Martial Arts

Which Martial/Fighting Arts do you study?

• Aikido

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxing (including Thai or Kickboxing)

• Judo

• Ju Jitsu

• Karate

• Kendo/Wushu (weaponry)

• Ninjitsu

• Tae Kwon Do

• Tai Chi

• Other

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Self defence, confidence building and exercise. Plus i've met some cool people in the lessons.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
Just a little question to throw up in here...Why study martial arts?

I forget why my paretns signed me up for karate, but as for Tai Chi, I becamse very interested about the idea of chi and it's possibilties, so I try to learn how to help myself in any situation, be it fighting or warming up my feet.
You'll find a few parents will sign their kids up for it to teach them discipline, or at least that's what the sitcom families do.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I signed up to teach myself discipline. I was a very angry teenager, and I didn't like myself anymore. Therefore, I hyperfocused on that one thing to make me a better person, and succeeded beyond my wildest imaginings.

Any subsequent learning I did, I did for the sake of the arts, and to further my knowledge in them. I realized at some point that no one style was the answer, and that you had to learn many to cover all possible avenues of attack and defense. Where my leg ability had grown immensly, my hand techniques were severly lacking untill I took up Tiger Claw, which also gave me a suite of techniques for mid and close range that Tae Kwon Do lacked. Later studies in Hapkido, Judo, Jujitsu, Akido, and greco roman wrestling added some sorely needed grappling skills. Tai Chi was great for cultivating Chi, though I learned the bulk of it through Tae Kwon Do's bridgehands techniques.

Best answers
Ness said:
Lol robby, i got suspended in my first year at Secondary school for doing a tornado ddt on someone....the following year, i did sweet chin music on someone, i haven't watched wrestling since
Pwnt nub ;o

Nothing really else to say there

Best answers
There are too many reasons to do a martial art...descipline, work out, self defence...fun....and eduational

You learn a lot about a culture when you study a martial art, it becomes quite fun to learn how things came about and why the martial art was created

Best answers
wow what states do you guys live in, for all those self defense laws. i live in washington state and 2 men killed someone trying to steal their car, and they did get a sentence because you can't kill when protecting property but you are allowed to physically harm them. I assume you could do even more in self defense, i'm surprised your not actually allowed to kill in self defense. i wonder how you find out those kind of laws.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I took martial arts because I wanted to beat the **** out of everyone I saw. The deeper I got into martial arts, the more calm I became. Now, Im only overly aggressive in fights and in esf. Yeah, yeah, I know I was taught not to fight and look for ways out, but sometimes there is no way out. When I am forced into a fight I dont usually use any form of martial arts, because that would be really bad (for the both of us).

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
wow what states do you guys live in, for all those self defense laws. i live in washington state and 2 men killed someone trying to steal their car, and they did get a sentence because you can't kill when protecting property but you are allowed to physically harm them. I assume you could do even more in self defense, i'm surprised your not actually allowed to kill in self defense. i wonder how you find out those kind of laws.
I live in Florida and the law states that we (citizens of Florida) are allowed to use deadly force (hand to hand combat, weapons, etcetera) IF we have already attempted to retreat from someone who wishes to cause harm. The only exception to that is if you are at your home or in your work place by which you do not have to retreat to resort to deadly force. If you are attacked while you are at or in your car, you can not resort to deadly force unless you attempted to retreat.

I think there was another exception to the use of deadly force when a friend or someone else is in danger by which you do not have to retreat. If you look at your state’s or country’s website (assuming it has one) I am sure you will find something that states the self-defense laws. That is how I found out about the laws in Florida.

And in my High School self-defense is considered self-defense when you do not retaliate in attack. You are only allowed to block, grapple, subdue, push, or run away in order for it to be considered self-defense. If you retaliate in attack it is considered a fight meaning both or multiple parties are responsible for their actions.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm teaching myself Jeet Kune Do,

At the moment there is just no time to go to a school wich is teaching JKD, but I just saw on the net there IS one here close, or, at least not THAT far away.

If I ever get time I will sign up there for sure, I think its important to go to a training school if you ever have the time, if you have the time, DO IT! you can teach yourself martial arts, sure, (and it would be best to have someone with you to practice with, its more fun then doing allone and more effective), but I have a little problem with self-discipline. (and i'm sure more people have)

Like,

I just had dinner, and I'm going to my computer to see if I got any new messages, I'm allways very curious for that, and after that, I'm like "aahh I go training in 10 minutes, first I need to fix this project", so I start photoshop.

Then someone gets online on msn, and she/he wants to talk :p well, there we go, 2 hours passed and no training done.

Sheesh, my self discipline sucks, lmao.

Best answers
the only problem with self teaching is that if you do something wrong but its close enough that it looks right, you'll continually drive the wrong way into your head and it'll be very hard to unlearn. Also experience is an important part of learning martial arts, i can throw great kicks and punches in practice but when i'm sparring its much more difficult.

MC: that sounds abouit what i would expect from self defense laws, i might check out washingtons website(assuming we have one) and check it out, i don't wanna break the law protecting myself. of course hopefully i'll never have to.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
the only problem with self teaching is that if you do something wrong but its close enough that it looks right, you'll continually drive the wrong way into your head and it'll be very hard to unlearn. Also experience is an important part of learning martial arts, i can throw great kicks and punches in practice but when i'm sparring its much more difficult.
Yeah I know that, and that is why I want to go to a school that teaches you it in the good way.

I've done it wrong and I had to unlearn it, was difficult but I managed to, still, a school would be much better.

KyoKusanagi

K
I learnt martial arts for fitness, self defence and fun. Though i find it to be a great tool for teaching respect and discipline.

I'm also thinking of taking up a weapons based martial art like Escrima or Kali - i'd like to learn stick\knife and nunchaku\3 sectional staff fighting.

Best answers
martial arts definently helped teach me respect, i now refer to most teachers and authority figures as "sir" you kind get into that habit when you have to do pushups every time you forget.

I know how that whole unlearning thing goes, my school just switched from a more kenpo based teaching to total karate. While they are pretty similar the stances were different, it took me a long time to unlearn my old stance and relearn the square stance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll have to vote for TAE KWON DO even though that isn't what I studied.

HOWEVER, I studied something extremely similar to it, called TANG SOO DO.

I studied it for about...7-8 years and almost reached Black Belt but due to financial reasons my parents took me out.

RANKING

* White
* Yellow
* Orange
* Orange w/ 1 Green Stripe
* Green
* Green w/ 1 Red Stripe
* Red
* Red w/ 1 Blue Stripe
* Red w/ 2 Blue Stripes
* Red w/ 3 Blue Stripes
* Red w/ 4 Blue Stripes
* Black & Red (Poom) - Junior Black Belt, under the age of 16
* Midnight Blue or Black 1 stripe (1st Dan) - Assistant Instructor
* Midnight Blue or Black 2 stripes (2nd Dan) - Instructor
* Midnight Blue or Black 3 stripes (3rd Dan) - Senior Instructor
* Midnight Blue or Black w/Red Strip (4th Dan) - Master Instructor
* Midnight Blue or Black w/Red Strip (5th - 7th Dan) - Master
* Grandmaster (8th Dan - 9th Dan)

Best answers
i personally find myself to follow the philosophy of bruce lee...i dont study a certain style and limit myself to its techniques and movements..instead..i look at it..take the basics..and use what i can use..and forget the rest...only take the good..leave the bad/useless...ive found that limiting myself to a certain style keeps me limited in many ways such as expression and what personally feels right to me..because in the end..im learning to fight...and win..not to learn a certain amount of techniques and or movements..i train myself in speed..precision..and aim..aswell as endurance power..and strength..mostly power though...so yeah..

Best answers
I did Taekwondo in the ATA for about 2-3 years. I did pretty well considering when I recieved my 5th belt I already had won regionals in sparring and forms numerous times. I miss that stuff. I wish I didn't move farther away from my school or I'd still go. The competetions were in Albany OR, Tacoma WA, Albany OR, Seattle WA, and Seattle WA. Placed first in everything.

Best answers
I've been to quite a large spread of schools...
Shotokan
Kempo
and now jujitsu

however i do know a bit of kungfu, and aikido ... my dad is a superb martial artist

Best answers
i used to go to this place called Dashikan vietnamese shalion kung fu. there they teach u kung fu and judo. i wish i was like my cuzes though cuz they took so many different arts.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm curious. I've heard a few mentions of a martial art style called like Prava Nag or Crav Naga or something like that. If I remember correctly, somebody said it was based in some middle eastern country. Anybody know anything about it?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is known as Krav Maga which is Israelian. It is taught to the Israelian military and it is a good art to learn. Krav Maga ranges from disarming an enemy of weapons to same ol' hand to hand combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom