Map Error

Best answers
I just recently started mapping. Followed this tutorial ( http://www.esf-world.com/tutorials/first_room.html ) without any problems at all. I created a few more maps, again, no problem. Now all of a sudden I can't seem to get them to decompile correctly. I get a leak every single time. I even went back and did the first room tutorial again, got a leak error:

Code:
Warning: === LEAK in hull 0 ===
Entity light_environment @ ( -64, -64,   0)
Error: 
  A LEAK is a hole in the map, where the inside of it is exposed to the
(unwanted) outside region.  The entity listed in the error is just a helpful
indication of where the beginning of the leak pointfile starts, so the
beginning of the line can be quickly found and traced to until reaching the
outside. Unless this entity is accidentally on the outside of the map, it
probably should not be deleted.  Some complex rotating objects entities need
their origins outside the map.  To deal with these, just enclose the origin
brush with a solid world brush

Leak pointfile generated

Warning: === LEAK in hull 1 ===
Warning: === LEAK in hull 2 ===
Warning: === LEAK in hull 3 ===
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're decompiling your own maps? o_O
A leak is when you have a "hole" in your map, an opening from the area the player walks around in, to the outside void of the map matrix. Imagine that the inside of a map is the inside of a space station, if you had a hole you'd lose all the oxygen into space and everyone would die. Except instead of dying, VIS and RAD don't run, simple enough. :p
There's no absolute way to find it, you just have to look around. The entity indicated is just the closest entity in the map to the leak. It's a good indication, but don't rely on it to pinpoint *exactly* where the leak is.
A good method to find the leak is to load up the map that was compiled, and type pointfile in the console. This will make a series of dotted lines appear in the map, and they will give an indication as to where the leak is. Also note, if you have any brush-based entities such as func_walls as a wall without a world brush covering it, it will generate a leak.
Leaks can be difficult to find, but they're not impossible to find. Once you fix the leak, then the map should compile fine. Good luck. ;)

Best answers
Gah, meant compile. lol

I tried the pointfile method, but I couldn't see a thing because of the map error. When i moved it left a trace of the model and anything i look at.

Even the most basic maps like this ( http://www.acidhacks.com/test.rmf ) come with leak errors. No matter what i do, I can't seem to create a map without a leak. I was compiling them fine before, using the same exact method.

Edit: If I move all of the walls back a few times and then forward again, it works fine...must be a problem when ungrouping.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
make sure the player cannot look into the "void". that means the space outside the map. think of your map like a big glass.. if you fill it with water, nothing have to leave the map ;) .... i suggest you check our outside walls n stuff.... oh, and an outside wall needs to be solid, func_walls n stuff cause leaks if u use them as an outside wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom