Making files a MUST download in my steam server

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Hey, I have a dedicated steam server (ESF), And I want to ask how can I make a file (its a Text Document file, map description) to have-to-download-from-the-server-in-order-to-log-in-to-server file.

Like making it download from the server for people who don't have that file.

Thank you

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Usually when a client doesn't have the required files for the server, the client automatically downloads the files needed from the server. However, I don't think there's a way to force a client to download a specific file.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I got amxx on my server. What do I do to make that file a MUST download?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I am not sure if that is possible if the server is not using it. I mean, people could abuse that it order for a person to force-download an infected (virus) file(s).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its possible.

If i remember correctly. Map files (apart from the actuall BSP) like models and the skybox textures, wad files and so on can be forced onto the client ^^

All you need to do is make a .res file (i think its .res but im not 100% on that). The file should have the same name as the map. Inside the file you have paths to the files needed to download relative to the mod directory.

Lets say you want to make the client download model1.mdl and model2.mdl on the map named example.bsp

You name a file named example.res

The inside of the file would look like this:

/models/model1.mdl
/models/model2.mdl

Its something in that direction. That allso makes people download the wad files they dont have, as long as the wad file is named inside the .res file for the map.

Each map has its own .res file though.

EDIT: Oh yea and the .res file must be in the maps directory, where the BSP file for the map is ^^

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Its possible.

If i remember correctly. Map files (apart from the actuall BSP) like models and the skybox textures, wad files and so on can be forced onto the client ^^

All you need to do is make a .res file (i think its .res but im not 100% on that). The file should have the same name as the map. Inside the file you have paths to the files needed to download relative to the mod directory.

Lets say you want to make the client download model1.mdl and model2.mdl on the map named example.bsp

You name a file named example.res

The inside of the file would look like this:

/models/model1.mdl
/models/model2.mdl

Its something in that direction. That allso makes people download the wad files they dont have, as long as the wad file is named inside the .res file for the map.

Each map has its own .res file though.

EDIT: Oh yea and the .res file must be in the maps directory, where the BSP file for the map is ^^
Your awesome thanks. But I don't need to put like steamapps/account/hl/esf... etc...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Your awesome thanks. But I don't need to put like steamapps/account/hl/esf... etc...
Nope, the server grabs it from the folder where the game is being played. So the steamapps, etc is not needed and won't be accepted either way ;p.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
little example:
PHP:
#include <amxmodx>
public plugin_init()
{
    register_plugin("Simple HC file downloader", "1.0", "Green" );
}

public plugin_precache()
{
    precache_generic( "models/model1.mdl" );
    precache_generic( "models/model2.mdl" );
    precache_generic( "models/model3.mdl" );
}
Note:
currently model1, model2 and model3 will be downloaded from the server. BUT if the file exists already on the client, then it will not be downloaded at all.
Be carefull with this, especially if you are using ECX

Force Pit Member
Best answers
little example:
PHP:
#include <amxmodx>
public plugin_init()
{
    register_plugin("Simple HC file downloader", "1.0", "Green" );
}

public plugin_precache()
{
    precache_generic( "models/model1.mdl" );
    precache_generic( "models/model2.mdl" );
    precache_generic( "models/model3.mdl" );
}
Note:
currently model1, model2 and model3 will be downloaded from the server. BUT if the file exists already on the client, then it will not be downloaded at all.
Be carefull with this, especially if you are using ECX
Where that file is located?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
No I mean the all thing that greenberet wrote. Its a already made text file right?

I didn't understand what greenberet meant.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No I mean the all thing that greenberet wrote. Its a already made text file right?

I didn't understand what greenberet meant.
Green wrote the code for an AMXX pluggin that forces people joining the server to download model1, model2 and model3

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Green wrote the code for an AMXX pluggin that forces people joining the server to download model1, model2 and model3
So im supposed to copy paste it? How ill make amxx file?

By the way your .res file didn't helped somehow, bummer, thanks though
»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««
AutoMerged DoublePost
»»»»»»»»»»»««««««««««««
Thats what I did, tell me if I was wrong.

All is in dedicated server game folders:

I put in ESF maps folder my esf_stadium.txt file and I have put the esf_stadium.res file as well. I created the .res file by creating new notepad and then doing the end of the title called .res . I have written in the .res file this line maps\esf_stadium.txt

It still doesn't work. What I did wrong? Please help its very important

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well I have a different way to fix it but for that I need Message of the Day and I have no idea how to put it in the server. Help again.. Damn im lame xD

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a file called motd.txt in your ESF folder. If there isn't, then create one. Just put whatever you want in there, and it will automatically show when someone joins the server. You don't have to send it to them or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom