MechMod effects

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
While I was playing MechMod one day, I started wondering :rolleyes: , since most of the MM team is the ESF team, will you guys (team members) input some of the effects, like the water and glowing effect. Also, will we see a return of the swoop dust trails in 1.3? Without it, ESF loses some of its DBZ feel found in 1.1.

Please bring it back :( .

PLEASE :cry: !!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The effects are possible to be brought in, but the dust trails have been removed for a reason. PcJoe made that clear tho me via Vampire as a miedator.

Unless the dust triails were completely removed they caused lag either if they were on or off. (Allthough I really didn't notice it)

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
The effects are possible to be brought in, but the dust trails have been removed for a reason. PcJoe made that clear tho me via Vampire as a miedator.

Unless the dust triails were completely removed they caused lag either if they were on or off. (Allthough I really didn't notice it)
I know why they removed it but still, though esf is mostly gameplay they should have alot of high quality graphics also. Like DOD, MM and CS for instance- they have alot of special effects like explosions. It may cause lag but if they fix it so that it does not slow the game down when it is off, they should put it back in. Also I didn't notice the lag either o_O .

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I talked to PCJoe once about the glowing and he told me that it would not be in esf as your fps takes quite a hit when it is on. As for the water, I really do not like it the way MM has put it into the game and they could have done a better job with it. The water is also another effect that was not made for the hl engine and thus will cause lag because the engine struggles to do it, its like towing a 2 ton trailer with a pinto...

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not to mention with the complexity of ESF Maps in terms of relatively large amounts of polys in open areas, it'd kill FPS even on better cards since the engine simply wasn't designed for that.

-Karrde-

Best answers
Is it to possible to make those effects options that can be turned on/off? If so, then those with adequete specs can enjoy those effects. Future proofing too eh? ;)

Best answers
I dont want those 'effects' if you talk about 'Source' then read on...
I hate HL2 !!! it need a f***ed up super computer to play...
Thats why i like ESF, they stick to the good old hl :) something we all know what is :D tHe bEsT !! :D HL1 owns all games : p
more people will play hl1 then hl2, i think.. but after 10 year hl1 is dead i think to... more games better computers... if hl2 still live ti that time xD
i love ESF because they dont go to 'source'
i have GeForce 2 so i like the old hl1 : p i can play source but i hate it...
"HL Source Video graphic = BattleField 1942 Video graphic" it much the same :S
Stay to the good old hl1 thats my pray:)

Best answers
MM redefines your PC Video spec for HL by adding one or two new effects. No thanks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why not just make this a video option instead of assuming its always on and it can be off by default

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because it effects fps too much to be worth while implimenting

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. The graphics in mechmod are just to much. They ruin the gameplay and some effects force half of the people that play the game to run d3d (since there game crashes on open gl). Not to mention the person who coded in the effects isn't on the esf team.

Best answers
Also hate to rub this in your face.. but MM WAS A WARMUP FOR HL2. Stop thinking it was solely designed for HL1, because it was not. It was a warmup for HL2, and for the HL1 engine, it's simply remarkable. As for your FPS dropping by big clumps, Drop that old P3 800 mhz machine and get a new one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Karot said:
Also hate to rub this in your face.. but MM WAS A WARMUP FOR HL2. Stop thinking it was solely designed for HL1, because it was not. It was a warmup for HL2, and for the HL1 engine, it's simply remarkable. As for your FPS dropping by big clumps, Drop that old P3 800 mhz machine and get a new one.
no the hl1 engine is simply not designed for that kind of graphics and it has problems doing it

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Karot said:
Of course, because everyone can afford a brand new pc with their magical money trees! -_-

anyways, I can't handle MM in OGL, I have to use D3D.. if ESF did that, then ...blargh that would suck >_< I've got a puny geforce 4 mx 440. Don't have the money for a ebtter video card at the moment..working on it. :D

Best answers
wooo go mx 440 lol yeah i got that also its not all that bad for ESF HL or DoD you can hit 100 fps easily...look at it this way alteast u can tun it in open GL and not have to use a pos standard vid card provided by company....as per the topic

i like the effects but fps = drained lol ESF is good the way it is (thank who ever is doing the new aura cause that will be better then any effects :D)

Also hate to rub this in your face.. but MM WAS A WARMUP FOR HL2. Stop thinking it was solely designed for HL1, because it was not.
who said it was soley for HL1 no one said that; he was just talking about the effects it has and how it would be cool to use it is it that wrong to ask?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Karot said:
I get 120 constant fps in esf. In mechmod, I get 10 - 21. The hl engine can't handle the things mechmod does, its not peoples computers.

Best answers
i dont even like mechmods gameplay. A Game to me is not its graphics it is its gameplay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJ Shin Carl said:
i dont even like mechmods gameplay. A Game to me is not its graphics it is its gameplay.
quote bold lime underline and italiced for cold hard truth

but this isnt about if mm was good or bad its about the graphics

and yeah the hl CAN do graphics like that but it isnt designed at all to do it and it has alot of problems doing it

the exact same way netcode can be better in some games and worse in other is the same with base engine code there are something thats even hl cannot do well and newer style graphics like the shaders and the like just dont work well

Best answers
Hybrid said:
No. The graphics in mechmod are just to much. They ruin the gameplay and some effects force half of the people that play the game to run d3d (since there game crashes on open gl). Not to mention the person who coded in the effects isn't on the esf team.
I was able to play it in opengl, by turning off the water effects, I still had all the other glow effects. The game actually played smoothly and I'm runnin a generic Intel video card that came with my computer. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was with the effects, but the Mech Mod team said they were coming out with a fix for it soon. But you have to admit, that Mech Mod isn't that bad, when people start to warm up to it, they could have others help fix the programming code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom