Make a fold - tutorial

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just want to share a little tutorial I made for ShadyD nothing special but it may help!
If you guys like it you can sticky it but its not that important
Have funeh!

ok here's a fast tutorial on how to make them folds

STEP 1:

For a start choose a grey color (recommended) but in this case I used orange just for fun. Then paint on teh thingy.

STEP 2:

Select teh pencil and draw folds as you wish them to look

STEP 3:

Now select teh Burn tool and burn over the black lines and on some place between them

STEP 4:

Its time to do it with Dodge tool
Just spit it out above the black lines and burns

STEP 5:

Now select the smudge tool and play with it a little (I smudged it from left to right in this one)

STEP 6:

You dont have to do this but I was just playing so I selected the Spunge tool and runned over whole thing

STEP 7:

Now press [ctrl] + and play with the tool (color,shadow,highlights) untill you get the color you want

p.s. If some other skinners can post in here on how to make other things so it will be helpfull and all in one place ;)

Best answers
The outcome isn't all that bad, but burn and dodge isn't the way to go, you should paint instead.
But I guess it's a good tutorial for the beginners, gj

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh it was just a quick photoshop job (about 10 minutes) but it will help teh begginers, yes.

Anyway if skinners (or photoshop expirienced guys) can do the same 10 step tutorial like I did...I will be happy XD
No realy it will help tha developer community begginers

I mean they have 3d modeling tutorials right? now they need skining or what ever.

If someone is willing to post go ahead but dont spam with "search google" or some lame links
Make your own stuff so people can see that it is easy to do :E

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Imade a quick tut on brushing folds. Nothing special at all, but it could be helpful, maybe I can make a more detailed tut later :p. first go here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v293/raiko1/tut/

ok, from 1 to 10

1- pick out your base color, your shadowed color and your highlight color. then fill the canvas with your base color

2- create a new layer. Then take a low opacity [around 12%] hard brush with a lowered flow [about 75] set to multiply with your base color and make the a base shadows.

3- then go over it with that same brush to make darker shadows, since multiply is on, the brush will darken whatever you already drew [not effecting the background]

4- now, make your brush smaller and draw in the smaller, darker shadows in the folds.

5- create a new layer. Now you take your highlight color and you can start high lighting, but first turn the blend mode from multiply to screen. Then draw the base highlights

6- now this works just like the shadows, except whatever you draw over becomes lighter. The advantage of working in layers ofcourse, is not effecting the background, so the folds are easily edited.

7- repeat step 6 but with a finer brush to get in those very distinct highlights.

8- 9 -10 basically this is touching up, now what I have done is far from anything usable, but its purpose is to give you a basic idea of how to brush without dodge and burn. step 8 is smudgind and smoothing out the shadows and highlights, step 9 is adding the surronding shadows and blending them into the folds and makign them flow with the folds [which i didn't do very well :p]. Then 10 is just finishing up and stuff.

Hope it helps a bit, i know it sucks da big one, so I will probally just make a better one later....

Best answers
I couldn't be arsed to make 9 steps lol so i'll just tell you what i did quickly.

NOTE: I'm not a great skinner and some might not like my style.

To make this I used the greyscale technique. i started with darkgrey with opacity around 10%, painting simple lines to get the right shape. then i painted with a lighter grey and highlighted with a very light grey in the middle. to get a good transition between colours i used the smudge tool at around 15% strength. dont overdo it or it wil get blurry.then i overlayed some colors, pretty easy.

---

The only way to get good at skinning is to practise a lot, look at other people's work and learn from it (not clone or rip it -_-) and then develop your own style. learn the basics of photoshop, learn to use it's tools and you'll get good fast.
If enough people want me to, i'll make a better and more detailed tutorial in the future.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, finally a Skinning tut made lol.

Thanks guys I'll use the tutorials =P

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey big thanks guys :)
pump it up...MORE MORE MORE!!!

p.s. can a mod sticky this?

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does anyone want any metal, plastic, etc. tutorials? I wouldn't mind making one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
metal:

older than dirt and totally outdated but might help people.

I can also write some tutorials if anyone would like.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why sticky it? i think merging it with the current stickied huge tut thread would be better.

were tying to have not too many stickies =/

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
umm do what ever but if you want to merge it than you have to make a tutorial :p

DMW

Best answers
Yea I needed this,thx for taking the time out to post this everyone.

Best answers
I might post a tutorial on Skinning a face. I did some reskinning in my day. :) Of course it will be beginner things, and probably use photo manip, but it worked. I took the Miyamoto model from TS, took the painted face, and replaced it with Takeshi Kaneshiro's actual face, and it looked exactly like him. The nose was a bit too thin, but that was the modelers fault. Oh well, looked cool though. I'll edit this with a tutorial for all the young'n's ^_^

Best answers
Thanks Dendza and all the other guys with the tutorials.Now i'll start skinning again :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what program is that used with? the goku shirt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom