and you appear to be not as good as you really are. Of course, you are not fighting at your full potential cos you can still transform and would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Best answers
Alright... The way I see how ESF is played now, there are two ways to win:

A) Melee till your ears start bleeding, there are of course variations on destruction. Like Genericing or Ki balling your victim while they're recovering.

B) Sit in a corner, charging a powerful attack (Preferably inconspicuous, like a Kameha, Big bang, Final Flash) and just shoot and kill people from afar.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Then what else is there?!". Suprizingly enough, if ESF is played like DMZ, ESF is a whole lot funner, and less like some deranged pinball game. This is, of course, my opinion, but I feel melee is too easy to do and too hard to counter. -_- As it is now anyways.

Then there's that whole 'Swoop is the fastest and least Ki consuming form of movement in the game'. Plus that red box makes it extremely easy to see your opponet, thus switching to another attack almost assures that you'll eventually lose track of the target... unless you switch to Melee.

Mandetory summary:

"Melee is a bit too easy and useful as it is. And is damn hard to counter unless you got the drop on the enemy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom