map is ready

Best answers
so, done it! :laff:
my first map for esf is ready.
and as i want it to be downloaded more than
8 times i have to do a little advert :rolleyes:
theres a link under my sig to download it.
and here are some screenshots:
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7
open for crit. :smile:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say that is very good for a first try. :yes:

One crit though: what is that piece of land in picture 6? Not the island with the house, but the sandy area with the palm trees. It looks very high up. o_O What's it supposed to be? You should make a screenshot from where the house is, looking at that area, so we can see. It looks a little weird in this map, because the rest is just water.

I like how you've added some under-water stuff too, but the underwater plants seem unnaturally placed: they're in rows. o_O Place them more at random and it'll look much better. And try not to place too many, or else it'll lag, and that's a bad thing because the plants aren't even that important ^^

Besides that, it's a great first try, I'll download it and see for myself :yes:

EDIT: Okay, I can't get the map to work. I get an error saying it cannot find rocher.mdl. Make sure you put all the required model files in the zip/rar file, then upload it again. :3

Best answers
hmm, if i look at the screens i think it good for a first map, i don't think you want to see my first map, i didn't make anything good yet, but i'm busy again, learn more and get better that's what i always say to myself, now if that rocher.mdl is uploaded i'll download it and play it :)

Best answers
ok heres the deal... i copied over the rock model and renamed it using the name of the missing model, that will have to do it untill he remakes the file with the missing model in there

heres a shot

now you should look up hull file on this forum... you need certain files because the map didnt render correctly(there was an invisable ground ontop of what you wanted the ground to be so it looks like the characters are floating when their not flying...) other then that its alright

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:

One crit though: what is that piece of land in picture 6? Not the island with the house, but the sandy area with the palm trees. It looks very high up. o_O What's it supposed to be? You should make a screenshot from where the house is, looking at that area, so we can see. It looks a little weird in this map, because the rest is just water.

I like how you've added some under-water stuff too, but the underwater plants seem unnaturally placed: they're in rows. o_O Place them more at random and it'll look much better. And try not to place too many, or else it'll lag, and that's a bad thing because the plants aren't even that important ^^

EDIT: Okay, I can't get the map to work. I get an error saying it cannot find rocher.mdl. Make sure you put all the required model files in the zip/rar file, then upload it again. :3
ok i will upload the mdl

Best answers
also put a clip brush (a brush\box with the clip texture on it) inbetween the level and the sky brushes this will prevent you from falling the level and from getting that funky graphics thing when you get too close to the sky...

its also kind of funky to be standing on the ground and being able to look out and see the sky straght ahead of you, may i suggest the levels edges be above the water with a thick jungel like look to it just to make it look a little less funky... you could also, as an alternative look around for a sky graphic that looks like an ocean or something like that... if you cant find one find out how to make one

Best answers
evirustheslaye said:
also put a clip brush (a brush\box with the clip texture on it) inbetween the level and the sky brushes this will prevent you from falling the level and from getting that funky graphics thing when you get too close to the sky...

its also kind of funky to be standing on the ground and being able to look out and see the sky straght ahead of you, may i suggest the levels edges be above the water with a thick jungel like look to it just to make it look a little less funky... you could also, as an alternative look around for a sky graphic that looks like an ocean or something like that... if you cant find one find out how to make one
like you can see on the pics i have a oceanic sky :S
i alredy forgot to put it into the .zip ;D

edit:but i really don't know what you mean with this clip thing
or the funky graphic ...??!!

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:

it´s just a piece of an isle or sth. like that 'cause i thought the map looks so empty! ;)
i also wanted to add some clouds(with sprites you know)but there was a black area around them also in the game after compiling!
i didn't get trough to get rid of it! ;(

ok the "full" version (with all the mdl´s and the sky) is ready to download now! :yes:

sorry for double posting :cry:

Best answers
a clip brush is an object (called brush in level design) will render as an invisable block or wall.... so the player cant see it... it can be used on the sides of the map to prevent players from falling off passed the water and land... the "funky graphics" occure on normal esf maps if you go all the way to the top of the level or all the way to the sides sometimes, i cant realy describe it though

making a clip brush is done just by making a normal brush and putting the clip surface on it, this tells the program not to show it in the final level

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not bad for a first map. It seems really empty, though. I'd either add more islands, or make it smaller. It's good you know how to insert models correctly. You've got some really bad texture-stretching in that last picture, the underwater one, though. Sized-up textures are good, as they can speed up compile time, but not if they detract from the look of the map.

The geometry is rough and primitive, but you'll get better at that with experience. Try blending the grass with the sand edges of Roshi's island, too.

You've got the basics down, just keep it up.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that's your 1st map ? that's dam good ,you must have put your heart and soul into that map.

9/10. I will play on it for sure ;).

Best answers
DragonDude said:
Not bad for a first map. It seems really empty, though. I'd either add more islands, or make it smaller. It's good you know how to insert models correctly. You've got some really bad texture-stretching in that last picture, the underwater one, though. Sized-up textures are good, as they can speed up compile time, but not if they detract from the look of the map.

The geometry is rough and primitive, but you'll get better at that with experience. Try blending the grass with the sand edges of Roshi's island, too.

You've got the basics down, just keep it up.
actualy i think the underwater texture is pretty good... ive been to some beaches where the sand underwarter looks like that from the waves and stuff

YOU NEED TO COMPILE WITH ESF'S HULL FILE
i said this already but without the hull file the characters dont drop to the ground correctly they stop short of it and appear to float

also... to the maker of the map

DMW

Best answers
I like it,im gonna get it right now and play it.Thats very good for a first try,you got a mapping talent,Good Job :D

Best answers
Saiyan_Overlord said:
that's your 1st map ? that's dam good ,you must have put your heart and soul into that map.

9/10. I will play on it for sure ;).
it's my first esf map
i've alredy mapped for cs but this is
completly different! ;)
to you evirus:i tried to compile it with the
hullfile but then esf just crashed when i wanted to play! :cry:

-edit:k dudes i'm on the way to make it look better you will hear from me if it is ready again! ;) -

Best answers
after you get it all fixed and what not i suggest you change the name... ive already played the map in my online server so a few people already have it

Best answers
so...here are some pics how far i am atm.
not all your suggestions have been realized yet :p
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
thx for lookin'
open up for crit again ;)

-to you evirus: i've changed that 'funky graphic thing' ;) -

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom