Map Limitations and question

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I need to know what the maximum polys can be used per map, and the maximum texture resolution or the res usually used.

because the map im making, im not sure if its too big or past the limits.

any response is appriciated

Edit: oh and another question, does it support texture movies? (dont know the real name of it) like taking clip of a movie and put it on the map for an example.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WPoly (polygons) is relative to each computer, but I would say you should try not to exceed 1200. To get this number, go ingame and type "R_Speeds 1". It will display WPoly and EPoly (that is polygons on models and entities).

The recommended maximum texture size for HL is 256x256, but you could use 512x512 with no problems.

Those are called animated textures. You will have to take each frame of the movie and make it into a .JPG. Using Wally's Texture Editor (search for on Google), you must convert that into a .WAD file. I don't remember the actual format for the name needed, but you can search it on Google (animated textures half life).

You should post images of your map, so we can make an educated guess on wheather you are over the regular limitations or not.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
i wouldnt recommend playing a movie as +x_xxx texture (animated texture) since every texture is pre-loaded by your vram. but it would be possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom