Martial Arts

Which Martial/Fighting Arts do you study?

• Aikido

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxing (including Thai or Kickboxing)

• Judo

• Ju Jitsu

• Karate

• Kendo/Wushu (weaponry)

• Ninjitsu

• Tae Kwon Do

• Tai Chi

• Other

• Total voters
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Yeah McDojos aren't always bad though, you have to watch out for Belt Mills. McDojos sometimes have good teachers and excellent resources. However, Belt Mills concentrate on collecting fees for belt tests and selling gear. They rarely concentrate on the student's development.
i think what you're referring too as beltmills and the mcdojo's i was talking about are the same thing, what kind of school is the mcdojo your talking about?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
think of the karate school from the karate kid movie, that seems like a mcdojo to me....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
McDojos are schools with alot of franchises, nothing less, nothing more.
That's what they are? Huh, the name is quite misleading...

Best answers
yah i always figured that they were more look belt factories, oh well guess its good to get the terms straight, because your right just because its a chain doesn't mean its bad.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
Funny you can't spell Tae Kwon Do then eh? ;)
I'm sorry for not spelling it right......So let me guess, it means i'm lieing cause I didn't spell it right.........Tell me, why would I lie about something like this, there is no point, I could really care a less if you believe me or not, but I have done both of them.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your Profile said:
Birthday:
October 29, 1991
Having two black belts is quite exceptional for a 13 year old.

In other news, I'm actually about to start looking into various dojos around my area and I'll scan some classes available at the local colleges. I've been improving my physical health for the last couple of months and I want to give myself an outlet with a focus on self discipline, with some self defense along the way. I really have just about no idea where to start.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pick up a book on tai chi =D sounds like thats all you really need mate.

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
Having two black belts is quite exceptional for a 13 year old.
It is isn't it, I started Karate at 8 and ended at 10, and I started Tae Kwon Do at 11 and ended it this year in April, well I was almost a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I was a brown belt, but close enough.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After about 3 years of attending Tae-Kwon-Do you were almost a Black Belt? It took me 8 years to be a rank just below Black Belt. You attended 2 years for Karate and reached Black Belt?

Something sounds wrong...

Best answers
im training to become a super sayian atm :laff:
....all jokes aside
i got to brown belt in Wado ryu Karate :) which is one from black , after black i think it went up to 5th dan or something

Best answers
my school only even tests once every 6 months, you can get up ranked before that if your doing exceptionally well but that doesn't happen all that often.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mcdbz5 said:
I started Tae Kwon Do at 11 and ended it this year in April, well I was almost a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I was a brown belt, but close enough.
Now I can officially call your bs. There is no brown belt in Tae Kwon Do.

International Tae Kwon Do Association
http://www.itatkd.com/promotegup.html

****, if you're going to make up ridiculous lies then at least do some research.

Best answers
Dude, I also have two friends who have done Tae Kwon Do and they also have Brown Belts, so it's not a "ridiculous lie," maybe it's something different for kids, and also why do you people care if I really did it? Hahahaha, I mean you didn't have to reply to my first post, you could have just read it and ignored it you know. And also to MC, it only takes about 3 years to get a black belt, everyone else that I know who has done it has gotten a black belt in 3-4 years :).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Now I can officially call your bs. There is no brown belt in Tae Kwon Do.

International Tae Kwon Do Association
http://www.itatkd.com/promotegup.html

****, if you're going to make up ridiculous lies then at least do some research.

ITA isn't the only governing body of Tae Kwon Do, in fact it used to be called the ITF, which is completely at odds with the World Tae Kwon Do Federation, or WTF. Further, there are many other governing bodies around the world, and I have seen schools in the ITF use brown instead of red for a belt. You can check wikipedia for more information on how there are no standard colors, only standard ranks. Even then, there are two sets of ranks set by the WTF (Kukkikwan) and ITF. I personally learned from a WTF/USTU school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tae_Kwon_Do

http://www.ustu.org/

Other TKD governing bodies: http://www.wtahq.com/, http://www.ataonline.com/about/organizations/wttu.asp.

And in fact it is possible to get your black belt in three years, possibly less. More often than not, rapid belt asention means that he is a victim of a belt mill.

The only reason why I mentioned that you didn't spell it right, MCDBZ was your obviously lacsidaisical respect for the art.

KyoKusanagi

K
When I did TKD here in Australia it went:

White, Orange (if you were younger than 10), Yellow, Blue, Red, Red with Black Stripe (for those who needed an intermediate step), then Black.

ITF based schools use the White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Black system whereas the WTF system (World Taekwondo Federation) uses White, Yellow, Gold, Orange, Green, Purple, Blue, Brown, Red and Black.

So it is possible that he did hold a brown belt.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
The only reason why I mentioned that you didn't spell it right, MCDBZ was your obviously lacsidaisical respect for the art.
Oh sorry about that, I thought you were calling me a liar or something, and I do have respect for all Martial Arts, I have always enjoyed them and respected them, and to Kusangi, your right, there is way's you can receive a brown belt, there can be different Tae Kwon Do places that hold there own belts.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KyoKusanagi said:
When I did TKD here in Australia it went:

White, Orange (if you were younger than 10), Yellow, Blue, Red, Red with Black Stripe (for those who needed an intermediate step), then Black.

ITF based schools use the White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Black system whereas the WTF system (World Taekwondo Federation) uses White, Yellow, Gold, Orange, Green, Purple, Blue, Brown, Red and Black.

So it is possible that he did hold a brown belt.

I was in the USTU's Pennsylvania President's school, which is a stepping stone to the Olympics as I was allowed into both the USTU state, and State Open. The WTF's belt rankings can change from school to school. At Song Bok Nam's Eagle Tae Kwon Do, the belt ranks were White, Yellow, Yellow with Green Stripe, Green, Green with Blue Stripe, Blue, Blue with Red Stripe, Red, Red with one black stripe, Red with two black stripes (Black belt assitant), 3 Jr. Blackblet Dans, 4 Blackbelts till Master, 4 Blackbelts to Grandmaster and 2 blackbelts at the top, with the 10th degree usually granted upon the death of a 9th degree in honor of his passing.

At Fire Mountain Tae Kwon Do, (whose teacher had also studied at Nam's) the ranks were almost the same with a possible yellow stripe between white and yellow, and only one Red Belt black stripe.

Keep in mind that the USTU schools answer to the Kukkikwan (WTF leadership).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom