Martial Arts

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which Martial Arts have you attended classes for? Learning a Martial Art from the internet doesn't count. If you attended boxing classes, then that works, post about it.

I used to attend Taekwondo classes a number of years ago for about 4-5 years prior to leaving. I was able to reach the rank below Black Belt 1st Degree Undecided, which we called Phase 2 Recommended Black Belt (It had a blue stripe running through the center of the belt), but unfortunately I quit before I could receive an evaluation for the rank of Black Belt 1st Degree Undecided by my senior instructors.

I had to quit since it was becoming a hassel to pay for classes and I badly injured my back. It was also becoming boring as there was no change in what we did, it was just all constant repetition. I guess the studio (dojo) I attended would be considered a McDojo, but it did help me in a number of areas.

Now I train myself and try to expand on what I know. If I ever get a chance, I would probably try to take up a number of other Martial Arts such as Krav Maga, Aikido, Kung Fu, and Muay Thai just to name a few.

Best answers
i do shorinryu karate, i've been doing it for about a year now. i'm currently a green belt(our school goes, white, white 1 stripe, 2 stripe, 3 stripe, green, 1 stripe, brown, 1 stripe, black). repitition is a good thing though, the more you do even basic moves you become stronger and faster.

Best answers
hmm...I did Shotokan for about 2 years and a half. I had a Blue belt 4 kyu (yes, just like the #9, Kyu) That's how the're ranked
shotokan belts go like:

yellow -8kyu
orange -7kyu
green -6kyu
blue -5kyu
blue 1 stripe -4kyu
brown -3kyu
brown 1 stripe-2kyu
brown 2 stripes-1kyu
black -the best, duh
After that you get "dan"'s

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9 years of Tae Kwon Do (knew enough for second degree blackbelt, did not have enough cash to take the test)

2 years of Hun Gar wushu (5 Animal Kung Fu, Tiger Claw)

I have also cross-trained with people in Hapkido, Akido, Judo, Jujitsu, Muy Thai, Isshin Ryu Karate, Tai Chi Quan, Shaolin Longfist and a few that I'm probably forgetting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a red belt in Tae Kwon Do.

The system is:

White belt, 2 stripes
Yellow belt, 2 stripes
Blue Belt, 2 stripes
Green Belt, 2 stripes
Red belt
Reb/black belt
Black belt.

I'm fairly close :)

Some of you **MIGHT** know my instructor, he got deducted into the Martial Art's Hall of Fame

His name is Robin Taberna, here's a pic.

He travels all around the United States, and he goes for different styles.

@Cuc, with all that knowledge of Karate, have you ever used it in a street fight?

KyoKusanagi

K
Black Belt TKD
2 years of Muay Thai Kickboxing
4 years of Shootfighting and Submission Wrestling (Gracie Martial Arts Melbourne)
3 years of Pro Wrestling - I count it because it taught me alot of breakfalls, counters and reversal throws.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i actually think i was reading about that guy in a magazine kain.

i plan on learning something at some point in time. just because i dont have anything else to do

but i study a little capoeira, and 2 of my friends in des moine practice kugn fu, jeremy studies eagle claw king fu, i dont know what the other one does.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
@Cuc, with all that knowledge of Karate, have you ever used it in a street fight?
Yes, a beligerent drunk tried to run me off the road, then followed me to my job to start a fight. He pushed me once, I floored him with a spinning hook kick to the head right off the push. When he slept it off, he got in his car and drove off.

Which is good, I didn't feel like slapping him around twice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aikido - nearly 12 years on and off.
military based combat (evil evil evil evil evil) - 2 years

Best answers
Yes, a beligerent drunk tried to run me off the road, then followed me to my job to start a fight. He pushed me once, I floored him with a spinning hook kick to the head right off the push. When he slept it off, he got in his car and drove off.
haha nice, my sensei doesn't like the spinning hook kick. he says its because he threw it at someone, and there happened to be a large metal pole right behind him, and the guy moved to the side a little bit and my senseis foot slammed into the pole.

I've never ever been in a real fight, i've been kind of curious how i would fair since i started taking martial arts, hopefully i'll never find out, but i'm still wondering.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just use your head. and think. most people are stupid and cant fight regaurdless.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Tang Soo Do - 3 yrs

I went to green belt 3 stripes.. our system:

White 1/2/3
purple 1/2/3
green 1/2/3
red 1/2/3
black - you go for dans

Best answers
Judo - 15 years / Black Belt

Jujitsu - 15 / Black Belt

Wrestling - folkstyle 15 years / State Champion NY

freestyle - 12 years / State Champion NY

greco-roman - 5 years / Short arms never really competed just practiced

wing chun - approaching 5 years off and on

Okinawa karate - starting been a few months

I prefer non hostile attacks as compared to punches but i'm beginning to understand//like striking more with the learning of karate

Best answers
uh... self taught, ^_^
a little tai chi chuan,
freestyle kick boxing and some jujitsu but again self taught,
books and videos and practice no instructers, no cash :(

but i regularly spar with ppl from many different forms,

i took sholin wushu under dennis brown for abuot a month, but dropped it due to lack of funds
i do pretty well agianst a friend of mine whos taken karate for his entiere life , his father is an instructer, and my another friend whos been taking jujitsu for about 2 years now. but ASAP i want to get into a tai chi chuan class and ninjutsu and aikido but those are my second favs

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I stick to Capoeira and some acrobatics ;]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
aikido 5 years, i stoped it because the place got closed, also no interest into this art anymore, i got to other sport activitis used.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
I stick to Capoeira and some acrobatics ;]
I was researching into Capoeira, it sounds extremely interesting, especially for improving your cardiovascular system and flexibility.

Best answers
I currently take Tae Kwon Do, Kick Boxing, and Gymnastics. I take Gymnastics, so that I can mix the flips and things you learn there, with my multiple fighting styles. I have a friend in L.A., who is part of the Martial Arts training called "E.M.C.". It stands for "Evolved Monkey Combat", and he shows me new styles all the time. Like for instance, my new favorite style in Martial Arts is the monkey style. If you're not familiar with it, it's also reffered to as the "drunken style". I'm a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and have been taking Gymnastics, as well as Kick Boxing, for a long time. I like to show off to people with all the attack flips I can do and stuff, so I guess you could call me a show off =/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom