Mars Supported Microbial Life

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7137793.stm

May have, anyway. The more we learn about Mars, the more the planet seems like a dead (or not) Earth, rather than just an inhospitable wasteland. It'd be interesting to find out just how far life progressed on that planet before the **** hit the fan.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, yes. If it was, in fact, host to life, perhaps it evolved further than we have?

It's not impossible that there was some kind of sentient species living there. I mean, how much time hasn't passed before we got Hubble and expeditions to Mars? There's no telling what we might find there. Hell, there might be building and entire cities under the surface - if not advanced, then perhaps primitive? That might shut some of the religious fanatics up.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, could be possible that Mars had already begun terraforming, etc, and a large asteroid or meteor ended up stunting the planet's growth.

Who knows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth, what's terraforming mean? >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With the planet's age, it may very well have been a civilized planet a long long long long long time ago. I'm talking millions upon millions of years ago, of course.

Edit: Terraforming is giving a planet a liveable atmosphere, I believe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. ;o

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
terra = landmass, forming = to shape, or to give form.

terraforming = to shape the land.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's the second definition, where you're physically shaping the landscape to make it seem more like Earth's. When used in the context of celestial objects, it means to alter the environment in such a way that it becomes habitable to terrestrial life.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always been of the opinion that Mars was once more habitable than it is now. I'm glad to see that the evidence keeps pointing in that direction.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I hope it's not like that "Worms on Mars" thing and that Bill Clinton won't give another speech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom