Mega Man 9

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I believe MM9 is now out for both the Wii and the PS3 (with an XBLA version coming either at the end of the week or early next week). I've been working slowly, but steadily at the game since it was released as WiiWare on Monday (trying to preserve my sanity and NOT throw my Wiimote through the TV).

I must say this is an absolutely awesome idea; I realize that it is, in every way, a niche game, aimed solely at nostalgic gamers like myself, but, in my opinion, it's almost worth it for the challenge alone (setting aside the shameless fan-service for MM2 lovers). The process of just getting through each of the first eight stages was grueling; so much so that I had to spread it out over two evenings (again, trying to avoid the controller-throwing habits of my youth). Providing options such as introducing (or removing) the classic, NES-style sprite flicker were quite amusing to see, though having the game not run on an emulator (including the VC emulator) was a good idea, as I've never played a Mega Man game that's run so smoothly and seamlessly. I also appreciated having save files around instead of having to scrawl down the red- and blue-dotted password grids. Don't think for a moment, though, that it makes the game any more forgiving overall.

Putting aside the awesome fact that this is a complete, 8-bit Mega Man experience that was made in the middle of 2008, I think there's at least a good amount of minimal replay value in the form of achievements (particularly for all you speed-runners out there), and the promise of some DLC is interesting enough when applied to something so incredibly retro. Is charging $10 asking a lot for what the game is? Probably. However, if you were ever a Mega Man fan in its 8-bit glory days, I'd be quite certain that you'd find the whole experience worth the price tag. There's also the chance that, if Mega Man 9 is successful, there may be some other intriguing WiiWare/XBLA/PS Store titles that follow suit (Castlevania, anyone?).

It definitely gets the Maj Seal of Approval. You might want to avoid it if it will be your first foray into the classic Mega Man series, though; this one is, easily, the hardest Mega Man game I've played (and I thought nothing would beat Mega Man 1). We'll see how the difficulty holds over time :)

Is anyone else bordering on controller-chucking because of this gem of a throwback or will be picking it up in the foreseeable future?

Last edited:
Best answers
I've always been more of a megamanX fan, but since you say this is good. I'll give it a go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They need to put the megaman x collection on xbox live, and have achievements.

The Fireman stage... jesus christ....

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be interested in an X collection, as well, if I actually enjoyed the installments past X4; I also happen to own X1 - X4...

I have been wondering why I can't find the Mega Man Anniversary Collection that was released for the PS2 and the GCN a few years ago. It would have been the perfect side-dish for the meal that is MM9.

Perhaps success with MM9 may prompt Capcom to commission the creation of a similar, standalone X installment in its traditional, 16-Bit style o_O

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Anyone remember this in Megaman X, first time I got it I was like WHAT, LOL, awsome :cool:

I loved the Megaman series, I think I may just a have to try them out agian :)

Possibly a spoiler if you havent played it. If you have played it, maybe something to look for when you play it again.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yr3unpTjl64&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yr3unpTjl64&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and this is in Megaman X2
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7a0q8RFA98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R7a0q8RFA98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Still trying to figure out if I want to get this on the 360 or the Wii.

Either way, I'm definitely getting this once I get some points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom