Martial Arts

Which Martial/Fighting Arts do you study?

• Aikido

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxing (including Thai or Kickboxing)

• Judo

• Ju Jitsu

• Karate

• Kendo/Wushu (weaponry)

• Ninjitsu

• Tae Kwon Do

• Tai Chi

• Other

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So it's sort of similar to the armys CQC (Close-Quarters Combat)?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh my god, I'm sorry Mad Ax!, I didn't mean to edit your post! :eek:

Damn priveledges . . . I am really and truly sorry.

Cucumba
Retired but apparenlty still loaded forum administrator.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
So it's sort of similar to the armys CQC (Close-Quarters Combat)?
More or less. Originally it was developed by Grandmaster Imi Sde-or for the Israel Defense Force. And since its development it has been tweaked a bit to adapt to the needs of Civilians.

Best answers
I want to learn US and Israeli CQC. I don't know where to though. It makes me think of Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater. (That's not why I want to do it of course)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad AxMan said:
military CQC = dont try it if you expect not to get hurt/hurt someone else. its designed to be lethal, not just self defence.
I take great exception to this. Being proficient in several martial arts, and expert in a few, I can say with great certainty that ANY martial art is lethal once the practitioner learns to throw one good punch. All millitary CQC is, is a stripped down, value added material removed version of a martial art. I breifly studied SCARS (US Navy Seal CQC system, well, at least the first part.) with a freind on his insistance that it was the ultimate martial art. Granted, it is definately lethal, and it is more than adequate for what you use it for, but it is spiritually useless. It's a messy removal of art and sped up course with instructors who have no CONTROL. Can he punch at you and stop 1cm from your face? I'm sure he can. Does he? Obviously not. I could have, at ANY TIME, killed any one of my students when I was teaching, probably with embarrasingly little effort. The difference isnt' that CQC is more lethal, I simply don't have to teach the kid to suffer through combat. That being said, whatever you learn in your short stint of instruction will undoubtably be usefull, and most likely very deadly. Whatever took me 10 years or more to learn will be more refined, and I will have a MUCH deeper understanding than auto-kinematic responses.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
upon reflection of mine, and your statements, i would have to agree with you. it just SEEMS more lethal, probably because im actually feeling how painful the smallest techniques are. i am extremely grateful for everything ive learned in my previous arts, as they are actually helping me with this one, firstly they are giving me the patience not to break his arm, and secondly, the ability to actually deflect many of the holds and strikes he attempts.

but maybe my view was distorted slightly by the fact that Aikido is certainly not designed as a lethal art, whereas Karate, Kung Fu, and many other forms (in fact any that teach you to actually engage in an attack) will be.

thanks for your input cuc <3

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I accidentally edited his post when trying to quote it last night, there was actually quite a bit to his post that was irreversably lost.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I hate that, you hit the edit button that's too damn close to the quote button. Thanks for answering my questions!

Another question that's slightly on/off topic, what would you recommend a person looks for when choosing a dojo so they know it's one worth their time and money?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Talk to the sensei about the art and ask them about themselves. Ask why you should be attending his/her dojo. Also try to find out more information about your sensei and the school you might start attending.

If they are going to make you pay large sums of money then it is not worth it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tae Kwon Do =D

White belt... Have been to four practices. I suck. Good training though =/

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not all schools use a sensei . . . for instance in Tae Kwon Do you could have a black belt assistant, kyosa, kyosanim, sabum, sabumnim, or quang chang nim. But the point is still valid. Talk to the students, talk to the teachers or masters, and sit in on a class. Is it a belt mill, or is there serious study going on here?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im doing Kung Fu Training too.
Since the day i have watched that Cool Free Running Video.

But we get teached in loads of Arts.
KungFu, Karate, Weaponry,KickBoxing....and so.(pretty much all that are wrote above)
Its pretty cool.

Im still White Belt since i just started like 8 weeks ago or so.^^ :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no worries cuc, i think both our following posts got the message across anyway :)

and i dont like schools which are full of... (trying to think how to word this properly)... posers? where, yes there may be some skill, and im sure the teachers know what they are doing, but the place is really there for people who are "omg i did one belt now for the next... E-WANG GROWING UNCONTROLLABLYYYYY!!!" =X

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont particularly like schools where the teacher wants people to address him as "Master Whathisname". The supposed posers are usually there for up to 3 months and then they just quit. Its after those 3 months that it becomes obvious who is actually serious about perfecting their art.

Best answers
yah "mcdojos" as my friend calls them are really common these days. we had a blackbelt from a taekwando school come in recently that couldn't throw a side or a front kick, i'm a 2nd degree white belt and i knew more than him(and i'm only average for my belt).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah McDojos aren't always bad though, you have to watch out for Belt Mills. McDojos sometimes have good teachers and excellent resources. However, Belt Mills concentrate on collecting fees for belt tests and selling gear. They rarely concentrate on the student's development.

Best answers
I have become a black belt in both Karate and Tae Kwon Do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom