Mapping, DJ-Ready

Best answers
I've recently just started back at half-life mapping after a 2/3 year break and I am full of some questions hopefully there not to irrotating, anyway here goes.......

sorry DJ can never seem to catch you on aim atm!

I am trying to create a palm tree using the func_illusionary method, at the moment I have a tree sprite, using a blue background at 0, 0, 255 values. The func_illusionary settings I used were,, rendermode solid and renderfx 255.

The problem I get here is that the blue doesn't appear transparent ingame I checked the colour with the eye dropper in photoshop pure 0, 0, 255 and also I entered the texture {PALM_TOP in the wad.

I don't really get it :S

Next thing is, I haven't yet experimented with the hull during compiling so I have to test that. Whats the best solution for that?

Also when I create a large environment there seems to be a limit of 4096 grid units. Do I get around this by compiling with the hull file, or do I have to abide by this limit.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Showster said:
I am trying to create a palm tree using the func_illusionary method, at the moment I have a tree sprite, using a blue background at 0, 0, 255 values. The func_illusionary settings I used were,, rendermode solid and renderfx 255.

The problem I get here is that the blue doesn't appear transparent ingame I checked the colour with the eye dropper in photoshop pure 0, 0, 255 and also I entered the texture {PALM_TOP in the wad.
Are you certain the pure blue color is the last color in the palette?

Showster said:
Next thing is, I haven't yet experimented with the hull during compiling so I have to test that. Whats the best solution for that?
Make sure you have Zoner's compile tools or a good equivalent (i.e. not the default Hammer compile tools). I'm not sure if that's required, but you shouldn't be using the old ones anyway. =)

Then add this command to your CSG process.
-hullfile C:\wherever\your\hullfile\is\esf.hull

Showster said:
Also when I create a large environment there seems to be a limit of 4096 grid units. Do I get around this by compiling with the hull file, or do I have to abide by this limit.
Well, that's kind of the reason the hull file is used. You can't make the allotted size for a map bigger. However, the hull file achieves the effect by scaling the player down. The map grid size will remain the same in the editor, but you'll be making your maps at a much smaller scale.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
dragondude said pretty much everything already ^^

it might be usefull to know that the hullfile doesnt have to be a .hull file ... mine is hulls.txt ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember reading that you must remain at least 64 units away from the world edges, or you might have a few problems. I have never gotten any problems myself, but my advice is to stick to that rule just in case.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So that texture has the { before the name in the WAD? That texture's color palate must have 0,0,255 blue in the very last color block. In Hammer, you created the brush as you wanted it, and then, you tied it to the func_illusionary entity with the settings you mentioned above? If that's right, then it won't be a sprite ingame, just a 2D, non rotating palm tree. I don't see why it wouldn't work. You are using Zoner's based compiling tools (Zoner's itself, XP-Cagey's, Merl's, etc.)?

Best answers
Fixed it was the texture, I was adding the blue colour for masking incorrect in photoshop. To save time for someone else heres how to do it succesfully in Photoshop.

----- Get your alpha image open

----- Cut out the area you want transparent

----- change the colour mode to indexed, perceptual, 256, make sure transparency is selected.

----- now you have to go to the colour mode/palette and find the last texture which should be transparent and change its value to 0, 0, 255.

Export the texture as a bmp from photoshop and open it up in a wad editor.
Add the "{" key before your texture name and hey presto transparency image!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I was adding a fill layer of 255 merging the layers then exporting don't think half-life liked the simple way :)

peace

Showster

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
its pretty simple, once you know how to do it XD
good old hl ;)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just note that when you add the pure blue color for your texture's background, you're not going to want to blend the image with the blue background. If you do that, you're going to see a blueish outline on your texture ingame, as the blended shades of blue won't be rendered invisible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom