Max Payne Movie?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, the comic book-ness and the gritty filters are a big part of the whole experience
I guess that's where the disconnect is. I cared more about Payne's internal dialogue than the pictures. The game could have been a book and I'd still have enjoyed it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nixanthros said:
Uh...the story is what made Max Payne what it is, not photographs made to look like drawings/paintings. I'm speaking strictly about the film's aesthetic.
It was more about how it was portrayed than how it was told. Hence, "film noir". It's all in how you portray the film (er, game?).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
........ so you're saying that a major aspect of the game's visual design should be just cut off?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
........ so you're saying that a major aspect of the game's design should be just cut off?
I'm saying it doesn't have to look like a comic book because the term "film noir" is used to describe a specific kind of genre .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir

I'm also saying I'm more interested in the writing than in the way it looks. If others didn't feel the same, they would have gotten uwe boll to write the film.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't mean a comic as in"HAHA" i mean comic as in books >_>
Mhmm.

Like I said, it's unnecessary to emulate a comic book when it's already a separate genre in film.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now I get what you mean, though i really think that they will use the Sin City approach.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If they go that route, count me out. It already looks like it's failing in The Spirit.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wikipedia said:
The game's stylish cinematography and choreography is combined with heavy film noir, pulp noir, and pulp fiction influences in characters and dialogue. Rather than employing rendered or digitized cinematic movies for cutscenes, the story is told instead with "graphic novels" and narrated in the heavy-handed style of radio detective dramas such as Pat Novak for Hire. The games are dark and noir-style, following Max Payne, a troubled cop with internal and external conflicts in a dark, sinister New York City.
I think that sums it up basically.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that sums it up basically.
That's describing the game. We're talking about the transition to film. The audio is really the only part of the game that stuck with me. The one picture I remember from either game was in one of the loading screens.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The film is an adaptation of the game, so I'm hopefully mostly describing the film. Granted, comic-esque sequences would be better for the film than those of the game, but still something along those lines is needed to please the fans.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game intended to emulate that particular film genre, which is why it clearly states it is a film noir. Why would you emulate an emulation? Just go to the source material, or in this case, the source of the artistic direction of the game. The film will then meet your criteria without making it look like a Sin City ripoff.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The film is still based on a video game, so some adaptation is still needed, especially to please the fans. It's not just a film noir. Go talk to good old Uwe if you want otherwise.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said way back in the thread, it's the story that made Max Payne what it was. The bullet time certainly didn't hurt either and neither did the sheer number of mods. The artistic direction didn't phase me at all. I wasn't there saying, "Whoa, this is beautiful." No, I was listening to Max's internal dialogue, I was paying attention to the story and to the characters. That's where the meat, potatoes, gravy, wine, whores and everything else is.

You're speaking as if I'm not a fan of the game. I absolutely am, and I'm saying if they chose to make the film as a typical crime drama/thriller type thing without all the pretty, I wouldn't mind in the least as long as the writing is still there.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would mind if they decided to portray it differently is what I'm saying. The writing was fantastic, but the way in which it was portrayed was even more so. If they lose that, I'm not going to enjoy the movie as much as I otherwise would. I'd probably still like it to some extent, but nowhere near as much as I would if they'd stayed true to the game in every sense.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The film is going to be a film noir. They're going to adhere to the aesthetic rules of a film noir. If you don't enjoy the movie, despite it's adherence to the source material, because it looks different from the 3-6 panel storyboards you'd see every so often, then I have to question how much of a fan you actually are. I may even have to revoke your fan license and stamp your hand.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Part of why they could use the graphic novel based cut scenes was hugely due to excellent writing. It focused less on that visual aspect of it because the audio and writing were that good.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Part of why they could use the graphic novel based cut scenes was hugely due to excellent writing. It focused less on that visual aspect of it because the audio and writing were that good.
I still remember the baby crying from the first one. Haunting, to say the least.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't say they should copy it exactly, I said earlier that something comic-esque would be great. Obviously they could bring the comic panels into the film, that would be kind of ***. But something along those lines would be great.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you don't enjoy the movie, despite it's adherence to the source material, because it looks like the 3-6 panel storyboards you'd see every so often, then I have to question how much of a fan you actually are. I may even have to revoke your fan license and stamp your hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom