Max Payne 2: The Fall Of The Last Thread

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just looked on a site and now it turns out england get it late, that sucks, I will have in in a week or 2 it seems.. ahh well, to those who allready have it, tell us what you think, but please please please DONT POST STORYLINE SPOILERS

And dont get this thread closed too.. geez :\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't beleive somoene got my Max Payne 2 thread closed.. Bastages. Anyways, i just got done beating it on the first difficulty... and it was amazing. Great story like the last one... I'm not going to spoil anything but anyone who hasn't played it yet.. you're missing out.

Best answers
Yes mp2 looks bad-ass with some high grafix i heard there were ganna be new guns and u also have a sidekick now so iam ganna go buy dis today ^^

Best answers
Just beat it.

All I can say, is its an excellant game, 10/10.
Storyline is EXCELLANT, like that last one, they should REALLY make this into a movie.

In this game you actually DON'T play as Max in some parts, for which I was suprised, great game nonetheless. Sniping has never been so fun.

The life-like animations make this game ten times better than the original. Animations are even better than that of UT2003, the bodies adapt to their environment and what they fall on, etc.

GREAT GAME, to say the least. Only thing I didn't like was the fact that I beat it in under 5 hours. Hopefully there will be more storyline unlocked after I finish 'Dead on Arrival'.

I pray that good mods will be released for this too, like the ones on he last MP.

Best answers
I'm with Tassadar 10\10!The game is great ,great story line and graficks...
I'm hoping too that after i finish "Dead on Arrival" i get to play some new levels...It will be great if "RockStar Games" will make Max Payne 3!!!!

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll tell you how it should end.

Max Payne falls of a building right, then Snake flies in and eats everyone then max gets put into a ninja suit. Then he cmes back and you fight him with max payne 2. Got it?

Anywho on topic, So how are the physics and graphics in this game? I may pick up the ps2 version whenever

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have the graphics set to medium, and my pc isnt much of a gamer, and it runs it near perfect unless i got a room full of about 5 people shooting at once, but even then it doesnt slow down enough to be not playable,
(+ this game is designed for agp cards, which i lack).

also i havent restarted my computer for about 2 days, and it ran it that good, im loving how well it runs on my pc, considering its reccomendations are over that of UTK3 and my pc ran that like crap,

i never played the first max payne so the storyline itself doesnt make much sense to me YET, but this game does enough backstepping to fill you in, im loving the bullet time, and dodging and stuff, and for some reason you can play as a naked woman with a code, (for which they left no details out, FULL detail, that surprised the **** outta me)

whether your a fan of polygonal boobies or slowmo and bullets this game is badass.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reply to post above: Theres a point in the game where you see Mona (that woman) in the shower (Not totally..) so you use the console too swap models around to play as the model.

Peronsally I pitty the people that do.

For people who are interested, Im going to bleet on about MP2 for an hour or so.

The Main Screen

It all starts here, after the 4 hour long loading screen (better get used to them) you can watch a short comic with the MP1 storyline on it, handy for the 1 in a million peopel who did not play it. Now lets just click on New game..

Modes Of Play

You only have one too start with, I dont recall the name but its something like "My cat could beat this game ;/ " Once you have done the easyest mode, you can play on all the other settings, and you also open up a bonus game called dead man walking, if you ask me its the best thing in the game, so I will go on about it abit.

Dead man walking is basicly like a deathmatch game with bots, too put it simplely, you choose your level (one of the normall levels but with bits cut off) then your up for a hard fight, a real hard fight, there are spawrn points all over the maps that throw out endless mobs for you to fight, its impossable to win, so kill as much as you can till you die, then you get a time record for you too beat. Pretty fun.

1st Step into darkness

When you start the game your treated too a cokmic book style intro (allways hated em) and then the normall flashback of max payne being messed up in the head, like MP1, most of 2 is set in a flashback, a short level that lets you figer out how too move your charater (Theres no guide, but the "how to play" is on the main screen, a simple picture with key commands on them, very disapointing) then your on with the 1st level.

The 1st level is a pretty standerd one, your working with the NYPD now and your sent to a warehouse thats been reported too have been attacked and hostages taken, sure enough you bust your way in and start fireing your guns six ways from sunday till the only thing left in the room is you and one shell shocked mouse.

By now you should have down what MP2 is all about, shoot or be shot, every level. Theres only level that you do something differnct, when you play as a girl called Mona and need to protect Max with your trusty sniper rife from a-top high.

edit: Forgot, theres also anouther one when you protect someone, total of 2.

Is This Bullet Time?

Bullet time has changed slightly from the 1st game, diveing in bullet time now costs no "BT bar" but as its about as usefull as chewing on a hacksaw, it does not much matter, the real fun is the right-click bullet time, this is more like the matrix, as in everyone slows down, but you only do very slightly, meaning you can run around those annoying shotgun shells and uzi someone in the back, Its a nice feature but the screen goes quite dark and has a yellow tint too it, nope its not my video card that does it, its the "pretty gfx" more like annoying...

Weapon of Choice

Total new guns: 2
Total number of them that just replaced old ones that where took out: 2 ;/

The weapons in MP2 are not good, in my opinion, alot of the old ones are there, the uzis, pistols, shottys and sniper rife, but the Colt is now been replaced by its little brother (MP5 of something) Personally I hate its guts for replaceing my fav gun. Sniper rife also now has a little brother, which is basicly the sniper rife but faster and weaker.

.... You can also duel with the Des Eagles, correct me if im wrong.. which im not, but someone as strong as max could not use them without snaping his arm, but since when is this ment to be realistic, this can go on the nit-picking pile.

Storyline.. plot, or whatever

Well, I dont care much for the story, it IS a very good story but I never liked the style of it, as with MP1, so I wont go into it.

"Look at me, Im havoc"

As you should all know, MP2 uses the havoc engine, I say "uses" losely, as its more like it was rushed in at the last second to sell the game, as NO point in the game makes use of it, sure you can shoot that ladder to make it fall over, nade the planks of metal to watch them fly around the room, but its just "prettys"

Ragdolls are nice, there also just "prettys" but as you spend ALOT of the time makeing bodys fly around the place, its a nice pretty.. and done very well, not as well as if they moded the havoc engine like Valve are doing with hl2, but nice none the less, very little cliping... but they is some.

The real "Pretty" Factor

One thing that makes MP2 enjoyable is the looks, I wont go into it much, as you are all able to look at screenshots or videos, but ingame it looks perfect, im running on a radeon 9600 for reference, and I can easyly get it too "Game-selling screenshot" standerd.

All in All...

All in all its a pretty good game, its very short but dead man walking is fun to play over and over, disapointing puzzles (as in there are NONE) and the use of havoc is eye-candy only, the storyline is good and the shoot outs are most likely the closest your going to get too playing a good matrix game (includeing ETM) I would recormend this game... just not at the price it costs, as I think it was not worth it, that is untill someone makes a Kung fu mod, thats what kept me going on MP1 anyhow.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd have to agree with you that every level is the same (shoot or be shot). allthough what do you expect from a third person shooter. That's what third person shooters are( or any shooter for that matter). What makes this game so great is the plot, and the graphics, which run very well on lower end Pc's. All around a good game, only problem I had with it, was that it was too short, the first one took me a bit longer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To insult this game, visually or otherwise, is a pathetic result of complete and utter idiocy. Easily one of the best games that I've ever played.

What the bloody hell do you people want from a ****ing game nowadays anyway?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
To insult this game, visually or otherwise, is a pathetic result of complete and utter idiocy. Easily one of the best games that I've ever played.

What the bloody hell do you people want from a ****ing game nowadays anyway?
;/ Thats your opinion on the game, not mine, I could say its a "result of complete and utter idiocy" but guess what, unlike you I dont mind people haveing other opinions on something. So kindly get out of the thread before you start up crap.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its like people now adays cant just play a game they have to have some deep spirtual awakening or eyes explode from the absolute greatness of the fx

i mean come on its max payne u run around and kill people with a fun storyline just sit back and enjoy it

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i just beat the game, and honestly was expecting somethin a bit more from the ending, i wont reveal anything, but the game was building up towards some huge dramatic battle at the end, and it wasnt very dramatic at all,

maybe having a song by evanessence or sumthin, (couldnt think of any chick rock bands, im not a fan of them) playing in the background, as it is somewhat of a love story a woman singing would fit better than lets say mich from slipknot,

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well at least Hibiki got my point.

It looks like freakin' Gamespy in this thread.

"Well, the game has a 'start' and an 'end,' and it's so lame, all you do is run around and fight enemies in differing locations. It's so blase`. I mean, you go from 'level' to 'level', 'fighting' 'enemies.' How early nineties is that? It's so lame. You never seen any of the enemies behave realistically either--not ONE of them ever has to stop and go to the bathroom, or call their wives! And there are no children frolicking in the streets. The sun doesn't even come up in real time. The story is told by 'voice actors', a really old tedious method, unlike the newest and most innovative game Half-Life 3425, where Gordon experiences the whole story as the player controls him ingame (read: they were too lazy to script a cinematic)."

Sheesh. When you are done playing a damn game, you ask yourself the onyl question that frigging matters:

"Was that fun? Did I enjoy that?"

If you answer no, analyze it to hell. If you answer yes, analyze it to hell just the same. Learn WHY you liked it or didn't like it. Don't just complain about eye candy and gimmicky play or storytelling.

Just and example, but you know DAMN WELL if Half-Life 2 looked like Quake I you'd all be going "omg [insert more technologically sound game here] so ownzz HL."

Max Payne 2. Here's my review:

Is it fun? Yeah.

Was it cool? Yeah.

Good story? Yeah.

Hot chick? Yeah.

Good storytelling? Yeah (sorry, just because you don't like having to read or not having 6000000 polygons shoved up your rear end, doesn't mean that it's a bad way to tell a story).

Good graphics? Yeah.

Good gameplay? Some of the best.

Does that make sense to anyone else, or am I just some kind of an idiot who isn't up on the times?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your just some kind of idiot..

All I did was review the game basiced on what I think about it, you did not need to read it you ****head for gods sake.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
one thing.

reload during bullet time.
classic stuff
:yes:
this game gets a 10/10

i wish they left the ending more... open though, so there might be the possibility of a 3rd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there will be a 3rd, or at least a movie, at the end of the credits it says "Max paynes jounney will continue"

Best answers
It's a very decent game, too short though. Not much added from the first one either; tweaks to bullet time, some graphical improvements, a couple new weapons, not really anything special. This, like so many other "new" games today this should have been released as an expansion (Jedi Academy anyone?).

And for having a lack of multiplayer, they didn't build much replay value into it either; time trials, survival, whoopee. Alternate ending that is completely obvious and mere seconds longer. HOLD ME BACK. What they SHOULD have done is made the story completely playable from Mona's perspective. It has a strong enough story where writing that part in would be a piece of cake. It could even switch to Max on occasion, like you could play from his POV during the "cover me" area. Lots of possibilities, no really good reason why they aren't in there.

nuttzy said:
i just beat the game, and honestly was expecting somethin a bit more from the ending, i wont reveal anything, but the game was building up towards some huge dramatic battle at the end, and it wasnt very dramatic at all,
Yes. The last battle was easy easy easy.

nuttzy said:
maybe having a song by evanessence or sumthin, (couldnt think of any chick rock bands, im not a fan of them) playing in the background, as it is somewhat of a love story a woman singing would fit better than lets say mich from slipknot,
No. Nu metal needs to shrivel and die. SHRIVEL AND DIE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom