Mapping?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, I started mapping when I was 14(the beginning of the year), so age has nothing to do with it, just get a positive attitude, and hey, I know what your problem is...

Well did you select the brush tool on the left side of hammer? That's the only cause of this problem that I know about, just look at the left side of hammer, there ought to be a brush tool there in the middle somewhere, it's a gray box btw(the button).

Best answers
yeah so this how everything goes first new map ok. then i create an entity ok (but still can't figure out if it's bad that it's not all green like it see through.) then i create the entity.....then i bring out the brush tool the one with the solid brick . i make a box and when i look at the top front, and side veiws it's blue dotted lines ok.. let go and it stays like that what then cause in the tutorial it says press enter if i do it goes away and focuses on the entity. is this detailed enough so that you guys can maybe figure this out. ohh and about the attitude i was really tired last night and had recently did a huge project for school. im still willing to try. Thankz guys! :D

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Screw blue dotted lines thats for selecting stuff.

If you are making brushes you need full white lines.

When you select the brush tool. Simply make a box and hit enter (if you see white lines).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What?! Which tutorial told you to use the dots?! They must be out of their minds, that's so confusing! 0_o

Just use lines like grega said, and if you have problems, we would be able to help you more if you make a pic maybe, like they say "a picture is worth 1000 words" ^^

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you select the brush tool, and you start dragging the outline to make a box; on the side bar, is the selection tool selected instead? I'm starting to think that maybe when you select the brush tool and start making a box that it automatically switches back to the selection tool.

Best answers
yeah that woudl help if i knew how to take a pic. of it donneirisk. BUt how can i do that cause then you could really help me.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you're in Valve Hammer just hit the "prt scr" key on your keyboard and open paint, then go to edit > paste, then to file > save as [name].jpg then upload it to www.imageshack.us

Best answers
ok the tutorial i get stuck on is dj-readys first room. ok so i make an entity but.....its not inbetween the green,blue,red lines that are connected. then its says, "isnt just a simple player a bit too simple? right...
were going to create some walls, a roof and a ground around our player.
first we create a big brush around the player. select a nice texture in the texture browser and then select the brush tool and try to create your first brush." ok then i select a nice texture in texture browser and the select the tool that says apply texture ok then i make a square press enter and it stays now but then the tutrial says in camera view its red ablocks and then it hollows it and then somehow he gets that texture up there......ahhh so frustrating..........and i still don't know what keys you are talking about MC.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Forget about that reply (I deleted it).

Red blocks? That means you have brushes selected. Once you have the box, you go to tools > make hollow > change the value to 16 (according to the tutorial). Once you do that, you right click on the hollowed box and click on ungroup, then just follow the rest of the tutorial.

Best answers
nahh forget it is there something else i could do for the community like mdoeling or is mapping the easiest. it's just to compliccated for me im not stupid but i mean it just doesn't work for me because i see the tutorial i wish somone would make a video cause that would be totally understandable. Wait (lightbulb) is it possible for you guys that you could make a video for me, no wait for anyone that would like mapping.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Modeling in my opinion is harder than mapping in a certain respect, even though both are pretty similar. I did know of a site that had video tutorials, but I don't think they were for the original Valve Hammer, I'll see if I can find it (or any).

Best answers
yes sounds excelent good work cause like i saw in one of you threads you had a video of something, one of your pagoda maps or something, ohh by the way that map looks cool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Modeling is MUCH harder imo, you have to place every single vertice, it's pretty boring for me, other people like doing that though, but mapping is my happiness.
Maybe I can make a video for you, but what do you want me to show you everything? Like first off, making a brush, then hollowing it out, etc?

Oh and btw, did you read the hammer tutorial IN hammer? That might help a bit too, trust me.

Best answers
Si yo tengo un video de mapping. lol studying spanish. that would be muy excellento. (gotta stop doing that) *hits self in head. Just excactly what you said...do that like start off. ohh wheres the tutorial.....i'll find it. So uhh Donnierisk how long will it take for you to make the movie?

Best answers
Im sensing this will take a while.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
How long is this going to take donnierisk? Man i can't wait to be mapping and stuff.

Best answers
Umm hey are you making that video donnierisk? cause i still don't know how to make maps. umm you there.................im getting lonely. JK But seroiusly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basslover722, no need to triple post, just PM (private message) him.

I'll make a video tutorial if you want, I don't know what program to use to record though.

Best answers
?

Ravendust said:
Basslover722, no need to triple post, just PM (private message) him.

I'll make a video tutorial if you want, I don't know what program to use to record though.
Dude that would be great Ravendust im sorry about the triple posting wouln't happen again. Yeah i don't know what program you could use. once i saw somone using hammer and posted a pic. from fraps like they used fraps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, fraps, I'm very sorry for not replying man, I forgot about this thread, I'm very forgetfull, ask the ppl that know me 0_o.

Ravendust can try to make one too, if you want to, I'll try tonight I'm finished with my exams on wednesday, but I'm only "writing" art so I'll have spare time to do it in, btw, did you read the hammer's tutorial and the ones on esf-world?

Best answers
Wow Thanks Donnerisk ive just been really up tight lately w/ school if oyu could just film some of the basic things like starting off and making some blocks just things you really need to know that would be excellent. You can put the link here when your done i just think it would be good for me and the community that want to map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom