Making video files smaller

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Alright, so lately, I've been recording a lot of video's in game. I have both GameCam and Fraps retail. However, Fraps gives me a very good quality picture at the expense of a huge file. GameCam is lesser quality but the files are smaller. So I was wondering if there was any good program (free or not I don't care) that could possibly change my fraps files into a smaller size file but still keep some or most of the quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I wasn't too sure where to put this thread, I figured since it related to video games on my end of the spectrum to put it in the Video Gaming thread.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use XFire and it has just perfect size.
Also, you can change the size by importing movie into Movie Maker and exporting it as a movie where you can set how big do you want it to be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, you can change the size by importing movie into Movie Maker and exporting it as a movie where you can set how big do you want it to be.
Lowering the output video size also lowers the quality, and WMM can only import videos to WMV format.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#videocap

"Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:
Start VirtualDub
Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.

If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 800x600 or under."

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As Kam suggested, VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod are your best choices.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Adobe Premiere Pro, if you have the cash.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Really? Because I've heard terrible things about virtual dub. That things don't always work right etc.

If I were to use virtualdub, which codec would I want to change the video to, to lower the size, but not the quality?

Also, I've heard about Adobe Premier, I thought it was just an editing tool, does it change formats as well?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Abode Premiere is the Professional tool, it does everything.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Really? Because I've heard terrible things about virtual dub. That things don't always work right etc.

If I were to use virtualdub, which codec would I want to change the video to, to lower the size, but not the quality?

Also, I've heard about Adobe Premier, I thought it was just an editing tool, does it change formats as well?
If you use VirtualDub, I'd recommend encoding with XVID if you have a Pentium IV or AMD chip, or H.264 if you've got a Core 2 chip.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate apple, but quicktime mov* is also really good.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally find DivX with custom settings is the best tool I can find for encoding a high quality, small size video. Doesn't matter what program you use, as long as you're encoding with the DivX codec. On normal settings you'll get a rather mediocre output, but set it to "insane quality", and set things like noise-detection to auto and other settings towards quality, and while you won't QUITE get the compression you would just out of pure performance based encoding, you can have a 5 minute video that's only 50 megabytes in size, yet still have such superb quality that it looks almost unchanged from the original capture frames. I use it for anything I render out of 3d studio max for these reasons, because you can lose a LOT of essential detail in video noise from encoding a video to a tiny size with a default encoding codec.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Abode Premiere is the Professional tool, it does everything.
SOLD! I'll have to pick it up. Thanks.

:edit:

Never mind on that one, I don't think I can shell out 800 dollars at this time D:

I'll have to stick with Virtual dub, so any info on what to change to format to with Virtual dub would be great.

Last edited:

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry for off-topic question but, Is Premier > Vegas?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
virtual dub... owell i dont think its "tooo" usefull. Though it was nice to change the codecs.

like warren says, Adobe Premiere.

Best answers
Dr.Divx can set the file size ur looking for, change settings to ur liking.

Best answers
hey first off what kind of file are you trying to shrink and are you trying to change the format or keep it the same because different programs work better for different formats and some work better when you are keeping it the same like avi to avi just smaller

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom