Max Payne the movie

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saw it tonight. Totally sweet! Don't expect an exact recreation of the full game storyline though. Mostly it deals with Lupino until later on. Turns out the Valkyries are just halucinations of people who took the drug, which oddly is colored blue in the series.

(spoilers)

A couple jarring differences you'll notice...Jim Bravura, that gruff voiced pale white fedora wearing four-eyed red-head is for some strange damn reason a younger black guy. Also, there's little to no mafia in here, more dealing with Valkyr and people having gone cultish on Nordic beliefs. The movie takes place as more than one night, and nobody is chasing Payne until much later. A guy called "BB" takes the place of Nicole Horne as the film's ultimate antagonist, though Horne is seen several times in the film, and is obviously in on it. The worst thing though, is that while the film ends on the Aesir rooftop like in the game, you can forget about the glorious crushed and exploding helicopter that gets crushed under the falling radio tower, because the chopper (while needed by the fleeing BB) never touches down or even comes close.

But obviously I liked the movie, so these things, while surprising and docking a point or two, don't bother me too much. The core drive of the story survived and I really was amazed at how good sets for iconic places in the game were recreated. We get to see Roscoe Street Station, The Ragnarok and much of the well recreated Aesir building. The feel of the game is well imbued throughout the film, and while bullet time only makes a couple short appearances, the movie holds it's own for badassery, including one moment were in pitch black, Max's eyes are seen intermitently through the muzzle flash of his machine gun (which is mowing down a group of Aesir security guards) with a wild and crazed look that for me made the whole fim.

Basically, if you keep an open mind about it, you'll love it, despite the few flaws that I think should have been corrected.

Anyone else see it?

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will, it's out in a month in the UK. Max Payne was a great game but the reviews seem a bit iffy. I'll have to see for myself.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just outta curiosity do we get to hear the the mian max payne themes?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuReVCFOY0[/ame]

Well, I can't find the other piece I'm thinking of, but it's usually used as an interlude in both games.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well they make a movie about a man with nothing to lose basically killing everyone related to the death of his wife in a new york minute, dull. I don't know if I want to see this one.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
3D Realms wasn't too pleased (spoilers):

20th Century Fox said over the weekend that revenues from the new Mark Wahlberg-starring game-movie Max Payne hit $18 million in North America, topping the box office.

Reviews have been roundly terrible, however. Even Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms, the producer behind the Max Payne games, found the flick straying significantly from its source material.

"There are several fundamental story flaws ... in the film that have me shaking my head in bewilderment," Miller told Edge.

For instance, he said that one of Max Payne's enemies, the drug distributor Jack Lupino, is "lamely killed by one of the film's non-action characters."

In the first game, Max Payne finishes off Lupino.

Miller elaborated, "...The entire time we're told that this drug makes 1-in-100 people super-human, yet Lupino doesn't demonstrate this in the least. It should have taken a hail storm of bullets to bring him down, plus it should have been Max that kills him."

Miller, whose company is best known for Duke Nukem, also took issue with the portrayal of the character B.B. Hensley, a colleague of Max Payne who ends up betraying the titular character. He also thought the character of Max Payne himself fell short of the game series' standards.

Miller also disagreed with the direction of the movie's narrative. In the game, players know that Max Payne seeks revenge on the drug circle that murdered his family. But moviegoers wouldn't know this critical point until well into the film.

Miller said, "A big problem with the film is that we do not really know what is driving Max until we see the flashback scene showing him coming home and finding his family murdered. In the game, we put this scene right at the front of the story for a reason!

"Saving this scene until mid-film is a narrative blunder, because the audience needs to empathize with Max in order to like him and understand what drives him."

Miller added he "could go on and on" about problems he had with the movie, which was directed by John Moore.

A film adaptation of Duke Nukem is also reportedly in the works.
Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/3d-realms-bewildered-max-payne-flick

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMFG, just Hail to the King and let the Duke do his business. Seriously, Duke Nukem in a cinema near you?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, Duke the movie? All you'd need would be ass kicking, strip clubs and a bunch of cheap one liners :p

Best answers
That's odd... i thought the movie sucked hardcore. I couldn't stay into it for no longer than five minutes.

Ofcousre... thats probably my fault considering i seen it while i was all hopped up on some drugs from the doctors lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom