Best answers
I've notice that all half-life stuff models etc contain .mdl

My files are all .max and I don't have a .mdl

do you know where I could download something that will let me import/export .mdl files?

Thanks

ZuL

Best answers
Hrm, if you had the bought 3dsm you could have used the SDK... :)

ZuL

Best answers
Well I got the cd as a gift... I still have it... but I don't understand what the heck your talking about! clue me in

Best answers
Rza to compile to a MDL you need to have a SMD Reference Files and all the Animations as well and a .qc file (correct me here if Im wrong I haven't done it in along time) There is not such thing as a plugin to export as .mdl you can get one to export as smd though which kinda help.

Its a pretty big process to actually get a Half Life model into Half Life.

ZuL I think your talking about the HL SDK that has the SMD export plugin cos why would have Max have a SDK for Half Life stuff?

ZuL

Best answers
Nope i was talking about MAX SDK...

ZuL

Best answers
Umm ZuL why would Kintex include tools in their SDK for compling a Half Life model when Valve had to make their own tools to do it?

ZuL

Best answers
I dunno... :) maybe MAX didnt include anything to compile to .mdl when half-life was made... it was at least 4 years ago half-life was made... but im pretty sure MAX SDK can export to a file wich the .qc file can compile to .mdl...

ZuL

Best answers
All too confusing for me...

I just want to make a model and skin it then see it on a game! Ahhhh! lol

Best answers
ok... to get the model into max, you gotta get milkshape... then go to Tools>Half-Life>Decompile Normal HL Model

then go to File>Import>Half Life SMD.
then go to the folder that the model was in and select the reference smd, which is usually called the name of the model such as frieza.smd.
then go to File>Export>AutoDesk 3ds
then open up 3ds max the go to File>Import> then import the file u exported from Milkshape.
then do what u want with it and reassign joints (if needed)
then take all the files that were in the model folder (all the smds, and the qc files) and drag them to a folder. then go to the Half Life SDK, and go to Model Tools or something like that, then find something called compiler or something.
Then take all the files in that folder and drag them over the compile all at once. Then a .mdl file should appear.

Enjoi

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats why i use milkshape nice and easy to use :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom