Medal of Honor PC Multiplayer Open Beta

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.medalofhonor.com/

I think it's better than Modern Warfare both in single and in multiplayer, but I'll let you guys figure that out for yourselves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking forward to playing as the Tali- I mean, "Opposing Forces".

Not really though, but I just think EA was weak for the 11th hour name change. Spineless bastards.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking forward to playing as the Tali- I mean, "Opposing Forces".

Not really though, but I just think EA was weak for the 11th hour name change. Spineless bastards.

Well you gotta see that someone will sue just for using names so easily like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which is why a litigation culture sucks. What happened to freedom of speech?

Here's EA saying they won't buckle under pressure; http://kotaku.com/5620426/ea-standing-up-to-medal-of-honor-pressure

EA Games president Frank Gibeau tells website Develop that Medal of Honor will not be altered due to the outcry of politicians or the media. Soldiers have opinions for and against the title.

The upcoming Medal of Honor features multiplayer that allows gamers to play as Taliban fighters. The game is set in Afghanistan.

"There's a lot of furore around games that take creative risks – like games that let you play terrorists in airports mowing down civilians," Gibeau told Develop, referencing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

"At EA we passionately believe games are an artform, and I don't know why films and books set in Afghanistan don't get flack, yet [games] do. Whether it's Red Badge Of Courage or The Hurt Locker, the media of its time can be a platform for the people who wish to tell their stories. Games are becoming that platform."
Here's EA defending the name change; http://kotaku.com/5653154/medal-of-...liban-renaming-addresses-free-speech-concerns

"The reason we're posting the multiplayer demo next week is so people can judge for themselves," EA spokesman Jeff Brown told Kotaku. "Does changing one word in the menu screen have any impact on the actual play of the game that takes place in Afghanistan? If they think we shouldn't have done that, I urge them to play it."
Might as well not have called them the Taliban to begin with, then. I'm sure it'll be a competent game but what really bothers me is such a big developer buckling under the pressure of some oversensitive people. All they did now is change the name "Taliban" to "Opposing Forces". That's all. Not a single piece of content has been changed. I cannot understand why people would be so upset over just the name.

But maybe it's just me.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Usually there are differences between the people from marketing/legal and those from production. We, the devs, strive to make something awesome then the people at marketing go around changing words and names, just because THEY think it will sell more. It's a true story... It happened on the last project I was on, where marketing made us change/remove all the 'swear' words from our mission texts and cutscenes. Why? Because they wanted to sell a mobile strategy game to people under 16 years old. (the same people who changed the name 'Active Pause' to 'Commandant Mode')
To give a better example, in this year's MOH, in the first scene of the game you'll hear this dialog:
"- It's better than Preacher's rap" (after the main character is told to turn off some afgan music)
Well, originally it was: "-It's better than Preacher's Coldplay"
Marketing strikes again.

So, the next time someone makes claims about a game, be sure that they will most likely change until the release. As for the MOH case, the guys upstairs just didn't want to risk selling less because of some offensive words.
Note that the gameplay remains as offensive as it should be. Heck, the characters refer to the talibans and chechens as 'bad guys', like all the time. Also there are parts where you can see your team mates doing acts of violence that aren't necessary and such.

For the TLDR people: If a game promises much and doesn't deliver, blame the people at marketing, not the developers. :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, EA is not the developer, it's the publisher. They basically pull the strings. If they want the name changed, it will be changed.

But that's why it's such a shame in my eyes. For the first time in a long time I rooted for EA. I got excited when they refused to change the name. Finally saw some backbone in them. And then.. they changed it anyway. And the change is meaningless. Like you said, the gameplay hasn't changed. For everyone who's excited for this game and have been following it, this move is completely meaningless and only reinforces the image of the popular media controlling publishers and developers.

I'm not sure how to best describe what I'm feeling. It's the exact same game it's always been, except the "Taliban" is now called "Opposing Forces". Does that really satisfy all the naysayers? Will it now get sold at military bases in Afghanistan? After all, you're not playing as the Taliban anymore. I could paint myself purple and change my name to Barney but that doesn't change who I am or what I stand for. These "Opposing Forces" look exactly like the Taliban, they use the same weapons, they live in the same mountains, and they use the same tactics and weapons. See what I mean?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do non-steam users still play with poeple running through steam? I canceled my steam download of this when it was going 30kb/sec. and the one i downloaded doesnt take steam to launch it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Military bases will still not sell Medal of Honor despite changes.

Despite Electronic Arts' decision to remove the playable Taliban in upcoming shooter Medal of Honor, the Army and Air Force base stores around the world will still not sell the game.

The Army & Air Force Exchange Service's position concerning stocking the newest Medal of Honor video game remains unchanged as its facilities have no plans to carry the title, Judd Anstey, Army & Air Force Exchange Service Public Affairs spokesman told Kotaku today.

"Out of respect to those touched by the ongoing, real-life events presented as a game, Exchanges will not be carrying this product," the Army & Air Force Exchange Service's Commander Maj. Gen. Bruce Casella told Kotaku. "While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, our position is consistent with the direction stated a month ago. I expect the military families who are authorized to shop the Exchange are aware, and understanding, of the decision not to carry this particular offering."
http://kotaku.com/5656459/military-bases-will-still-not-sell-medal-of-honor-despite-changes

I lolled. EA gave in and it got them... absolutely nothing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They need to fix the recoil in this game. It's absolutely horrible considering how many people spawn camp.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MW2 with slightly more teamwork. Still ridiculously fast paced, still pretty much an arcade shooter.

Edit: Already filled with hackers.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same thing happens to every game. Fills with hackers easily.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think so, Raven. It's highely unlikely the actual servers are hosted through Steam only. But couldn't you add the game to Steam, regardless if it was installed via different means? I remember adding older games to my Library.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Played it some more. Meh. I tried to like it, but it kinda sucks.

• People somehow still manage to kill you after you dump a full mag of 7.62 into their face.
  • 1-2 blatant wallhackers in just about every server I've played in.
  • No communication or coordination whatsoever. I blame the lack of voice chat (or if there is voice chat, I didn't see it anywhere and nobody was using it).
  • Can't lean around corners. Instead you have to expose your whole body (which is suddenly and immediately destroyed upon the slightest reveal).
  • Player clipping is faulty at best. Yes, realistically you wouldn't be able to move through other players. Nothing about this game is realistic, so let me get through the cave wall this jackass is deliberately blocking to grief people.
  • Lag cause by player clipping. Touch another player and you'll skip a bit, pretty annoying.
  • Spawning is faulty at best. You can spawn right into the crosshairs of a sniper sitting cozy at high ground all the way across the map. At best, you'll spawn just out of sight and still have to run across open ground to better cover. Pretty lame.
  • EA's servers are ****. The master server seems to go down once every three or so times I try to join a server.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

As seen on Kotaku. I laughed hard.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HAR HAR HAR, Aww man that cracked me up bad.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard you logged out when you weren't logged in, so we logged you in so you can log out when you're logged in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom