Melee Engage Proposal

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Seems like this section has been dull for some time now, I guess I'll attempt to spice it up.

Idea: Allow players to lock on, without ruining the game.

On the player's interface, around the crosshair, would be a transparent outline of a large circle, that fits on the player's screen.

To initiate a lock-on, players would hold the L-Mouse button after their target is inside the circle. For a lockon to even be possible, the intended target needs to be within range, and after holding left-click the player needs to keep their target within the circle for 2.5 to 3.5 seconds.

Once a player is locked on the crosshair disappears, and your ki blast's special ability activates.

No, your screen does not focus on the target, and to keep your lockon you must stay within range of the target.

Ki Blast special ability: Once a player has achieved a Lock-on, the player can now shoot their Ki blasts in a machine-gun-like manner, which drains ki at a constant rate.

The Kiblasts themself can only travel a "Limited" distance before exploading into smoke, and causing a small splash damage. The distance each ki blast can travel is "equal" to the distance between the player and the player's "Locked-on-Target", unless the target is "Out of range" when it's fired.

The ki blasts also act as "Kame Torpedos" in that they're following their target for that limited distance.

Because the ki blasts have a "limited distance" it would be best to suprise your opponent with this attack when they least expect it, but you must stay within range of the player, or you'll lose your lockon.

ps byebye

Best answers
First of all, thanks for putting more suggestions in to talk about. Always good to have ideas to work with.

This is my take on it. My philosophy on making game changes sacrifices complexity of the idea for simplicity of the programming, just because I know it's the only way it works.

I'm thinking the idea of being within a certain range and using the lock-on feature is very possible, sure. If the rapid ki blast attack you suggest has a limited range and the lock-on takes time to engage, why not instead just make it like Vegeta's secondary ki blast attack, where you charge it for 2.5-3.5 seconds and then use it, and just give that a limited range. It would work to the same effect. You could also use the lock-on feature already in the game to make it like a kame torpedo.

If you want it to be more like a channeling-type attack, after you charge and release the attack, make it keep going until you switch it or get hit.

I like this idea. I think there needs to be attacks that are very weak but much faster, and this would be a good addition. Instead of having to close distance to melee, you could use this instead to get some hits in, like Frieza's and Piccolo's laser attacks.

Why use it? Stamina drain from ki damage, and if they had no stamina, then a greater damage.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
First of all, thanks for putting more suggestions in to talk about. Always good to have ideas to work with.

This is my take on it. My philosophy on making game changes sacrifices complexity of the idea for simplicity of the programming, just because I know it's the only way it works.

I'm thinking the idea of being within a certain range and using the lock-on feature is very possible, sure. If the rapid ki blast attack you suggest has a limited range and the lock-on takes time to engage, why not instead just make it like Vegeta's secondary ki blast attack, where you charge it for 2.5-3.5 seconds and then use it, and just give that a limited range. It would work to the same effect. You could also use the lock-on feature already in the game to make it like a kame torpedo.

If you want it to be more like a channeling-type attack, after you charge and release the attack, make it keep going until you switch it or get hit.

I like this idea. I think there needs to be attacks that are very weak but much faster, and this would be a good addition. Instead of having to close distance to melee, you could use this instead to get some hits in, like Frieza's and Piccolo's laser attacks.

Why use it? Stamina drain from ki damage, and if they had no stamina, then a greater damage.
Well, the reason why I suggested it with a "Limited" distance, is so that the move will not be spammable, not to mention the Cool looking smoke trails this would leave behind. The move would have to be timed fairly well to make use of it.

Also, I forgot to mention that this "Special Ki Blast Attack" doesn't or shouldn't require charging up(it should be instant), like Vegeta's Renzoku because of this fact: With a limited distance in place, and with the homing effect of the special ki blast, once you've fired your attack on your opponent, he or she will realize that he's locked-on and will create distance between you and him to deactivate your lock-on.

With these in place, this allows the move be something unlike all other beam attacks, " A useful suprise attack ".

If you think about it, it's possible to allow the other beam attacks to have a special attack of their own as long as they have balancing restrictions. Take the kameha for example, what if after achieving a lockon you could instantly fire a kameha at "will", as long as you still have your lockon.

The draw back of using a "Big Beam" special attack, instead the Ki blast special attack, would be that after using this move you'd lose your Lock-on.

This prevents such a usefull suprise attack move from being spammable.

Also, Unlike the "regular Kameha" this "Special Kameha" not only can be quickly fired without needing to charge it up, but it also has a "Limited" distance and a "Limited" splash damage radius along with the "homing" effect and option pre-detonation.

This is to force players to be wise when using such a move, because if careless, they've just wasted a good amount of ki and stamina leaving them vulnerable

Best answers
I didn't mean the limited distance was a bad thing, I just meant since it IS, why not incorporate it into the attack itself as opposed to being reliant on a lock-on feature?

And instead of making the KHH a special ki attack that uses the lock-on feature, why not just make it the same way independently?

I guess my big question here is, why the lock-on feature?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It's so, the move isn't "Spammable".

Could you imagine people flying around using the Kamehameha instantly at any time they wanted back to back to back =;)

Former Forcepit Member :(
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
lock in is fine for small attacks like gen ball and gen beam but adding it to a khh ff ba msenk and attaks like that the lock on should be removed from them

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
lock in is fine for small attacks like gen ball and gen beam but adding it to a khh ff ba msenk and attaks like that the lock on should be removed from them
Actually we added the lockon for all beams XD

But we made the beams turn a lot less. So right now you turn a KHH round you need more than half the map space XD

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I liked this suggestion when i started reading it, and then it just went out of its way to overcomplicate things.

I think the current beam lockon stuff is fine.

I do like the idea of a player lockon feature, in the sense of a 'eyesight assist' mode. For example, i target my opponent and hit the lockon cmd. A marker of some kind, be it a 1.1 red box or circle, will surround that player while they are in a certain range. Hit the lockon cmd again, or go out of range to disable it.

I find this would be useful in differentiating your enemy from every other player thats also chosen the same class. In the heat of battle, you havent always got time to use your reticle and read the stat overlay. At a glance, I will know who my prey is apart from the rest of the swarm.

This can also be fun when it leads to games of cat and mouse, when a player learns that they have been targeted and thus tries to go out of range to break it, trying to sneak up on the targetter again etc.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I liked this suggestion when i started reading it, and then it just went out of its way to overcomplicate things.

I think the current beam lockon stuff is fine.

I do like the idea of a player lockon feature, in the sense of a 'eyesight assist' mode. For example, i target my opponent and hit the lockon cmd. A marker of some kind, be it a 1.1 red box or circle, will surround that player while they are in a certain range. Hit the lockon cmd again, or go out of range to disable it.

I find this would be useful in differentiating your enemy from every other player thats also chosen the same class. In the heat of battle, you havent always got time to use your reticle and read the stat overlay. At a glance, I will know who my prey is apart from the rest of the swarm.

This can also be fun when it leads to games of cat and mouse, when a player learns that they have been targeted and thus tries to go out of range to break it, trying to sneak up on the targetter again etc.
I think, to apply your idea in a way that would actually effect gameplay. Diamonds would need to be removed from all players. This way, after you've locked on you're more likely to go after locked on players because they're easier to keep up with.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Diamonds or no diamonds (which is an option anyway), being able to instantly spot my opponent among clones speeds up my reactions and i can hunt without second guessing anything. To me that affects gameplay. Like i said

Making the game ergonomic is always a plus for gameplay

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
To put a spin on your idea, I think it would be better if players who've recently hit you were highlighted. As time passes the highlight would fade, this way you'd know who the immediate thread is.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats not bad idea actually, not bad at all.

Best answers
yo this is a little off topic, but since ur talking about lockons i think it would be cool if you put a lock on then are able to teleport below the enemy. kinda like when goku was charging his kahmehameha then tele's below cell and blasts him
:D
would be awesome

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
you can already do that ¬_¬

you just actually have to have some skill at teleporting.

When Goku is SSj you can teleport whilst charging beams.

Best answers
I do like the idea of a player lockon feature, in the sense of a 'eyesight assist' mode.
Now that you mention it, I'd like that too. Maybe a good way to do this would be allowing the lock-on to stay on them after you hold it for so long, as you mentioned. However, instead of attacks being auto-directed to them, instead just makes the attacks slowly altered in their direction. That way it'd be both good for seeing them AND for using ki-attacks that would otherwise be near misses.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
A better Melee Engage Proposal

To put a spin on your idea, I think it would be better if players who've recently hit you were highlighted. As time passes the highlight would fade, this way you'd know who the immediate thread is.
To clarify a bit, players who've recently hit you, "or", who you've recently hit will receive a temporary Icon(Diamond or whatever it will be) above their head. ( To be more innovative, the icon could be a spinning 2D target that circles the targeted player.)

After the Icon's appearance, it will progressively fade away until renewed by another defensive or offensive interaction. The time it takes takes for the Icon to fade completely, could be anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds, depending on the move(Beam attack or Melee) used, whether the player was attacking or being attacked, and on what the Game's Devs see fit.

My preferences:
Any time you attack a player with Melee or a Beam attack, the icon would appear on your screen and would stay for 12 seconds if both players never interacted again. Depending on which attack(Melee or Beam) you used on your target, the time their Icon will appear and stay on their screen will vary.

- If you used Melee, the Icon would stay for 12 seconds.
- If you used A beam attack, the Icon would stay for 5 seconds.

Important Note: A player who you've just hit with Melee, can shorten the time the Icon appears on your screen by hitting you with a beam attack, which doesn't add to the time, but instead instantly sets the time to 5 seconds.

All other players who haven't had any interaction with you would have no icon above or on them to help you keep track of them, causing players to focus on immediate threats. This system, systematically yet freely divides players into small groups.

Players with low skill, will end up targeting resulting in constant 1vs1's

Players with high skill may end up having multiple enemies targeting him/her.

Bonus: A player who's loves to beam spam, would be targeted by each person he or she hits, causing that player to be ganged up on.

I believe this sort of targeting, acts as engaging system that's completely free in all aspects

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what you meant.

I really like the idea of highlighting the threat, although I think the simpler the better.

I get the idea you dont know how long a second actually is. I say this not to be rude, but to point out a second is an eternity in combat.

The time only needs to be 5 secs. Any less is impractical, any more is unnecessary. If you cant spot a glowing red thing within 5 secs, you either need brain/eye surgery, or the highlight is simply badly designed.

If you really wanted to complicate things, I would propose these ideas instead:

- The time the highlight appears, or the initial transparency of it, depends on your stamina. If you have little to no stamina, when you receive a critical hit youre too disoriented to know who hit you.

- A minimum damage requirement. I dont want to know who hit me with minor splash damage, but the guy who is the real threat. Take this example :

Person x melees person y and teleports out of view. After y has been hit but before he recovers, person z hits him with a kiblast, or the splash damage from a kiblast/gen ball. Not realising he is fighting 2 people, person y focuses on person z (the guy with the highlight). Now distracted, person x is free to melee person y again.

Now while i agree its great teamwork, its a little too sly for my liking. The minimum damage requirement should be that of a direct hit of a gen ball.

Best answers
I really like where this is going, and I think once this is mixed in with it, you'll have enough reason to actually consider programing it.

When you hit someone, you can see the diamond over their head, and vice versa. It lasts for say 5 seconds. Afterwards it slowly fades, and here's the trick... or treat hehe.

The opponent, after 5 seconds, will disappear from your scouting radar, so it makes them harder to track. Keep in mind this works both ways. Now there's a way to use surprise attacks, or ways to distract the enemy with ki moves, especially if you enlarge the sprite blow-up animation (but not the actual damage radius).

Also, if someone interferes with the fight, it's easier to track where they go so you can locate them, instead of looking at a million dots.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom